Notices

Can't sleep. So anxious

Old 04-12-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi all, Please can I join the class.
I've been reading through the posts and can so relate to what everyone says. I've been planning this as day 1 for a while and am feeling very anxious. I didn't sleep last night as I found out that one of my sons may well be developing a drinking problem too and my anxiety level went through the roof.
It is definitely time for me to quit and give up the moderation idea I have been trying and failing at for so many years. I can't stand all the guilt and worry any longer.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I survived my second night. I was so tired by 8:30pm...i guess because i hardly slept the night before and being so anxious took a lot of energy out of me. I feel asleep by 9pm and didn't wake up until 6am. I feel rested. I even went for a 20 minute power walk. Still a bit anxious, but the doom feeling is going away. I had a lot of dreams last night too..one being that I was riding my bike trying to get home from somewhere, but it was so hard to pedal and it was taking me forever to get home.

Ruby - the advice I have to give you is to just breathe, accept the past, the guilt and anxiety will fade slowly as long as your are working sincerely on being sober. Do the work to remain sober. You will be doing yourself a big favour if you are sober. And if your son is developing a drinking problem, you being sober and in recovery, can understand him and help him in so many ways! You can be of support. I hope that can motivate you! And the anxiety will go down. I'm starting the morning of day 3, and it's getting better.
Stay connected with SR. Being on here has helped me so much!
Old 04-12-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I hope your anxiety has started to wain. I am not looking forward to the same state but it has to be done to start feeling better I know.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The adrenaline used in feeling anxious tends to 'dump' on a person causing all sorts of side effects including headaches and severe lethargy.
I've been told fresh air and specifically exercise of some sort can be helpful to relieve the body of the stress caused by the 'flight or fight' reaction generated by acute anxiety.

Sleep & rest is good as is being nice to yourself and distracting yourself.
Kind of like recovering from an illness, the expected symptoms should have mostly gone by 3 weeks in (I think I read this somewhere?) after that it's probably best to consult a medical expert.

It's the first time in a long time for me that my medication actually seems to work now I don't drink anymore. Makes sense now!

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 04-12-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

CelticZebra - I was definitely having the flight or fight reaction. It was so bad. Last night, I was too exhausted to even be anxious.
Morning of day 3 for me and still anxious, but it's not as bad as it was.
This morning I did notice a bit of chest pain, now i feel like that's another issue i have to worry about.
At the moment, i'm focusing on my breathing. Which is helping.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Like Celtic said, it's like recovering from an illness and your body is healing but the recovery process can really suck.

That being said, alcohol hasn't helped with the anxiety in the long or short term so it's worth hanging in there for sure!

Be kind to yourself.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The chest pain is also connected to the anxiety, there's an awful lot of stuff attributed to the symptoms anxiety can cause!
Can become a vicious circle of worry, another knightmare merry-go round that seems endless but is only a short amount of time in the bigger picture.
Chill out on it, time will create distance, just keep keeping on, it so gets easier

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself
Old 04-12-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

3/4 through day 3!!
The anxiety has gotten less. The chest pain is no longer there. But as I start to feel better, I worry that my resolve not to drink will get less and less.
Day 4 and 5 are going to be hard for me. But i'll be keeping everyone posted!
Old 04-12-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

The things you are experiencing, I had as well.
Honestly think the anxiety is brought on by brain chemistry changing.
I suppose the 2 nights of no sleep didn't help me either.

Keep going, the reward is well worth those short term thoughts.
It felt so good on about the 4th-5th night when the sheets stayed dry and I felt at ease in my own skin.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I can imagine the anxiety, although I have not yet felt it. I'm on my first day on this forum (I'm trying to quit my binge drinking, never was an everyday drinker), and my last binge was 04/05/15, last single drink being 04/07/15. I have a little anxiety, not for whether or not to drink now, but how I am going to manage my temptation next time I'm in a social drinking situation. If I told my social drinking buddies that I'm not having anything to drink because I think I have a problem, they would likely try to convince me that I don't. I feel for you, and hope your anxiety passes. Be strong.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have been avoiding any social situations where there's a temptation to drink, but I know when the first time comes, it'll be very difficult.
Day 3 has come to an end for me. I'm sober at least. Let's hope the night goes by well.
Good day and good night!
Old 04-13-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Para,

So glad you're feeling a bit better. I'm on day three and the anxiety crept up on me in the night. I must say, for all the panic and somewhat desperate game show watching, I am so grateful to be sober.

Stay strong, you've got this! :-)
Old 04-13-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Morning of Day 4 sober. I'm not working this week - my work is a place I secretly drank. I don't know if I want to go back or that i'm ready. But I need money.
I'm reminding myself I have a lot to be grateful for. And I'm using a support network. Things will get better...
Old 04-13-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Para, you are doing GREAT! Keep your resolve and know that you are doing the right thing.

As to the anxiety, recognize that it will slowly, but steadily, improve.

We are proud of you. Keep posting.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Day 4 coming to an end. Only 2 more hours and then I'm going to bed. I'm sober today. And will go to bed sober.
I did hear my AV quite a few times during the day, but it wasn't so strong. It was kind of weak. But I do know it can get stronger if I let it.
I went to the mall today with my sister and my little niece. When we left, we passed by a liquor store. I literally had to close my eyes until we passed it. I don't know what it was, but it felt wrong just looking at it. It scared me because liquors stores can be such triggers.
I'm just grateful to be sober today., and that I didn't let the AV consume me.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
~sb

look up 4-7-8 Breathing which can help in times of anxiety and panic attacks
Old 04-13-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

You're doing great, para. Keep going. And watch caffeine intake right now.
Welcome ruby21!
Old 04-14-2015, 01:53 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Para

It's great that you're getting out and about. We are staying sober and we've got this!
Old 04-14-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

This is the morning of day 5 sober for me! Just last week, I drank again on my 5th day sober! Today, I know I won't do that nor do I want to. I just hope this feeling remains.
I'm more optimistic today, rather than anxious and having that feeling of doom that I had the last few days.
So the anxiety does surely go down...but i know some days are just better than others, and vigilance is a must. I'll keep working at it.
Thank you for all your support!!
Old 04-14-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Right there with you! Was good and then had several days that I can barely think about and am cringing and crying about my amazing family and how I have let them down. Day 1 too and no advise other than you are not alone and we will beat this thing!!!