Notices

Weekender , 10th of april 2015 , lets get through together

Old 04-09-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks for the opener Mecx, heard anymore about the Blackpool v Falkirk situation?

Mesa, my ex wife would have loved a snoring refuge

Rest of the World vs Saoutchik in full swing at the moment. Carling have this Billboard dispensing FREE BEER! about 250 metres from my flat

Last edited by saoutchik; 04-26-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Not the FATHER!!!!

Oh! Sorry... Was home early from work and caught the Maury Povich show. For those that don't know of it it's a wild show where women that don't know who the father is or the fathers declare they are not the papa get paternity tests done and scream at each other in high low brow drama.

I never stop on it but I got the hook today. Cute daddy was on... Ok .... Well then maybe that's why I Am not on that show!

Good to see everyone. BigS tough life.

My weekend started... I got my favorite pizza. Last day of binging as I start up my exercising this weekend! So happy to be back. Not fully healed with the knee but I know my limits and have a routine I think will not stress it at all. Sunny and will melt this snow!

K
Old 04-09-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Emailed the girl on facebook who I was supposed to meet for coffee and called it off - I hope to have more random meetings with her, but planning a get-together felt a little too close to cheating for me. She didn't seem thrilled with me. Then again, that issue's off my plate and I can move on with my life. Done and done. Crisis of conscience averted. That's something I struggled with during my alcoholic days. I'd overthink, then overdrink, then finally start shooting out texts at midnight to everyone in my phone book and get myself into a hell of a mess.

Glad to hear the snow will melt, Weasel. Good news is that the bad weather has delayed the start of the Twins/Tigers game so it looks like it will start late and I'll be able to watch the game after work. Not sure why - the Twins have looked awful - but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. And baseball.

Saochick- sorry to see what you're dealing with there. Do your best to forget about it and certainly don't walk by the billboard. You can walk any direction when you leave your flat, just don't go that way. Good luck and my sympathies.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

"Oh! Sorry... Was home early from work and caught the Maury Povich show. For those that don't know of it it's a wild show where women that don't know who the father is or the fathers declare they are not the papa get paternity tests done and scream at each other in high low brow drama. "

Weasel, the above sounds like sitting in court all day only with criminal cases. I once sat through a trial for a fight between two women. Who were fighting over a pair of designer pants that didn't fit either of them. These situations go by the name "baby mama drama". Or, it will be two women fighting over some guy who is involved with one but sleeping with another and he doesn't show up in support of either of them. It's sort of like the modern version of gladiator combat for entertaining the masses.

I'm in the office. Rain respite. BigS, good idea to keep to one side of the fence and not look at the greenery on the other until something shakes out. Far less complicated. See above "baby mama drama."
Old 04-09-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm in. Have a great Thursday night everybody!
Old 04-09-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Morning weekenders,

Sounds like people have Plans......which is good.

Mine? Plenty to do....spend time on projects. Got a small stack of movies to watch in the downtime. And have to get the spare room ready for a, um, 'live in guest' who arrives in the country Monday night from overseas. I have to fly over Monday night to meet her at the airport, have a couple of days in the Big City. A little dining with me watchin her wining......which is going to be my next issue.

Thinking a bit about how to deal with this....

Later....
Old 04-09-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Hey canguy... Hope you are ok. Lots of cryptic comments which is fine. But how are you putting staying sober first. How are you putting you first?
Old 04-09-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Thanks Weasel, don't mean to be cryptic, just not the total confessional kind of personality type I guess...

It's one of those long distance relationships which aren't supposed to last but is running into a couple of years now. She's due to arrive here Monday night. And she likes a drink....coming here is a holiday from everyday life, and drinking has been part of that for both of us.

I had mentioned that I'm not. Response was that she couldn't understand the 'don't drink'.

How to deal with it?.....I'm just going to be casual about it to start with at least. She can drink if she wants.....but maybe steer it towards being a time of restfulness and recuperation for both of us.

But, yeah, it's not the best thing to be happening......I'll be tested.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hang in there canguy. Does your "live in guest" know that you are quitting drinking?

BigS, I understand the cancelling. Good move. The over thinking everything always got me into trouble with the drinking. Now the over thinking is impacting my sleep. Maybe there is a step group for OT, over thinkers anonymous.

Speaking of which, some guy was in court and was supposed to be attending NA as part of his sentencing but his progress reports said that he wasn't really engaged. His attorney said that he was diligently attending meetings every day. The judge asked "what's step one?" And the guy recited the serenity prayer. Judge told the guy he needs to start paying attention in meetings.

