SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   going into a 18 day rehab treatment center (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/364591-going-into-18-day-rehab-treatment-center.html)

zoomi 04-12-2015 07:16 PM

going into a 18 day rehab treatment center

I am on my way next week into a inpatient treatment center for 18 days. I have one question. Has anyone actually enjoyed their stay at rehab? I mean there is so much going on in the outside world that maybe 2-3 weeks in a treatment center takes that stress away and let you for get everything and just learn. OR is it that treatment and rehab can take toll on ones self just being there?

any input from people who have actually attended?

ScottFromWI 04-12-2015 07:34 PM

I have not been myself but I applaud your decision. Hope you can learn a lot and get well.

Dee74 04-12-2015 07:40 PM

I have no experience to share zoomi but I think anything that positively addresses our problem is a good decision.

I'd make the most of it :)

D

StormiNormi 04-12-2015 07:42 PM

I was in a dual-diagnosis centre for 16 weeks once. It saved my life.
I wasn't ready to give up the drink at the time, so I did relaspe.nHowever, it was an excellent experience I would highly recommend if you are motivated.
My one word of advise is to forget the social aspect and work hard on the program.

zoomi 04-12-2015 07:47 PM

thanks for the input guys! I will up date you all once I am out

2muchpain 04-12-2015 08:00 PM

I have been to several treatment centers. One of the nice things is that while there, the only thing you need to deal with is you. You get to just focus on getting healthy, and finding ways to stay healthy once you leave. You will feel much more confident and stronger to deal with any personal issues, and have better coping skills to help you. As much as I hated going, I eventually got to the point that I did not want to leave. The idea of having to go back out to the real world and deal with all the stress was pretty scary.
One thing that you should strongly consider while your there is to have a plan before you leave. Not when you first get there. You'll be kept very busy with meetings, etc., and that will take you a while to get used to. But don't walk out without a plan, including support. They'll help you with this anyway.
The one's that did well when they left were the one's that were serious about getting sober. I heard many sad stories about what happened to some of the people I met, who were just putting in there time, and counting the days before they could leave.
My advice is to just relax and enjoy the experience. There is nothing scary about treatment, but it does take a lot of courage to go. Your doing the right thing. Let me know if you have more questions. Always happy to help. John

Alphabet 04-13-2015 01:56 AM

Good for you for making this choice :)

I just completed 30 days in a rehab facility and not only was it outstandingly helpful, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. It wasn't a lock down unit, we were able to have phones and laptops and all that which was something I was not expecting; not sure if your program will be similar in that regard.

I made the choice to go because I knew I could not stop on my own, and a simple 4-5 day detox (my 10th, I think) was not going to cut it. I needed far more support than that and at the facility I went to, I received it. This may sound bizarre, but I think I'll always look back fondly at my time there.

Keep us posted, and best of luck to you :)

JaneLane 04-13-2015 02:02 AM

Wishing you all the best on your journey. Positive vibes!

BBQBOY 04-13-2015 04:00 AM

Great decision, I also will fondly look back at the days I was in a 28-day rehab. I learned a lot about myself and took away many tools to help me a ever day life. You won't regret it one bit. Best wishes.

sugarbear1 04-13-2015 04:09 AM

It can be a good way to jump start your recovery if you work on what is presented to you.

Soberwolf 04-13-2015 05:26 AM

Wishing you every bit of sucess with this Zoomi

Wastinglife 04-13-2015 08:24 AM

I did 35 days inpatient rehab. It was like summer camp for adults and actually quite enjoyable. Of course, there were serious moments but it was easy to relax and just forget about the outside world for a bit.

Ruby2 04-13-2015 09:11 AM

I did 16 days inpatient. I thought it was great and I did enjoy it. We couldn't have phones or other electronics but I didn't miss them. We had two shared phones for everyone.

I did outpatient before and from that experience I have to say that while camaraderie is nice and important focus on you. Part of focusing on you may be supporting the people around you but friendships from rehab are hard to maintain.

I do not regret going. I have two young kids, they were in my parent's care. I couldn't stop on my own. Treatment got me going.

zoomi 04-13-2015 06:47 PM

thanks for all the support guys!! just one question, for all the people that did end up going did you have to share a room with people? I have to share a room with 3 people and I am not sure how I feel about that? any thoughts? tips? what did you guys do on your free time their?

I am the one to not really talk to anymore I am very quite so just wondering what I will be doing on my free time? I plan on working out a lot to get healthy. Also what is the food like in rehab?

thanks for any input.

2muchpain 04-13-2015 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by zoomi (Post 5316883)
thanks for all the support guys!! just one question, for all the people that did end up going did you have to share a room with people? I have to share a room with 3 people and I am not sure how I feel about that? any thoughts? tips? what did you guys do on your free time their?

I am the one to not really talk to anymore I am very quite so just wondering what I will be doing on my free time? I plan on working out a lot to get healthy. Also what is the food like in rehab?

thanks for any input.

zoomi, I always had to share a room with at least one person. The thing is, you probably won't be in your room much anyway. At least, that was the way it was in my situation. We usually got up around 7:00 AM, got vitals done, had breakfast that had a pretty full day of meetings and different activities. The places I went to had a TV room to hang out in when you had breaks or the meetings were over. One place had different activities you could join if you wanted to, like card games. At another place, you could volunteer to play volleyball or basketball. I really took advantage of that. At another place, we would all pile in a van, and go to AA meetings or the gym. Some people just layed around when they could, but I got into everything I could, to stay busy. Every place is a little different. Bedtime was around 10 or 11 PM.
I would recommend not bringing anything valuable. Best to be careful.
Food: I ate better in the treatment centers than at home. Full breakfast, full lunch, full dinner and snacks in the evening. Expect to gain a few pounds, but that's was ok with me, cause I spend a lot of time in the gym when home. Something you can add on to your "plan" when you leave.
Your 18 days will go real fast. Also, if your a quiet person, don't worry. I was never pressured to talk in groups or anything like that. You're gonna do fine. John

Ruby2 04-13-2015 07:46 PM

A lot of what 2muchpain said was true for me. Up at 7, lights out at 10:00. I had my own room but some people shared. I got lucky when I checked in. We didn't spend much time in our rooms anyway. Pretty full day of meetings and sessions.

I did eat three regular meals a day and put on weight because I didn't eat when drinking.

Bring at least two pairs of shoes with you. I got tired of wearing the same ones every day and it got uncomfortable.

You may want to consider bringing a little spending money if they have vending machine. For soda or snacks. But don't bring much and don't bring any valuables.

Gottalife 04-13-2015 07:53 PM

I did 70 days in a 56 day program. I really enjoyed it, especially the relief from the pressures of the world. The problem was I quickly learned to say what they wanted to hear, and conned my way through most of it. The result of that was that nothing changed so when it was time to leave I became frightened of going back out there. I magaed to convince them to let me stay another 14 days, then I had to leave.

I didnt follow any of their suggestions after leaving, especially the one about going to AA. I stayed sober and miserable for e few weeks, then it was back to the old game.

The moral of the story is that treatment wont do anything for you unless you participate fully and follow all directions including those for when you get out. Treatment gets you sober but will not keep you sober. All the best.

BBQBOY 04-14-2015 05:24 AM

I have to agree with what 2muchpain posted. The food was good and nutritious, we had 2 hours of free time a day. There was a small gym, B-ball, walking path which many used on their free time. I shared a room with another person for the whole time, I think this is usual with rehab places. You will not spend much time in your room, it's just there to lay your bones down after a busy day. I remember not having to much trouble falling asleep, and I'm an insomniac. They do keep you busy the whole time. Best wishes.