Blogs

Notices

I don't believe I will never drink again

Old 04-09-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

YLS I couldn't even fathom what not drinking forever was when I first quit. I read all the statistics a about early sobriety and decided that I could swear to be sober for 90 days. It was difficult but I did whatever I had to do to make it to 90. In my late 80's I bumped the number to 180. I'm still pretty early on but with time my confidence that I can do this gets stronger.

Can you swear to yourself 90 days?

for what it's worth, I know you can do this!
Old 04-09-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I live one day at a time. I just won't drink/use today. I have no idea what will happen tomorrow, but if I keep doing the next right thing, most likely I will still be clean and sober. There are two days you can't change, yesterday and tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

It all got very real when I got the point where all the things I valued were being destroyed by drinking alcohol. I could have them back, and have them large, but only if I quit drinking.

That condition applied then, and it applies now, and it will always apply. I can drink, or I can have a job, a marriage, a family, a home, physical and mental health, self respect, personal growth, a sense of meaning and purpose, stuff like that. But I can't do both.

It makes me happy to know that I will never go back to that place of misery and sadness and guilt and shame and depression and anxiety. I have done a thing that some people think is difficult to do, but I decided I would succeed no matter what, easy or difficult, so the degree of difficulty never really mattered.

I didn't quit for a day or an hour, I quit for a moment. I quit for the present moment, the one I am living right now, the one where I can do things and make changes and experience and grow.

I don't know what will happen to me tomorrow but I do know that I won't drink. I decided that drinking isn't something that somehow happens to me, it is something that I do. I decided I won't do it. Ever. No matter what.

If you decide to quit for good, you can.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to freshstart57 For This Useful Post:
anattaboy (04-09-2015), Axiom (04-09-2015), dwtbd (04-09-2015), Greggo1959 (04-10-2015), Nonsensical (04-09-2015), Thanos (04-09-2015), youngladysober2 (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you guys so much for your replies. I guess what silly is that I was able to not drink alcohol for a full year. After that year I thought I could handle it. And I was actually able too but then St.Patrick's day happened whichess ended with me falling asleep at a bar for 5 hours. Ugh. But I was able to go out and have 3 beers and go home with no desire to drink anymore. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know of I'm a alcoholic or because of the stress and depression I'm going though I'm abusing alcohol...
The Following User Says Thank You to youngladysober2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by youngladysober2 View Post
Thank you guys so much for your replies. I guess what silly is that I was able to not drink alcohol for a full year. After that year I thought I could handle it. And I was actually able too but then St.Patrick's day happened whichess ended with me falling asleep at a bar for 5 hours. Ugh. But I was able to go out and have 3 beers and go home with no desire to drink anymore. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know of I'm a alcoholic or because of the stress and depression I'm going though I'm abusing alcohol...
Well, would you be willing to quit drinking for a while and get into some counseling for the stress and depression? That might help to answer your question about whether you are an alcoholic or not. John
Old 04-09-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You get to make the rules. I would suggest removing alcohol from the table forever. Come hell or high water. No matter what. When hell freezes over. When pigs fly (of their own accord). On St. Beelzebub's Day. Seriously though, I don't eat parsnips or radishes and never will--why can't alcohol be the same? IT IS!
The Following User Says Thank You to anattaboy For This Useful Post:
dwtbd (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
quat

Reading your two posts causes me to be "of two minds" regarding your situation. Given the rather limited scope of what I know of your drinking history, on the one hand I don't rate your chances of managing your drinking in a healthy fashion very high. For one if you think abuse of alcohol is caused by stress and depression it is going to be hard moving forward in life and successfully avoid stressful and emotionally challenging times, so the future abuse seems to be unavoidable, if you plan on continuing to try and manage drinking. On the other hand though if you decide that managing drinking to keep it in check proves to be not worth the effort and simply not drinking is a better option, I believe you can make that choice and be successful at it. It's my experience that people who "fall asleep" at bars have a difficult time of keeping the management of alcohol consumption in check, either per session or as a "lifestyle". I passed out in practically every bar in town, so much so I wasn't welcome back in many of them. Didn't stop me from drinking though , I just switched to drinking at home. At least at this point it bothers you, that's a good thing by the way, I was dumb enough to just change tactics. Never got the hang of the management thing and the stress anxiety and emotional distress caused by that fed the cycle for years. Like was said , you get to make the rules, I hope you make good ones.
Wish you well
Old 04-09-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Almost 700 years sober

Can you stop drinking when you want to every single time ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Soberwolf For This Useful Post:
Mountainmanbob (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

The difference between an alcoholic and a normie

For me
liquor had ceased to be a luxury
and instead
liquor had become a necessity.

Mountainman
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountainmanbob For This Useful Post:
2muchpain (04-09-2015), anattaboy (04-10-2015)