Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Just learnt about Kindling - I have made a terrible, terrible mistake.

Blogs

Notices

Just learnt about Kindling - I have made a terrible, terrible mistake.

Old 04-17-2015, 12:53 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I think your plan to get checked over by the doctor and try an AA meeting is a good one. And hooray for having a plan! It helps me a lot.

Like our friends here said, I would avoid the drinking environments for a while. Protecting your sobriety has to be a priority. The withdrawals really scared me too, that's one of my motivators for making a plan to never go through it again.

Last year when I was drinking (I have had a lot of day ones) and went through a horrible withdrawal, I didn't sleep. It was horrible and I did take some Nightol. I told a pharmacist that I was withdrawing and got the okay from my doctor before I took it which I recommend as they might not interact well with everyone! It will pass though. I'm on day seven and feeling less exhausted already.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:46 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I have no idea what kindling is.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kindling (sedative-hypnotic withdrawal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

D
The Following User Says Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
Gottalife (04-19-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

It's the scariest thing about alcoholism I have ever read - I don't know how i never found it until now (like most people with concerns about their drinking I have spent many a night reading through alcoholism information online). I can only hope that when they say 'multiple withdrawals' they just meant more severe withdrawals, rather than every single time one stops drinking after a heavy binge!
Old 04-17-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

It also explains a lot, I was really struggling to understand why my hangovers/withdrawals were getting worse despite the duration and level of consumption of my binges getting smaller, I had just put it down to age or declining tolerance, but this makes it very clear.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:43 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Hello Member

I'm coming to this thread very late but I wanted to jump in and welcome you.

I knew nothing of kindling until I read about it on this site. It was enough to convince me never to tempt fate again. I'm now well over 2 years sober and my attitude to life (and to myself) has been transformed.

Stick with it, Member. The early days are the longest and the most difficult, but you've got a whole bunch of people here who understand and will be willing and able to support you every step of the way.

And here's a special hug from me - I'm so very sorry about your Dad xxx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HeadLump For This Useful Post:
Boxer (07-01-2015), readerbaby71 (04-19-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thank you! I just ran my fingers through my hair and felt the scar from having a bottle broken over my head in a drunken fight 3 years ago, and looking down I see the cigarette burns in my expensive coat from when I was drunk a few days ago. Yeah, this getting drunk thing isn't working for me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Member For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (04-17-2015), DitzyDandelion (07-20-2015), Fluffer (04-17-2015), HeadLump (04-17-2015), readerbaby71 (04-19-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 02:07 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Member View Post
Thank you! I just ran my fingers through my hair and felt the scar from having a bottle broken over my head in a drunken fight 3 years ago, and looking down I see the cigarette burns in my expensive coat from when I was drunk a few days ago. Yeah, this getting drunk thing isn't working for me.
I hope you are doing okay today Member.

I ended up in hospital in January with a head injury through drinking. It's good to remember these things when that voice creeps in and says "oh, you don't have a problem!"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JaneLane For This Useful Post:
Boxer (07-01-2015), jazzfish (04-18-2015), MelindaFlowers (04-19-2015), readerbaby71 (04-19-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

To be honest guys, I slipped and had two beers on Friday night. I know, I know, I am an idiot and my willpower is pathetic. I drank nothing yesterday, again I will return my focus to not drink until I am back in the UK and get into my first meeting.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
quat

