Notices

2 Days in (48 Hours)

Old 05-30-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

I have an acquaintance who ran Comrades marathon last year. Marathon seems like a wimpy word for the magnitude of the race, though.

The "L" thing - it happens to everyone - even people with families in the next room. It's a pretty universal existential angst.

((hug)) If we were closer than half way around the globe I'd call you

My cats rescue me from that a lot. If I spend 30 seconds stroking them and telling them I'm grateful they are living their lives with me, I usually feel much more connected to life.

Early-on in sobriety I heard someone say they, "pet the fur off the cat and feel much better."

TV is good, too!
Old 05-30-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Hi ZaB I am back..

I fear that 'while the cats away the mice will play' springs to mind...what's all this about Mr Z..

'Saoutchick, you are going to have to take the pecker fight up with martina12. It is all her fault. Besides, it gets tounges wagging.'

You are incorrigible!!!
M

Old 05-30-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Ps Oh dear what have I started on innocently saying 'keep your pecker up'? !
Old 05-30-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Hello ZaBoozer,

Just want to send my support. I appreciate this thread and your posts to other people.

Also, gotta admit, love your signature. I hope you are following martina's advice...

(BTW martina, finding it hard to believe that there is any other meaning than the one I am unfortunately thinking of.)
Old 05-30-2015, 04:48 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Administrator

can we move on from pecker talk guys?

It's all in fun I know - but keep in mind we do have a worksafe rule here.

Even more importantly this thread might be the first impression someone gets of SR

D
Old 05-30-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I have an acquaintance who ran Comrades marathon last year. Marathon seems like a wimpy word for the magnitude of the race, though. The "L" thing - it happens to everyone - even people with families in the next room. It's a pretty universal existential angst. ((hug)) If we were closer than half way around the globe I'd call you My cats rescue me from that a lot. If I spend 30 seconds stroking them and telling them I'm grateful they are living their lives with me, I usually feel much more connected to life. Early-on in sobriety I heard someone say they, "pet the fur off the cat and feel much better." TV is good, too!
Ta BB, much appreciated.

Comrades is the ultra.

Yip, I would have gone mad without the cats.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 05-30-2015, 11:23 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by martina12 View Post
Hi ZaB I am back.. I fear that 'while the cats away the mice will play' springs to mind...what's all this about Mr Z.. 'Saoutchick, you are going to have to take the pecker fight up with martina12. It is all her fault. Besides, it gets tounges wagging.' You are incorrigible!!! M __________________
Hahaha, you see what you have started now M. Welcome back.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tokidoki View Post
Hello ZaBoozer, Just want to send my support. I appreciate this thread and your posts to other people. Also, gotta admit, love your signature. I hope you are following martina's advice... (BTW martina, finding it hard to believe that there is any other meaning than the one I am unfortunately thinking of.)
Ta TD, much appreciated.

Let's not get into the gutter now ladies.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:25 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
can we move on from pecker talk guys? It's all in fun I know - but keep in mind we do have a worksafe rule here. Even more importantly this thread might be the first impression someone gets of SR D
No offense intended Dee.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:34 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

I start day fifty five today. Comrades started at 05:30 this morning. I watched the start. The leaders have just passed halfway as I write. That is moving. Business first.

Physically I am good. I slept well. No headache this morning. I am famished this morning. I might just treat myself to breakfast.

Mentally I am good. I have done my planning in my head, today I will see how it turns out.

Emotionally I am ok. No twinges yet.

I have been busy already this morning. I am checking on the race as I get a chance. I have already laid the last five tiles. Now I wait for the cement to dry and then I can start with the edging tiles.

We have quite an international contingent running today. It does not look like a record is on today. We have Bruce Fordyce commenting on and off. It is a treat. He has won the blasted things nine times already as well as other ultras all over the world. Arguably one of the best ultra runners in the eighties.

Cats have been fed, now acting like dogs and following me around. Strange individuals.

Be safe and be strong,

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 05-31-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
can we move on from pecker talk guys?

It's all in fun I know - but keep in mind we do have a worksafe rule here.

