Notices

New

Old 04-26-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Day 8

As I begin Week 2 (which sounds much more impressive than Day 8!) I thought it might be useful to do a self-evaluation of where I am . . .

Smoking: Like a chimney, but no way am I going to try to stop smoking at the same time I’m quitting the booze.

Mood: Steady as she goes. Fewer ups and downs. I’d like to have more ups but I guess that will come. My depression seems to have lifted, which makes me wonder if I drank because I was depressed or I was depressed because I drank. At this point, it seems the latter is the more likely, so I have no intention of taking anti-depressants again.

Sleep: I’m probably getting enough, but in blocks no longer than about two hours. Oh, how I’d love one of those eight hour sleep-of-the-dead sessions. You know, one where you dream of frolicking on the beach with Penelope Cruz.

Temptation: Surprisingly little, which is nice but also scares me. I know temptation is lurking, hidden, silent, waiting to pounce. I’m keeping my guard up.

Diet: For several days I couldn’t force myself to eat. I’m eating now, but just to provide fuel, not because I’m hungry. I never get hungry.

Exercise: My legs are still wobbly, probably from both the drinking and the detox, so the only exercise I’ve been getting is jumping to conclusions. I’ll work on this.

I think this is generally positive, and except for the absolute horror of detox, it has been better than I would have ever hoped. And that is because of SR. Friends, I wouldn’t be here without you. I probably wouldn’t even be on this planet without you, that’s how bad it was.

So . . . thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome news congrats starting week 2 Frank your doing really well keep up the good work
Old 04-26-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Congratulations Frank,

The sleep does eventually get better mate. And a added bonus is that the number of cigarettes you smoke also comes down by itself.

Hang in there dude, it gets better.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 04-27-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Day 9

Following up on my "self-evaluation" (posted above) I decided to try a little exercise. And by "little" I mean just that. Went for a walk, less than a mile. My legs are like jello. I can't believe that it wasn't that long ago that I was playing 100+ softball and baseball games a year, and speed was probably my greatest asset. Now, I couldn't race a turtle. Sheesh. But at least I got some nice sunshine and fresh air.

Hope all are well.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hey Frank, good to see you dude. The jello feeling will pass soon mate.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exellent Frank a lil exercise is good great job on day 9
Old 04-27-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Day 9 -- that rocks!

Take the exercise slow, but steady. Try and get a little each day.

My own experience in getting sober was that it was often the nourishment of the body that comforted my spirit. I was in pathetic shape physically when I first quit. Whatever happens inside our brain when we exercise helped tremendously. Eating wasn't easy at first -- no appetite and a long pattern of crummy nutrition in addition to the booze. Try to eat as nutritiously as you can. Keep it simple -- lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Same for being outdoors -- the more sunlight and fresh air, the better. I'm convinced it helps, too.

You're doing great. There will be hard times. Come here when they occur. And be here here for the so-so times and the good times, too. I'm convinced that the support here can make all the difference.

You can do this, Frank. You are doing this. You're about to hit double digit days of sobriety. I think for most of us, there was a time when that milestone felt about as achievable as flapping our arms and flying.

Turns out, it's a lot easier.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Excellent Frank. You're slowly turning into John Locke (when walking).
Old 04-28-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Excellent Frank. You're slowly turning into John Locke (when walking).
Is this a good thing?
Old 04-28-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Day 10

Thank you all for your posts yesterday. And special thanks to Boozer and Wolf - you guys have been here every single day for me. I'm probably a little bit too needy right now, so know that posts here mean a lot to me. Plus, I'm kind of an attention wh*re.

I mentioned a coupla days ago how much I'd let slip all those "little things" - stuff that normal people keep up on, taking care of business. So I set a goal of tackling one "little thing" each day. It's a modest goal. Why only one? Why not just dig in and clear the decks? Because I'm being very careful right not to set myself up for any kind of failure. I am pleased to report that so far it's working. It may take some time - I'll be patient - but I will get my life back in order.

