Notices

Hello Again

Old 04-08-2015, 09:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello Again

Hello again Sober Recovery,

This is the most sober I have ever posted on here. If you look at my past posts you can see my list of feeble attempts, starting back in 2011. I come today, though, already clean and sober since March 1st. This is the longest I have been sober in 8 years. I have a sordid history of substance abuse starting at age 15, periodic spurts of sobriety and at 22 I began abusing alcohol. That is the one that really grabbed me, and held on. I'm not really here to ask for advice, only to share my thoughts and feelings with those who understand. In my previous attempts I did it because I felt I had too, now I am doing it because I want to.
The clarity that comes with sobriety is painful. I don't mind being honest about my problem, whether it be simply stating I don't drink, or even saying "I'm an alcoholic". It is who I am. I wear my scarlet letter, not with pride, but with the onus of a man who understands his weakness. Sometimes it hurts, makes you feel alienated. My family enjoys partaking in drink on special occasions, Easter festivities were particularly painful. Watching them all laugh and drink their mixed drinks. I laughed too, I even felt jovial, but deep inside I felt alone.
A month in the triggers and mental turmoil are worse than the beginning. I landed this FANTASTIC new job, but the way home passes several of the old bars and strip joints I used to frequent. Its so hard to say never again. But inside I know that's how it has to be. My mind keeps telling me just grab a six pack, you drank liquor by the quart, that wont even phase you. The lies we tell ourselves.
The worst part is not feeling but KNOWING that no one around you gets it. I know you all understand this all too well. How quickly we forget how alcohol made us forget where we set something only a moment ago, or how we woke up feeling like we hadn't slept. The body aches from dehydration, the acid reflux, the wasted money, the feeling of disconnection from our families, the damage our body has taken. No. We remember how good we felt, the grand memories of awesome parties, or nights at the bar-- and we have to let that part of ourselves go. It doesn't matter how much you know it is time, you have to let it go, let that piece of yourself go. Addiction is like a bad relationship, and this phase feels like that part where you just want to call her back for one last romp, but you've been down that road and you know it just ends in tears.
I'm sorry for the long post, but I just needed to get that out there. Thanks.
-Dustin
Old 04-08-2015, 09:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Beautifully said and thank you. Congratulations, I hope this time around things will be much more fullfilling.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your sober time pipedreamer

D
Old 04-08-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats
Old 04-09-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and thank you for the post.

Your reflections are a good remember when for us so hopefully we don’t repeat the misery of the past.
It does get better and better and better, if we work for it and let it.

BE WELL
Old 04-09-2015, 07:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on your sobriety and thanks for sharing. Letting go of the "Old times" is definitely hard but necessary. The best medicine for doing so is finding new "good times" and activities that replace them, and many times in an even better way.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Generally speaking this first week back home and at work has been rough. It's been trigger after trigger between that and the holidays. I have a sense of pride having made it. One day at a time . Every night I lay down to sleep sober is like a little victory
Old 04-10-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ice cream. eat a LOT of ice cream.

congratulations on your sober time. have you thought about AA?
Old 04-10-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post. Congrats to you your description of letting go of a bad relationship rings true. Just one more time! You're so much better off moving on.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been kicking around the idea of going to AA. My job, though, is on a 4 on 2 off rotation. It makes it hard to have a regular routine.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Dustin!

It sounds like you're doing well. The AV is always the loudest when it feel that it's losing the battle. Hang in there, get through this, and it will get easier.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A lot of what you said hit home. I to started at fifteen. I think when you start so young and you feel your doing nothing wrong. Then before you no it you can buy it for yourself then it's everyday at a scary amount of drinks. We all have good in us but the alcohol brings out the worst. We just can't have one drink or have one day. It has to be all or nothing. Great post brother and be strong!