I found SR when searching online for anxiety related to alcohol and ran across kindling, scared the crap out of me, because it seemed to explain the symptoms I was experiencing. Through most of drinking I never really had a problem with hangovers, if I just toughed it through by about 2 pm things settled down and by 4-5 pm the idea of the first beer was sounding wonderful. But the last few years of drinking had changed , almost daily bouts of anxiety and I think I few panic attacks, getting so I was having a hard time ignoring them. Not to mention that I really started to get the idea that I was addicted to alcohol, but for the most part I was not detered , like the hangovers I just plowed through. Until I couldnt , I finally reached the point of enough is enough, sick and tired of being.. ect.
I had many 'never agains' but really started to mean or at least wanted to want to really mean it. Reading about kindling sure helped tip the scales. When I first logged on to SR , I saw mention of AVRT/RR and then read their material and it really resonated with me. There is a great thread here in the secular connections section. I would suggest checking out their website and looking at the free online crash course. Today is always the best day to quit, wish you well and hope to see you around
The Following User Says Thank You to dwtbd For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Member View Post
To be honest guys, I slipped and had two beers on Friday night. I know, I know, I am an idiot and my willpower is pathetic. I drank nothing yesterday, again I will return my focus to not drink until I am back in the UK and get into my first meeting.
I'll ask the question. What will you do differently next time to avoid drinking? (ask myself the same question)
The Following User Says Thank You to Tang For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 05:33 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Having "quit" many times over the years, and going cold turkey, I can attest that Kindling is a very real and devastating thing. Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome is as well.

The first time I stopped, I had three weeks of withdrawal hell. I thought that was bad. It was.

This time, it was three grueling months. And some have it worse than that.
The Following User Says Thank You to livinginhope For This Useful Post:
Boxer (07-01-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I was once concerned about brain damage.There are tests for that and they found that, despite 40 years of episodic drinking there was little evidence of brain damage. They were however very worried about my liver but it too recovered and I'm all right there and have nearly 26 years sobriety. My advice is that you should seek medical help immediately and if you cannot get it traveling your first priority should be to return to your home where you can get it. Sounds like your liver,if not your brain, is at risk.Good luck.

W.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wpainterw For This Useful Post:
Boxer (07-01-2015), readerbaby71 (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

There are many different aspects and concerns with a drinking problem. Health is only one of them. Of course, without good health, we have nothing. I found that my health was most definitely a factor while drinking. However, every other aspect of my life was affected as well. My social life, my personal life, my financial situation, my mental health, which, of course, is another aspect of health. I hope you continue to evaluate your drinking and explore what you would like to do about it. Please remember while drinking, it never gets any better. It only gets worse. The only way for life to truly improve is to completely stop drinking, forever.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I guess I should stop posting here as I have failed, but I can assure you I have in no way forgotten what I have learnt about the seriousness of my situation over the last few days. For the first time I have the firm desire to stop drinking now. I never imagined it would be like this, I imagined I would choose a date, have a last bottle of my favourite wine and stop with a plan and support assembled. But I didn't realize the urgency.
The Following User Says Thank You to Member For This Useful Post:
readerbaby71 (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
quat

Sometimes things dont go according to plan, and sometimes we fail to plan, either way there is always a chance to make a better one.
Switch to water, forego any 'last hoorah'?! and wake up quit, last minute I know, but as plans go, totally doable
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwtbd For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (04-19-2015), readerbaby71 (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Definitely don't stop posting here. Everyone gets as many chances as they need here. The goal is to stay quit and while getting it right the first time would be great, that ever so rarely happens. Most people here (I'm assuming) probably have 25+ 'quits' before anything stuck. The point is to keep trying, as every day away from booze is another step forward towards a much better situation in every aspect LosingmyMisery described

Stay strong and keep coming back no matter what
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kk1k5x For This Useful Post:
Boxer (07-01-2015), Dee74 (04-19-2015), readerbaby71 (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Administrator

I guess I should stop posting here as I have failed,
dunno what gave you that idea
SR is for people just like you, member

D
The Following User Says Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
Boxer (07-01-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Could it be that you think you have "failed" because something inside you (the AV or the "Beast") wants you to start drinking again? Don't fall for that. And please don't stop posting. If one step back and two steps forward you may get to one step back and three steps forward. Then more steps forward and no steps back. You may stumble, even fall, at first but you will gather strength if you persist. Stick with it and keep posting. Never Surrender!
The Following User Says Thank You to wpainterw For This Useful Post:
chicory (04-19-2015)
Old 04-19-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

I stopped and started quite a few times during my early days here on SR. Keep posting and trying. You'll get there.
The Following User Says Thank You to RevivingOphelia For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (04-19-2015)