SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Withdrawal newbie (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/364336-withdrawal-newbie.html)

Sadturtle 04-09-2015 02:05 PM

Withdrawal newbie

Hi everyone. I have never actually posted anywhere before, but I am having serious depression problems after 2 weeks without pain meds. Is this normal and can anyone estimate how long it can last? I could really use some advice.

Thepatman 04-09-2015 02:24 PM

Welcome to SR!

Have you spoken to your doctor about this?

ScottFromWI 04-09-2015 02:29 PM

Welcome Sadturtle. Sorry to hear you are having a rough time of it. I have never detoxed from pain meds ( only alcohol ) but I would also recommend speaking with the Dr that prescribed them to see if there is anything that can be done. Or you could potentially speak with a DR/counselor if they were not prescribed in the first place - they could give you an idea of what to expect and make sure you are safe.

Sadturtle 04-09-2015 02:32 PM

Thanks for the advice. Yes my doctors know what's going on, and I see a therapist since I've suffered from depression for most of my life, but this is different. I feel like a different person...like it's not my brain anymore.

PurpleKnight 04-09-2015 02:53 PM

Welcome to the Forum!! :wave:

Soberwolf 04-09-2015 02:56 PM

Welcome Sadturtle sorry to hear about the depression have you spoke to a Dr ?

heres some links to help http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html

Dee74 04-09-2015 04:20 PM

Hi and welcome sadturtle :)

I think depression is a part of most peoples withdrawal experience, at least for a while.

At two weeks, I hope you'll see some better days soon :)

D

least 04-09-2015 06:10 PM

Welcome to the family! :hug:

Anna 04-09-2015 06:18 PM

Welcome!

I'm sure it's hard at the moment, but give it a bit more time. If things do not begin to turn around, don't hesitate to go back to your dr.

Pipedreamer 04-09-2015 06:45 PM

Depression is an unfortunate side effect of withdrawal. The best advice is distraction. I find it creeps up on me when I sit still. Staying active here is great distraction. Do you have hobbies that you can dive into?

itstiime 04-09-2015 06:46 PM

Got hooked on pain meds when I cut my fingers off. I feel your pain. That is tuff. It's been thirteen years for me on that. Flush the **** out of your body. I have nothing more because I turned into an alcoholic at that time to! Good luck I'm rootin for you

damascus1986 04-09-2015 07:04 PM

i remeber early on recovery from pain med addiction i read vitamin B12 can help with depression for ladies. so i tried it out figuring we all had the same hormones just different amounts. i used the tablets that dissolve under the tounge. I honestly feel i had a deficiancy. that first month was alot of chocolate and b12. i wont promote altering the way you feel much but it is a vitamin and unlike other vitamins there are no ill side effects like having too much calcium or iron.

MelindaFlowers 04-09-2015 07:04 PM

Alcohol was my problem and I was pretty fragile at two weeks with a pretty decent dose of depression. Deep down though, I was happier than when I was drinking and didn't know if I would ever stop.

Sobriety always gets better with time. Nothing is worse than living in active addiction.

Great job on the two weeks! Sobriety and cleaning up out act is kinda the opposite of instant gratification. It is a slooooow simmering gratification but aren't the most valuable things in life always like that?

damascus1986 04-09-2015 07:19 PM

Vitamin B12 - Addiction: Substance Abuse - MedHelp

ManagingWithdrawals.com » Blog Archive » B-Complex Vitamins during Opiate Withdrawal
heres some pages stay strong it does get better

Sadturtle 04-10-2015 11:45 AM

I thank everyone for the welcomes. I have rarely felt a sense of belonging so I appreciate every comment. Hearing hope helps more than I can say, and I am just trying to keep my head above water right now. Sometimes feels like I'm barely breathing. I have to hope this will get better.
Yes, I normally have a few hobbies, but right now I can't seem to even get my brain in the right place....piano, reading, hiking, playing with our dogs.

damascus1986 04-13-2015 04:05 PM

just do whatever u have to to get your mind off it, and hey san antonio im in houston! fellow opiate addict myself

Sadturtle 04-19-2015 12:55 PM

I need serious advice right now. Was actually on pain meds for Crohn's Disease but they took me off due to "narcotic gut". am seriously wanting to take pain meds for abdominal pain but don't want to undue what i've done the past 3 weeks. This is horrible.

Anna 04-19-2015 01:05 PM

You need to talk to your dr to get his advice.

Sadturtle 04-19-2015 01:29 PM

Thank you