Notices

Good Morning

Old 04-09-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good Morning

Happy Thursday everyone. (Well here in the US).
Just checking in. Have had some pretty bad cravings and unfortunately had to start over.

I only had a drink, then basically said "wait a minute, I can't do this". Called sponsor and left my parents house.

While it was only one, I have to be honest with myself and those around me. So here I am on day three. No nasty detoxes or feeling miserable for days on end or anything like that. All in all I'm proud of myself regardless what anyone else says. My therapist agrees since this usually winds up being a week long binge.

I feel like the important thing is to get it right and identify what made me drink other than just "going for a record" in my sobriety. (Sure that's my end game, but one day at a time as they say)
Old 04-09-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Realising your mistake and stopping it so soon was the smart thing to do

I hope you never pick up next time ..

keep on learning

m
Old 04-09-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good decision to stop!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventurer

It is great you don't have to suffer through a nasty withdrawl again.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Justin

you can look at this as a win if you like, but I honestly think that does you a disservice.

you know how to stop drinking...you've done it many times...what you haven't got a handle on yet is staying stopped.

I don't know what goes through your mind - I can't say if it's because you don't want to be different, or you resent having to do all this extra recovery work noone else seems to have to do, or you wish that you could just drink a glass and then set it down and forget it, or if you haven't worked out other tools to deal with life and its ups and down yet...

I dunno - those were some of my hurdles. Yours might be different.

But every time you take a drink again, you give a little validation to all those reasons and excuses you have floating around in your head...and it make it a little harder for next time when the opportunity to drink rears it's head again.

and if it does, and you drink again? the fact you only had one drink tonight won't stop you from a week long binge sometime in the future.

That's the way alcoholism works Justin...Trust me.

Focus on staying stopped Justin. Do what ever you need to do, no matter how much you might really hate the idea right now.

It may be the difference between this being the last time you drink....and you still battling with this in your 40s and 50s.

D
Old 04-09-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Justin have you considered rehab ?
Old 04-09-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you were able to stop at 1 Justin, but on the flip side you still drank.

I'd bring up a point that I brought up in your last day 1 post...you have a very cyclical habit of coming here immediately after you drank, but disappearing a few days later. Are you doing the same with your AA work and sponsor? You could have called your sponsor before you took the drink, rather than after right? Were you attending meetings every day leading up to your drink?

As Dee brings up, quitting drinking and staying sober are completely different things. Do you think that you need to change your plan, or are you simply not following it?
Old 04-09-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am glad you were able to stop at just one. However, it's critical to assess why you picked up so you can grow in your recovery.

You said you were having really intense cravings. Were there certain emotions behind those cravings? Why didn't you call your sponsor, talk with someone, or start a thread here prior to picking up and only afterwards? Did you pick up the alcohol? How did it get there? What would you do differently if you encountered the same situation?