Notices

Anxiety in sobriety

Old 04-08-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Anxiety in sobriety

I am not generally a "thread starter" here, in fact I think it's been well over a year since I started one. I also know there is an anxiety forum here and will probably be spending more time there, but newcomers seems to offer a wealth of all encompassing knowledge.

I am a few months past 2 years sober, and overall things have gone well over that time. I spend a lot of time here, read quite a bit, do daily things to help. The problem that I have that has not gone away is my anxiety. It was REALLY bad towards the end of my drinking, and the first few weeks after I quit, but it really has never gone away. It has definitely improved but It is still a problem. I am starting to realize that it most likely has been here all my life. It manifests itself mostly as health anxiety...sometimes I get very worried that I have some condition or malady which I end up not having, or sometimes as fear when speaking in front of people or driving long distances on my own. Once or twice I cancelled a meeting as I got halfway there and needed to pull over. But for the most part I still function just fine at work and at home, just have this monkey on my back almost every day. I have been checked over for all the physical stuff...BP, heart, ENT/ears, general blood work, etc and all is perfectly normal.

I finally went to see a doctor about it as I was actually feeling off balance and weak-kneed at times when i was very anxious. My GP was not available so I saw another NP and they agreed that most likely I do have some Anxiety and perhaps a bit of Deprssssion and OCD. Their immediate response was to prescribe an SSRI, even with my full disclosure of my alcoholic past. I haven't started yet ( and they know ) but i've also scheduled an appointment with a counseling center tomorrow to get a second opinion and see if there are any possible non-drug therapies that might help.

I guess I'm really just looking to see if anyone else has ever gone that route - therapy vs. drugs for Anxiety/OCD. I am really, really fearful of taking an SSRI as have read countless horror stories of side effects, withdrawals, and so many people saying that they were better off just dealing with the anxiety.

Thanks to all for your help here on SR, it's a fantastic place.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on Zoloft (sertraline) for depression and anxiety for many years and it helps a lot. I had some side effects at first but they soon dissipated.

Now that I'm sober my meds can do their job as they should.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Scott,

I consider you one of the heroes of this forum and I too was a little taken aback to see you start a thread on your own behalf. But we heroes need a little help now and then ourselves, don't we? someone to talk to -- a few different takes on how to move forward.

I have some psychological issues. I can just get scared. Nothing, no one around. no obvious reason for it, but it can be like the sky is just falling and it can just build and build.

I do know that when you go to medical professionals they want to help and they know that their patients expect them to do "something" and often that something will be in the form of some kind of pill therapy.

I am not saying for a minute that that stuff couldn't be just the ticket for you and I am sure that for many it has been but . . . . . .

I too have heard a lot of horror stories about going that route for mental issues. the one pill won't seem to be quite right, and so they will up that dosage, or lower it, and then maybe add some of this stuff and some of this other stuff and so now instead of dealing with the side effects of one thing, you are dealing with the side effects of three things. and then they don't know what else to do but tweak it this way or that and it just turns the patient into a zombie -- and no better off. i am not saying that that would be your experience but I certainly have listened to people on other sites talk about how, in the end they are worse than they were.

I know they wanted to do that with me but i was like, with all I have heard, I am going to double down with my mantras and meditation first and then we will see. the mantras and meditation did it for me.

My therapist who wanted me on meds gave me a book on anxiety and depression and the author of that book was saying that drugs don't teach us to cope. Can you believe it? lol

I am big on mantras and meditation, as I am mentioning all of the time, like a closed loop on here, but I think those things are way under appreciated. I honestly believe that without mantras and meditation i would have taken my life a long time ago because of anxieties and of course, their twin, depression. just like, here we go right off of the charts. like how in the h*ll are you even supposed to put one foot in front of the other?

I am here if you want to talk about it like in PM. Scott. you rock. let's get you all ship shape. I am not saying I am some great answer. i am saying I would do whatever i could to help, mostly because i know how much you help.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Scott..as far as non-medical options what about EMDR? It is a way of desensitizing us to past events or thoughts that cause distress. Therapists have to be trained in it, but it might be worth checking into.

PS:edited to add I have been on Wellbutrin for a decade. I don't notice side effects on it, but without it I can't get motivated for anything.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have anxiety, depression, OCD and suffer from panic attacks. I took Paxil, then Celexa for a total of 5 years. The side effects while getting on them were horrible, but around the 6-8 wk mark, things settled down and I had virtually no anxiety or depression. I did, however, gain 50+lbs in that 5 year period. I did have withdrawal symptoms coming off. You must taper low and slow to minimize the withdrawals. Once off, I was fine and lost the 50+lbs.

You have to do what's best for you. SSRIs are very effective, once you find the right one and dose.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Court jester

I have very bad anxiety and the mother of all cases of OCD. Had OCD since I was 13, never really diagnosed until my late 20's. Did my Masters in psychotherapy probably as a subconscious drive to figure myself out. Who knows.