Even more importantly this thread might be the first impression someone gets of SR

D
Apologies Dee....
Old 05-31-2015, 03:29 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Administrator

not personally offended...just doing my job

D
Old 05-31-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Good evening all,

It is the end of day fifty five for me. Weekend is over and work tomorrow. Business first.

Physically I am tired. I guess working all day in the sun will do that to a person. I am hoping for a good nights rest. I did have a slight headache around lunchtime but it faded on its own volition. I had a fantastic appetite the whole day. Unfortunately I only ate a big dinner. Although I did nibble through some snacks during the day.

Mentally I am fine. The creative juices were really flowing today. The reality of the tiling leaves the picture that I had in my mind to shame.

Emotionally I am stable. It was a good day for me. I only had a few twinges.

Today in general was a good day here in SA. The female and male winners in this years comrades were both South African. This is the first time since 1992. Quite an achievement. The male runners brother won it a few years back. They both ran away from the competition and made it look easy. Well done to them both.

I managed to get all the edge tiles in, except for three corners. These tiles I will have to shape. The patio is looking stunning. I will shape the tiles tomorrow and set them. That will allow me to finish grouting on Tuesday. It was hard going because I had to keep running upstairs to check on the race.

Well the cats are here, the movie is done and I feel sleep calling.

Be strong and be safe.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 05-31-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

ZAB

Thanks for responding. I decided not to wait until Monady but started day 1 on a Saturday. My thread is called "not day 1" for journaling reasons if you want to follow along. I appreciate the encouragement. DTs not to bad.
DLS
Old 05-31-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daylightsavings View Post
ZAB Thanks for responding. I decided not to wait until Monady but started day 1 on a Saturday. My thread is called "not day 1" for journaling reasons if you want to follow along. I appreciate the encouragement. DTs not to bad. DLS
Good on you DLS. I will definitely follow along.

I sure hope you're not having DT's? Sweats, shivers, shakes? I will check it out as soon as I get to work.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 05-31-2015, 11:09 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Good morning all,

Well I have started day fifty six here. It is Monday morning and I am sitting in my office looking at the sunrise. It is a reasonably clear day today here in JHB SA. Business first as usual.

Physically I am ok. I woke for the usual pee visit. I really should stop drinking any liquids about an hour before I plan on sleeping. Other than that I slept ok. It is easy to fall asleep now and does not take time at all. Still no dreams that I can recall. A blessing in disguise I think. No headache this morning. I am famished. I really need to start eating breakfast at home.

Mentally I am good. I had a fair weekend and the mind is rested. I am not sure what the week holds for me, but I don't think it is going to be that challenging at work. I need to start working on my book again. I have had a long enough break. I think it is better to get the thoughts and emotions down now while they're fresh.

Emotionally I am good. No major twinges or anything this morning. Another day, another brick in the foundation.

All in all the weekend was ok. L is a b@stard, but it is not a killer. The AV really rode me on Saturday. It is a good thing that I could keep myself busy. In all fairness though, keeping busy did not drive the AV away. This time I had to ride it out. First time I have had to do that. It seems to hit me particularly bad on Friday evening and Saturday. For some reason, I get a break on Sunday. The conundrum is that I cannot go away for the weekend yet - I am not strong enough to not drink. I just need to keep on with the renovations and change the look - too many memories that keep flooding back.

I need to give some serious thought now to stopping smoking. This will be my next challenge. I have been smoking for far too long now. I have been smoking for almost twenty eight years of my thirty nine. Far too long. I have had a break here and there of a year or two, but stupidly picked the thing up again. What can I say - addictive personality.

I will shape the last tiles this evening. I am quite confident that it will come out great. The rest of the pattern work did. Maybe I missed my calling? Tileman?

Well, people are staring to come in. I cant believe that it has taken me over an hour to put this post together.