Hope all are well.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Hi, Frank. I read through all of your posts today, and seeing the progress that you've made in 10 short days inspired me to log in and post for the first time in almost a year. I feel right now the way you did on your day 1. Thank you for sharing. You've helped me in such a fundamental way.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrankLapidas View Post
Thank you all for your posts yesterday. And special thanks to Boozer and Wolf - you guys have been here every single day for me. I'm probably a little bit too needy right now, so know that posts here mean a lot to me. Plus, I'm kind of an attention wh*re. I mentioned a coupla days ago how much I'd let slip all those "little things" - stuff that normal people keep up on, taking care of business. So I set a goal of tackling one "little thing" each day. It's a modest goal. Why only one? Why not just dig in and clear the decks? Because I'm being very careful right not to set myself up for any kind of failure. I am pleased to report that so far it's working. It may take some time - I'll be patient - but I will get my life back in order. Hope all are well.
Congrats on day ten mate. Nothing wrong with tackling one little thing per day. Bugger it, maybe one little thing per week or even month.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noexcuse View Post
Hi, Frank. I read through all of your posts today, and seeing the progress that you've made in 10 short days inspired me to log in and post for the first time in almost a year. I feel right now the way you did on your day 1. Thank you for sharing. You've helped me in such a fundamental way.
Hi noexcuse,

Ya know, through my first 10 days I've been entirely selfish and self centered. By design. I figure I need to look after myself, and myself only. (comments?)

So it's a pleasant surprise to see your post and learn that this thread has helped you. That is a side benefit I did not anticipate. I'll be following you on your thread and will help in any way I can. I think it's it's time for me, in some small measure, to give back to SR members what they have given me.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I figure I need to look after myself, and myself only. (comments?)
Well put Frank, you need to fix yourself first before any other.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go reaching double digits Frank
Old 04-28-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

It seems that you are doing so much better since you began here. It is a beautiful thing. I sense a lot of confidence radiating from you. Keep on keeping on.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Just sending you good wishes
You sounds so much better and more positive Frank
Old 04-28-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Welcome !
Old 04-29-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Day 11

Thank you Boozer, Wolf, Betha, Shoot, Boylan, Incontrol, Hawkeye, and everyone for your thanks and posts yesterday.

It just occurred to me that I've successfully done this before. Quit, that is. Not booze. Cocaine.

I think it was either George Carlin or Robin Williams who said something like this: "People ask me if I do cocaine. Yes, I tell them. Sometimes I'm a bit down so I do a little coke, and then I feel like a new man. Only problem is the new man wants more cocaine." I always wanted more cocaine.

It was the Studio 54 Era and the stuff was everywhere. I mean everywhere. I decided this was getting out of hand so I fled to another city, 1000 miles away, just to escape opportunity and temptation. Within two hours (!) after my arrival, in a city where I knew absolutely no one, I was in full Hoover mode, snorting up lines.

Since my escape plan didn't work I returned to my home city where I just kept doing the same. Then one day (I couldn't tell you the day, or even the year). I decided to quit. And I did.

And until this post I hadn't even thought about cocaine for years.

I wonder if it will ever get that way with alcohol, that I don't even think about it?
Old 04-29-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Thank you Boozer, Wolf, Betha, Shoot, Boylan, Incontrol, Hawkeye, and everyone for your thanks and posts yesterday. It just occurred to me that I've successfully done this before. Quit, that is. Not booze. Cocaine. I think it was either George Carlin or Robin Williams who said something like this: "People ask me if I do cocaine. Yes, I tell them. Sometimes I'm a bit down so I do a little coke, and then I feel like a new man. Only problem is the new man wants more cocaine." I always wanted more cocaine. It was the Studio 54 Era and the stuff was everywhere. I mean everywhere. I decided this was getting out of hand so I fled to another city, 1000 miles away, just to escape opportunity and temptation. Within two hours (!) after my arrival, in a city where I knew absolutely no one, I was in full Hoover mode, snorting up lines. Since my escape plan didn't work I returned to my home city where I just kept doing the same. Then one day (I couldn't tell you the day, or even the year). I decided to quit. And I did. And until this post I hadn't even thought about cocaine for years. I wonder if it will ever get that way with alcohol, that I don't even think about it?
Congratulations with day eleven dude. I don't know if it will get that way with the thoughts, but I suspect it will. Hell, I hadn't thought about drugs in years, booze is just another form, or so I keep telling myself. Keep on keeping on mate.