I'll skip all the unnecessary war stories and details and get right to the point. My 20+ years with these 2 conditions has led me to believe that neither therapy nor meds in and of themselves will provide the REAL help. It is a combination of both. Remember Scott, the brain is an organ, just like any other organ in our bodies. Some of us, whether from birth or from years of "bad programming" have an imbalance that does require medication to bring us back to "normal", at least chemically. It is much the same for those predisposed to high cholesterol that a regimine of statins are necessary.

I am currently taking Effexor, and have an "as needed" perscription for xanax for the anxiety and OCD. I also see a therapist who specializes in panic attacks and OCD every other week. It helps to keep me balanced.

More than happy to share in greater detail if you need specific info. PM me anytime.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SarahB60 View Post
SSRIs are very effective, once you find the right one and dose.
I was on a weak SSRI once (Trazadone) for 6 months years ago. Have to say, I didn't really like it. It was great in the way it took all the bad stuff away -- the sadness, loneliness, depression, etc. However, it also took the good stuff away -- enjoyment, ambition, creativity, etc.

You're never really sad, but never really happy either. You're always just content. I'm glad I went on it, because I needed it at the time, but also glad I went off as well.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
I was on a weak SSRI once (Trazadone) for 6 months years ago. Have to say, I didn't really like it. It was great in the way it took all the bad stuff away -- the sadness, loneliness, depression, etc. However, it also took the good stuff away -- enjoyment, ambition, creativity, etc.

You're never really sad, but never really happy either. You're always just content. I'm glad I went on it, because I needed it at the time, but also glad I went off as well.
I think that's what I'm worried about. I'm not so sure that I am really depressed....i'm not lonely or sad or what I envision depression to be....but i am anxious and worried out of my mind at times. And from what I've read, an SSRI is much more effective against depression than anxiety ( which is why I assume they call them anti-depressants ).

Some fantastic responses from so many already, thank you. I am really looking forward to my appointment with a counselor tomorrow too, and he is from a clinic that does do both ( therapy and/or medication ). So i will hopefully learn some more about it all then too.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by AddictGuy View Post
I can just get scared. Nothing, no one around. no obvious reason for it, but it can be like the sky is just falling and it can just build and build.
That is it EXACTLY. I can be anywhere, and get a weird twinge in my throat or something and then suddenly i have to check my heartbeat, and then the world is falling. I can generally handle it with some breathing and by relaxing but it really freaks me out and I'm much more touchy for some time afterwards too.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have a prescription for Xanax that I have renewed a few times since getting sober, 20 months ago. My use of xanax is only as needed, maybe 2 or 3 times per month.

I haven't found Xanax to be a trigger for my using alcohol again. And, for me anyway, just knowing that it is there if I need it is a great comfort.

I combine my very occasional use of Xanax with regular exercise, and the combination has been pretty effective. The anxiety is still there. But it is manageable.

Good luck. And thank you for all of your kind and helpful posts. They are very much appreciated.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Court jester

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
And from what I've read, an SSRI is much more effective against depression than anxiety ( which is why I assume they call them anti-depressants ).
Here's how they work, just an fyi in layman's terms.

1) Serotonin is one of many brain chemicals. It is often responsible for regulating mood.

2) Brain cells (neurons) are not connected. They don't actually touch each other. Instead, there is a small gap between them. Brain chemicals enter that gap and land on the receiving neuron which changes it's permeability and allows positivly charged ions into the cell which creates an electrical impulse or "firing" of the neuron.

3) SSRI's (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) in short, increase the amount of serotonin in the brain. When serotonin is released into the gap, it lands on "landing sites" of the receiving neuron, causing it to fire. There are also landing sites on the sending neuron. When enough serotonin lands on these sending neuron landing sites, it signals the sending neuron to stop releasing serotonin. It's like an "auto" shut off which basically tells the cell, "OK, the gap is full of serotonin. You can shut off now"

4) What SSRI's do is land on those sending neuron sites and block them. This way, the sending neuron never gets the message to stop releasing serotonin. The end result, more serotonin is released into your system.

SSRI's are not the first type of anti-depressant. But they are the newest and have shown to have much less side effects from older MAOI's or Tricyclic antidepressants.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-08-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

I've been using a number of SSRIs for the past twenty years. They usually stop working at some point, which is why I've needed to switch several times.

I wasn't clinically depressed when I got sober, but I was concerned about discontinuing because I suffered negative consequences when I've done so in the past. I've been using Celexa for the past couple of years and have no noticeable side effects. My mood is stable, I don't "feel like a zombie," and I run the full gamut of emotions. I've had a few panic attacks when I was much younger, but haven't suffered from anxiety of any kind in decades. It's entirely possible that my use of SSRIs has successfully "treated" any residual anxiety that might otherwise have manifested as symptoms, but I have no way of knowing this.