Saoutchik, we are the world and we aren't out to get you. Carling may be giving out free samples, that doesn't mean we have to drink it because the cost of that "free" beer isn't freedom for us. I noticed last weekend at my local grocery store that a woman was doing wine samples. I'm a wino but I just walked by. But, interestingly enough, MOST people were walking by. That was a first. Usually when there are samplings its like flies on whatever.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

You know we care about you and will be here to talk with. You hold the absolute control to not drink.

Hope you have fun and enjoy the visit! Although it sounds like a long visit.

Ken
Old 04-09-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Hang in there canguy. Does your "live in guest" know that you are quitting drinking?
Hi Ruby.....thanks Weasel. I'll be keeping in touch here.

Not drinking? I've mentioned it casually. The response was along the lines of "can't understand why anyone would do that"......

Last time she was here I really was in the depths of it.....later she sent me a couple of pictures actually pointing out the physical changes in me. I was shocked....it was a wake up. One of a number of things that brought me back here. So she will understand that at least.

Meeting twice a year you do see changes in the other person....their clothes are different, all kinds of things. It's like meeting a slightly different version of the person you know each time. The culture's are very different too...
Old 04-09-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Canguy, her response may be "can't understand why anyone would do that" but if she was perceptive enough to point out the physical changes she's seen in you, then there is the answer. "shocking physical changes that were a wake up call." She sees you twice a year. You see you every day. You live with the consequences of the drinking every day, she doesn't. I know what it's like. We've got your back.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Ruby,

That's it.

I'm way better now than I was August last year.

A big thing I've got helping me is that I'm the one at home. Daily routine and responsibilities continue. My sober life habits aren't being turned upside down. I'm not living out of a bag in another country.

If I was in Tokyo, any sobriety would be effed up for sure.

Thanks.....with the support I've found here I think I'll be ok. Increasingly I'm learning to detach from the idea of drinking as being a good time.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

You know, I've had increased thoughts of drinking lately and have had times of struggle where I've had to remind myself that I can't drink. I've thought "I want to get drunk". But when I see bottles of alcohol, they don't register. When I see the alcohol I don't think "Hey! I want to try that!" It's weird. Almost like viewing a blank tv screen. I've put some thought into why I want to get drunk but the sight of alcohol doesn't cause these thoughts and it's because it is the idea of escaping mentally for a while that is the appealing bit. Erasure of mental pain. It isn't the feel good intoxication that I miss. It's the escape. I don't know if that makes any sense but I'm still sober. I'm not going to drink.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Understand that one Ruby.

I walked past liquor store last nite, several times over the easter break, and didn't feel any desire that had to be resisted. It was just there and I was going somewhere else.

I'm not sure if this is going to come out in the way I mean it to......sometimes think that you can't make any progress with getting off alcohol until you stop struggling with getting off it. Sometimes I feel the struggling is self defeating.

Maybe this is what Dee means when he talks about 'taking drinking off the table" ?

Okay gotta go.

All the best everybody. Chk in later tonite.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Count me in!!
Old 04-09-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks for reminders - in actual fact I walked past it without problems at all, I was just irritated it wasn't there all the time when I WAS drinking ha! Plus when there is weird stuff going on it's always my borough that it happens in.

Good luck Canguy, sounds like you are being put to the test a bit early but it might end up giving you a big morale boost if you get through it (especially if you both get on well)

On a wider point alcohol in shops etc doesn't seem to bother me but seeing people in films or on TV drinking always sparks my triggers. Is that just me?

Midnight blue, glad your free of chicken pox
Pacquiao v Mayweather soon
Old 04-09-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Same here, Ruby. I miss the escape as well - that's exactly why I'm driving off to the coast this weekend. No girlfriend, just me and my truck. Part of moving down here was so that I could keep feeding that need. I didn't have that option in Chicago for many reasons and couldn't afford to build a lifestyle that I wanted there.

Glad this thread is here to help talk us off the ledges.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Count me in, it's Friday morning here and this will be my first sober weekend that I'm left alone a bit since my relapse 2 weeks ago. And my ex is meant to come collect some stuff this morning which I just don't feel up to dealing with
In better news im going to 2 aa meetings and a yoga class today,

Saoutchick - im exactly the same, bottles/shops don't bother me, seeing people enjoy it on tv etc always triggers me too. Actually that was often the beginning of a binge for me, just having a few after seeing it in a film or tv and then uh oh...
Old 04-09-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I'm in. Will be working all weekend again but will be with you in spirit. Not spirits, spirit!

Meanwhile, the turtle reaches an imaginary paw to Central America and swats bigsombrero.