Be safe and be strong.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 06-01-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

ZAB,

I can't believe your AV just now kicked in. Mine did upon awaking today (though I understand day 3 is tough). My flight does not actually leave until morning (for my conference in Miami, which I have never seen that part of the US so I am very excited). I pray and wish and all good thoughts for you to be able to put that reptilian voice where it belongs. Thanks for posting again.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daylightsavings View Post
ZAB, I can't believe your AV just now kicked in. Mine did upon awaking today (though I understand day 3 is tough). My flight does not actually leave until morning (for my conference in Miami, which I have never seen that part of the US so I am very excited). I pray and wish and all good thoughts for you to be able to put that reptilian voice where it belongs. Thanks for posting again.
Hey there DLS, the AV has been there from the beginning. It is only giving me a real kick now. That is why I keep this thread. I can go back and remind myself how shite it was to quit. As you get more time, the memory of the difficulty recedes and the AV gets a little stronger to trick you.

Enjoy the trip. I believe that it is quite nice there. Keep up with your journal. Every little hard thing, even how bad you feel or what recovery you make - keep a note. Just so you can go back if your AV ever attacks you in force.

Ta a lot, much appreciated.

An aside note from your post. DT's are delirium tremmens. These comprise of seizures, hallucinations and stuff. I pray to God you don't have that. Nausea, sweats, shakes etc are just withdrawal symptoms. If you have DT's - get to the ER immediately. You will not be able to function with DT's.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Hi Zab, all caught up. I hope you figure out what is causing the headaches soon. I took a little break from SR for about a week or so, and after reading about the tough week people have been having and how it awakened the AV in some, I am thinking that my higher power was playing intervention again. Not sure why I stayed away. I was having a tough time one evening last week when my husband was out of town and my sister came over. I was fighting the urge to say f it, and let's have some wine for old times sake. But, I talked myself out of it. She was here to use my computer to apply for jobs. She is trying hard to get her feet planted firmly on the ground, and I know she struggles with alcohol too. She knows I quit drinking, so I told myself that she probably felt safe to come here to work on her resume and stuff, so I stayed strong for both of us. We had a really good visit, without getting plastered, so it was good. My step mother was all over us though, calling all evening, saying when the cats away (my hubby) the mice will play. My step mother has no idea I quit drinking, and I don't plan on telling her soon. She is my nemesis and is the one person who always, always brings up the past mistakes. I don't tell her a darn thing about my life anymore, because she is such a two faced gossiper! Augh, sorry for ranting on your thread. Not sure where that came from!

I am feeling really good lately. I am not being fooled by the old AV, and am able to recognize it right away. Just taking it one day at a time, and am getting pretty comfortable with never drinking again.

Take care!
Old 06-01-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cauliflower View Post
Hi Zab, all caught up. I hope you figure out what is causing the headaches soon. I took a little break from SR for about a week or so, and after reading about the tough week people have been having and how it awakened the AV in some, I am thinking that my higher power was playing intervention again. Not sure why I stayed away. I was having a tough time one evening last week when my husband was out of town and my sister came over. I was fighting the urge to say f it, and let's have some wine for old times sake. But, I talked myself out of it. She was here to use my computer to apply for jobs. She is trying hard to get her feet planted firmly on the ground, and I know she struggles with alcohol too. She knows I quit drinking, so I told myself that she probably felt safe to come here to work on her resume and stuff, so I stayed strong for both of us. We had a really good visit, without getting plastered, so it was good. My step mother was all over us though, calling all evening, saying when the cats away (my hubby) the mice will play. My step mother has no idea I quit drinking, and I don't plan on telling her soon. She is my nemesis and is the one person who always, always brings up the past mistakes. I don't tell her a darn thing about my life anymore, because she is such a two faced gossiper! Augh, sorry for ranting on your thread. Not sure where that came from! I am feeling really good lately. I am not being fooled by the old AV, and am able to recognize it right away. Just taking it one day at a time, and am getting pretty comfortable with never drinking again. Take care!
Hey there C,

Me too. At least they are starting to get less frequent now.

No worries for ranting here. You are more than welcome.

Good on you for fighting off the AV and for learning that you can have a good time sober with your sister.

You keep on keeping on - you're doing great.

Cheers,

ZAB