SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Panic setting in (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/364485-panic-setting.html)

MPV 04-11-2015 10:21 AM

Panic setting in

Thursday night it started at 5pm. Bottle of wine #1. #2 a few hours later. #3 in the middle of the night. Rambling e-mail mailed to myself "I've got to quit this or it's going to kill me." I believe it. Had a good talk with my SO and he's on board to help keep me sober. Not an AA fan but considering the AVRT or SMART options. Right now, Saturday morning, panic is setting in. Doubt. Not sure what to expect body wise - wondering if my heart will explode or how long the sick feeling is going to stay. Don't know if I'll withdraw in a bad way...never had to deal with withdrawing before. Starting to feel panicked. Thanks for listening.

Bmac 04-11-2015 10:26 AM

Welcome! You will find tons of support and info here!

If you are concerned about withdrawal, seek medical supervision as you go through the process. I did; best choice I've ever made.

In the meantime, you need to come up with a plan on how you are going to go about these next few days without drinking. An intention without a plan of action is merely a wish, and wishes will not keep us sober.

You're in the right place!

ZaBoozer 04-11-2015 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by MPV (Post 5312698)
Thursday night it started at 5pm. Bottle of wine #1. #2 a few hours later. #3 in the middle of the night. Rambling e-mail mailed to myself "I've got to quit this or it's going to kill me." I believe it. Had a good talk with my SO and he's on board to help keep me sober. Not an AA fan but considering the AVRT or SMART options. Right now, Saturday morning, panic is setting in. Doubt. Not sure what to expect body wise - wondering if my heart will explode or how long the sick feeling is going to stay. Don't know if I'll withdraw in a bad way...never had to deal with withdrawing before. Starting to feel panicked. Thanks for listening.

Hey MPV, I have a post running detailing how I felt each morning and evening. It is my journal on how I felt and dealt with it. Maybe have a glance?

JD4010 04-11-2015 10:28 AM

I'm actually going to try AA today. I've got to do something--anything--to stop drinking. I've tried to go at it on my own but I'm failing in craptacular fashion.

Anna 04-11-2015 10:46 AM

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before detoxing from alcohol because it can be dangerous. If you experience any problems, don't hesitate to go to an ER. And, know for sure, that you will be able to get through this.

MPV 04-11-2015 10:52 AM

Thank you for quickly responding. That is a nice thing about SR that wherever you are in the world there is always someone here that can write you. I will try and make a plan today to stay sober. I do know I need more than just "wishin' and hopin'" to keep me from drinking. I am an analytical person so lists and reasons mean a lot to me. Reason #1 is that I don't want drinking to be the thing that kills me. Would hate my SO to see that happen.

I'll check out your journal also ZaBoozer, thank you.

MPV

ZaBoozer 04-11-2015 10:57 AM

Hi MPV

The thread is titled - 2 Days in (48 Hours)

Para 04-11-2015 11:58 AM

Welcome MPV. You are not alone! At the moment, I am half way through day 2 and last night, I was a ball of anxiety. I'm still anxious, but it's not as bad as it was last night. Just hang in there!

Soberwolf 04-11-2015 01:12 PM

Welcome MPV

BBQBOY 04-11-2015 02:21 PM

MPV, the best advise I can give you is to go see your Dr. before going cold turkey. Tell your Dr. what is going on and your Dr. will most likely prescribe some anti-anxiety meds so you can safely detox at HOME. I have detoxed without meds and with meds....let me tell you, it is a lot more comfortable and safe WITH meds. I didn't know how stupid I was when I detoxed without meds....very dangerous. Best wishes.

FLGuy34 04-11-2015 02:43 PM

The worse option is that it doesn't kill you, and that you end up one of those old ladies on the street asking for nickels. Nip it in the bud now. I'm 35 and I've lost my possessions, my home, my pet, my car, and so on. Stop drinking now before it really destroys your life.

Hevyn 04-11-2015 04:01 PM

How are you dong now, MPV? Thinking of you.

MPV 04-11-2015 06:30 PM

Thank you all so much for helping by sharing your stories and perspectives.

I am doing okay right at this moment. I have been able to spend the day with a friend who knows what is going on and who is keeping me "busy." We spent time outside with my dog, ate dinner at a restaurant (I found myself looking away from the drinks menu...I had a ginger ale and that helped my stomach, but I felt sick when I read things like "bottled beers" I guess because I want/don't want it so badly)...

Thanks for the comment about meds. I am on an anti-anxiety medication already, which I suppose is good even though with my drinking, the medicine hardly was working!) Maybe now, it will be able to help me get through the first 1 or 2 days. I'm going to touch base with my doc next week.

I will try to stick around SR a bit tonight, then read, then go to bed, and hopefully will not feel I am "white knuckling" all night long. I can see the value in what many of you say to "keep busy." Sitting or laying around is not good for me... I want to soak up the empty space with booze.

Till later,

MPV