Over time, SSRIs have been found to work well with a range of anxiety disorders, including PTSD, OCD, Generalized Anxiety Disorders, and Panic Disorder. Most people who stop taking them cannot or will not tolerate the initial side effects, which are typically only temporary. Research and clinical experience have proved that the best combination for anxiety and/or depression is therapy and medication. While each alone may offer some relief, they are not effective as both in combination.

The "horror stories" attached to using SSRIs make such an impression because they are the exceptions that stand out for their dramatic effects. Very few, if any, suffer long-term effects from a trial of antidepressants. I held out against taking antidepressants as I was not a proponent of medication, even though I'd known many people who benefited from them. It got to a point where it was no longer worth it for me to suffer as I did...I was experiencing symptoms that were adversely affecting my work and my interpersonal relationships, as well as my health.

Taking medication is a very subjective process that deserves our time and attention. If you can work through this with a skilled professional and not feel pressured to make a decision in either direction, then at least you'll know that you gave yourself a fair chance. I did that very thing and decided against it. As above, it was only when things go (too far) away from me that I made a different choice, and I'm happy that I did. It truly did change everything for me.

@Troy: Trazodone is an older, tricyclic antidepressant that many people don't tolerate well. It is chemically much different from and works in different ways than SSRIs.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I ended up doing counseling for a number of years also due to having anxiety/depression. I was on SSRI's for less than a year for depression (did not want to be on them long-term). The counseling was very helpful in making me talk through my anxieties and poking holes in them.

Make sure you have a good counselor that you're able to work effectively with.

You could talk to your doctor about doing the counseling without SSRI's and then adding the SSRI's if you're still having issues with your anxiety after a certain period of time.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, I have nothing to contribute, but wanted to wish you luck in finding the solution man.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I do have some issues that are crippling for me anxiety wise. One is a lot of noise and large crowds. After a lot of therapy, my group of health professionals found that therapy and medications were important to keep me healthy.

I am always a big believer in therapy first and love cognitive behavior therapy. When it was all said and done, I needed a medication also. Mine is an antidepressant that helps my anxiety also. I tried several different combinations before I found this one and you can pry it out of my cold dead hands.

There are still some social situations that are too much for me and I have to leave, but today I'm ok with that. I'm human and I'm not perfect and that is ok.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

For what it's worth I've never had problems with an SSRI, Scott.

25 years back...I was taking mine for depression - it helped...can't say it did much for my anxiety, but I was still drinking and smoking pot in those days, although at a minimal level (minimal for me) cos I was in a live in relationship.

D
Old 04-08-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Scott, when i got sober i was having major panic attacks felt like i couldnt breathe etc the Dr helped with that but my agoraphobia was eased with group therapy 3 times a week for months

it was way outside my comfort zone and over time it has got a lot better

there are days when i still get anxiety but i try to reassure myself reminding myself that my anxiety is magnifying and making everything seem worse

I think having a good heart to heart with your Dr possibly get a 2nd opinion to help ease your anxiety

There are anti anxiety medications that a Dr can help with

Btw thank you for your awesome advice on the forum

spk soon friend
Old 04-08-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Scott,

Here's my own experience to add to that of others. Twenty-some years ago, during a particularly difficult time in my life, I began counseling with a psychologist (who was excellent). Her concern was that as time went by, the signs of significant depression weren't lessening and I did a consultation with a psychiatrist.

He recommended Prozac, a SSRI. I remember him telling me that if a patient had a sore throat, an antibiotic might be prescribed -- not to make the throat feel fabulous but return it to a more normal state. That made sense to me and I decided to go on Prozac, which helped tremendously. (The heavy drinking, which evolved into alcoholism, came later. That's another story, though I cannot help but wonder what I did to my poor brain, flooding it with a depressant as I did.)

Some time later, I read somewhere that a person with depression described going on an anti-depressant as akin to feeling as though she'd been driving with the emergency brake on all the time and then, finally, driving normally. That was what my experience was like. I'm glad that I did it.

There will be an anecdote (and horror stories, as EndGame notes), for better or worse, for nearly anyone's experience with anti-depressants. The important thing is for you to determine whether it is working and alert your physician immediately if you're experiencing dark side effects. I think counseling is a good idea, too. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

One question: Are you getting exercise? In all honesty, I think that the commitment I've made to regular exercise has helped me mentally and emotionally as much as anything. In fact, I'm off to the gym now.

Take good care and thank you for being a good friend to the SR community.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Very interested in this thread. Anxiety and depression are something I fight daily. I am terrified of pills in any form but I'm also pretty darn sick of feeling the way I do.

I will sit back and listen to the combined knowledge.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Scott, my anxiety sounds to be quite a bit like yours. Some days are okay, some not, and anything outside of my normal routine is likely to cause anxiety. I tried two SSRI's (Paxil was one) and I had side-effects that for me, didn't work. They both caused restless leg syndrome, made me jumpy and seriously affected my sleep. I now take a Tricyclic anti-depressant which works for my depression, but does nothing for anxiety.

I hope you have good luck talking to the counselling center tomorrow.