Notices

feel like a loser

Old 04-10-2015, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feel like a loser

3 days from a month sober, was feeling good.. new job(exhausting). I am a single parent have brought my boy and girl up myself. They are teenagers. It is so damn hard. After work I was so pent up went to pub(s) had a non alcohol beer
then I was on it. Drunk bored lonely annoyed with myself sad. I didn't even last a month.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad your here Tom....you are not a loser.....you still have those sober days, just start again, tomorrow is a new day. Get some rest & be kind to yourself.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Be kind to yourself, I had many day ones. You will have to avoid the pubs completely for a while. What can you do in the future to not drink when stressed? I always read on here if I am upset or worried and it really helps. All the best.xx
Old 04-10-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Court jester

Start over tomorrow my friend. Spend some time figuring out where your plan when wrong today and change it.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i was feeling so confident , those 3 weeks were tough but great. Thanks for the advice. my life is mega stressful, I don't know any other full time single dads.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I felt like a loser also tom...then I stopped drinking and started feeling better about myself. You can do it tom. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and begin again.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Losers do not continue to look for ways to improve their situation.

I think going to the pub for that non-alcoholic beer seems like a bad idea. You are still too new at this to temp fate. You are still 'doing' the same things. Going to a pub to unwind thinking that drinking non-alcoholic brew is the same. It is not or you wouldn't have decided to alter your plans.

I think staying out of the pubs for a while should be a part of your plan going forward.

It's like trying to maintain a platonic relationship while still seeing your old girlfriend who is constantly coming on to you. And she won't stop at anything to get you back.
Stop seeing her.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

TomTom, you fell into the AV trap that springs when you're over-confident then have a bad day (month). It can be easy while your mood's holding up.

Stress, fatigue and hunger are major triggers, so take care of those like your life depended on it. Is there anything you can do about the natural difficulties of raising teenagers? Friends or relatives, especially female ones, you can run the problems past and get some balance? Even a counsellor to debrief to. It can stop you making mountains out of molehills.

Do you schedule some time to yourself that's not about the kids? Something enjoyable?

Message is, watch out for the high stress times (after work usually) when you're hungry and a bit tired. Talk to the teens and get their help in staying sober.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're not a loser Tom

It's not uncommon to get overconfident or underestimate your addiction.

At least know you know you have things to work on this time around.

so you have any support besides us? do you use the support you have when you need it?

remember HALT?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

what else could you have done instead of the pub?

(I don't need to know, but you need to think about it...you'll have a stronger recovery that way)

D
Old 04-10-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TomTom75 View Post
3 days from a month sober, was feeling good.. new job(exhausting). I am a single parent have brought my boy and girl up myself. They are teenagers. It is so damn hard. After work I was so pent up went to pub(s) had a non alcohol beer
then I was on it. Drunk bored lonely annoyed with myself sad. I didn't even last a month.
I’m social; I loved pubs, especially when I was lonely. I owned a pub for a while.

I substituted AA meetings for the pubs, especially when I got lonely. A lot of AA members were like me; they loved pubs, especially when they were lonely.

In some ways AA meetings for me were like dry pubs. Even though I was abstinent along with the other AA members, we had many of the same living problems that we’d share about at the pubs. Except there was a much higher potential to solve my living problems at an AA meeting, rather than at a pub; that’s the purpose of AA. Also at AA meetings I didn’t have to feel as lonely as I had, because I was living in the solution along with others and not the problem by myself.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You're not a loser. If it was easy to stop drinking and to stay stopped then none of us would be here. Try and not waste time feeling regretful, instead maybe focus your energy on your recovery and make any adjustments (more support, etc) if you need to. Keep moving forward..you can do it!
Old 04-10-2015, 11:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm a loser according to my ex girlfriend. Certainly I have felt that way by times.

We weren't together and I was clinically depressed, I think it says more about her. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=loser

You, on the other hand don't sound very much like a loser based on what you said.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Tom respect to you for all that time invested in sobriety.. I know how demanding it is raising children and with the new job you're probably exhausted.. Can you find different ways to reward yourself.
I kick back with some tv now.. Would always feel guilty about it before but now it's a legitimate indulgence.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Tom can you get any family support with your two children? Could you maybe get an occasional night off where your kids stay with friends then you pay back by having the kids and their friends over? Bringing up kids on your own is tough and even tougher when you are in a new job.

Maybe in your plan you need to have an alternative activity for when you feel pent up?
Old 04-11-2015, 02:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the advice and support. it was 11 pm I should have gone home to bed, instead I drank to get drunk after the first couple. Came home and was sick. I realise my AV was in overload. It's not even about the kids or stress, think I was lonely and wanted to hear some noise. Escape is what I do best. Today I will start again. It's a horrible illness and a horrible learning curve.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iconoclastic View Post
I’m social; I loved pubs, especially when I was lonely. I owned a pub for a while.

I substituted AA meetings for the pubs, especially when I got lonely. A lot of AA members were like me; they loved pubs, especially when they were lonely.

In some ways AA meetings for me were like dry pubs. Even though I was abstinent along with the other AA members, we had many of the same living problems that we’d share about at the pubs. Except there was a much higher potential to solve my living problems at an AA meeting, rather than at a pub; that’s the purpose of AA. Also at AA meetings I didn’t have to feel as lonely as I had, because I was living in the solution along with others and not the problem by myself.
very much this. AA is like the pub but with no booze - i'd forgotten how to really laugh and some meetings gift that to me.

i'm 10 days off a year and i still don't go in pubs. i mean, i CAN, and drink diet coke, but not for a night out.

be well.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi TomTom:

Being a single parent is hard, for a man or a woman. What you do is admirable. I have a partner that helps me with house and kid and it's STILL hard so hats off to you. Have you tried researching groups for single parents? I have heard there are things like that, even as specialized to single dads.

The time you spent sober isn't nothing. It means something! You are not a loser!