Notices

New Guy, Day 2

Old 04-08-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Guy, Day 2

I have been reading this board for a week or so and have decided to make an earnest attempt at dropping the poison.

I am what I would call a high functioning alcaholic. I have a great job and income, am moving up in my company, have many freinds, many hobbies, and a great family. The only problem is that as soon as I am out the office door until I am in bed, i have a buzz on. I tell myself that this is necessary in order to maintain the energy to get all of my home chores and projects done and avoid sitting on the couch. I really enjoy working around the house alone with just a jug of vodka for company. Otherwise things seem mundane or boring. I'm sure that is common.

My kids are entering early high school and I do not want to negatively influence them any more than I already have. My wife doesnt really drink. I am 46 and have been at this a few years and am starting to feel my body getting angry.

I feel lucky compared to many on this board. The site seems to be the difference for many day to day. I applaud the tremendous support offered here and hope to be one of it's success stories.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

applaud you for being honest, sometimes it feels theres no other way
i had to shift my eyes when reading you speak on alcohol and cleaning chores.. that was me
Old 04-08-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Turlock!!
Old 04-08-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.
Part of recovery is the need to work on the changes we need to stay sober and enjoy life as we deserve to.

Most of us basically drank to escape our feelings, genuine or real, and relax and feel good. At a certain point in our drinking we became addicted to alcohol and things went downhill. Stopping drinking and taking action to address the issues we drank for are needed to avoid so many of the pitfalls we read about here.

Many balk and continue the slide into miserable living until we possibly become sick and tired of being sick and tired and do the above.

BE WELL
Old 04-08-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Turlock

I think it's great you want to make a change, not only for yourself but your kids too

I'm glad you've joined us

D
Old 04-08-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi turlock, I also applaud your honesty. It is critical. It struck a chord with me when you said that you can start to feel your body getting angry. Many of us can relate. Fast forward 10 years and it may very well be extremely pissed off.

A dad without his nightly vodka would be great for your kids too. I wish you the very best.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome. Remember today is the first day of the rest of your life. You can decide that you no longer like the existence you are living and change it now. That is the amazing thing about life... every day is a new day. The thing that I really find helpful is to tell myself that I will be clean and sober just for today. That tomorrow I can use again. After all my mind can wrap itself around 1 day. Well guess what tomorrow comes and I tell myself just for today I will not use, tomorrow I can. The beauty in this is that every day will be today and never tomorrow. Eventually you won't have to fight so hard... eventually it will become easier.

If at first the just for today sounds overwhelming then break it down, Just for this hour I will stay sober....and continue this.

Are you to the point in your drinking that you go through severe withdrawals? Alcohol withdrawal is not something to mess with. If you are there I STRONGLY suggest a medical detox. Alcohol withdrawal can kill you.

Keep being honest it truly is important. Also Keep an open mind and be willing to try new things. Clearly the way you have been doing things is not working... time to try something new.

You will feel so much better about everything when you break free of this.... Your kids will feel much better too....
Old 04-08-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome! SR is an excellent resource. You'll find lots of support here. Glad you've joined us!
Old 04-08-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you Turlock!

I was in the same situation when I was your age. I wish I'd done what you're doing. I kept trying to manage it, with disastrous results. When I finally found SR and the courage to quit, I was completely dependent on it. The drinks after work until bedtime eventually spilled over into the next morning. I can't believe I ever drank practically round the clock. We're happy to have you with us - the encouragement and caring here are amazing. You can do it Turlock.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Turlock
Old 04-08-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2, also.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Welcome to the forum, Turlock!

Old 04-08-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome how are you feeling?
Old 04-09-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Welcome Turlock!

Did you wake this morning to day 3? The first week can be up and down. But please come back and update us on how you are doing.

It is possible to put down the drinking and live soberly.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Made it to 3. I guess the AV finally woke up this morning. He began to tell me on the way to work that the weekend was coming & it would be incredibly boring without him. I visualize him as a goofy cartoon character that is not to be taken seriously, as opposed to a demon. Whatever works I guess. You people are awesome. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

BTW, I really feel good physically except for the agitation. I drove my kids to their activities last night night instead of staying home because I had to 'do stuff".
Old 04-09-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes - the agitation is difficult in the beginning. Good that you're distracting yourself for awhile - it will lessen!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

'grats on day 3 Turlock

D