Notices

2 Days in (48 Hours)

Old 05-15-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Good day all,

So I have reached day thirty nine. The engineering breakfast was ok. The tour of the brewery was better. Business first.

Physically I am great. I did have a slight headache this morning, but it seems to have faded. I slept ok, not as much as I would have liked - I ended up reading too late. No problems getting to sleep last night. No anxiety or anything.

Mentally I am fine. There were a lot of technical presentations this morning and I was able to pay attention during all of it. My mind did not drift or switch off as it would usually have done.

Emotionally it has been a good day for me. It has been much more stable in comparison to some of the past few days. It helps when you are consistent and not having to deal with little surprises all the way.

All in all I am great. I am reading a fantastic book at the moment. It is a story and has nothing to do with self help.

Be safe and be strong,

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 05-15-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Good evening all,

It is the end of day thirty nine for me. Just got back from dinner. First, business.

Physically I am tired. The fatigue set in around 14:00. I have not been able to shake it. I think I am going to just out the TV on and go to sleep. The headache is still absent. So that is positive.

Mentally I am also tired tonight. My brain just does not feel like thinking. I don't mean that it can't, it just feels like I want to veg for a while.

Emotionally I am in a good place. Today was a reasonably calm day for me. In some things I a even able to distance myself from the emotion and to deal with it in a dispassionate manner. I am taking this as progress.

Tonight I had dinner with a very old friend whom I have not seen in many years. It was very good to chat and to catch up. He was never really a drinker, so there were no triggers. I only had NA beer and there was no temptation to drink. It felt good to go out and just be. No pressure.

I am currently reading a book that I am enjoying thoroughly. I didn't think that it would involve booze or anything, but there is a helluva twist. I won't give it away. The book - the glass house. Some chick wrote it, I forget her name. It is well worth reading though.

Well the cats are here, it is very chilly outside and my eyes are drooping.

Be safe and be strong.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 05-15-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

is that the Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls? I can't find the Glass House.
Cheers!
Old 05-15-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
is that the Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls? I can't find the Glass House. Cheers!
That is the one Lethe, it is a really good read. Read half of it in one sitting.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:36 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Morning all,

So it is the start of day forty for me. The birds are out and heralding the new day in. Nice to be up and about without a hangover. Business first.

Physically I am good to go. I slept like the dead last night. That is always great. No problems falling asleep either. I woke normally. Unfortunately I did have a slight headache this morning. They are getting less intense. I do need to stop the cigarettes as I suspect that this is part of my problem.

Mentally I am good. I have a few jobs that I need to complete around the house. This should keep the mental juices flowing.

Emotionally I am good this morning. Although it is still early, I still have the peace from last night.

Today I need to finish the last bit of house renovation. The edging to replace the skirting must be done. I need to complete my heat shield behind the fireplace. Then the cleanup starts. Next week I can start on the outside. Things are coming together and starting to look good.

I am enjoying the book, unfortunately I am almost done with it. I am not ready to go back to the self help/motivational stuff just yet. I have spent a small fortune on kindle books since I stopped, but it is well worth it.

Saturday, time to get my butt into gear.

Be safe and be strong,

Cheers

ZAB

P
Old 05-16-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Evening all,

Long day this side. It is the end of day forty. I am very tired. I will fill in the details in the mornings post.

Be safe and be strong.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 05-16-2015, 09:55 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Morning all

Starting day forty one here. Birds are serenading the sun in. Nice morning out with a slight chill to the air. Business first.

Physically I am great this morning. I had the headache from hell the whole of yesterday. It seems to be absent today. I had a really good nights rest last night. I only woke once for a leak. I have noticed that I have some sort of wave running through me if I try to fall asleep on my back. It is not anxiousness, but it drags me back from the edge. I don't have any of this if I try to fall asleep on my side. Still taking my vitamins, but I will not renew the liver detox. I will stick to the B12 and the milkthistle.

Mentally I am good. I finished the glass houses. Great book. It seems though. That a lot of the books I have been reading run out of steam towards the ends. Maybe it is just me being sober.

Emotionally I am good. Today is going to be trying. I heard from my wife. She wants to pop around to pick up her other car. No point in worrying about it, what will be will be.

Hopefully today is the last day of building. The tiler has to complete the skirting on the stairs now. Then grout. Everything else is done. I must say - I am glad that the guys at work convinced me to use tile skirting instead of the old wood skirting. It it really does look great. Once he is done I can paint the inside of the house. Another great thing about the renovations is with the tile color and paint scheme - there is much more light in the house. Quite nice actually.

I have already started looking for a plot of land. My next project will be to build from scratch. I am tired now of buying and putting up with other people's ideas. Now I will build from the beginning and have it look the way I want. I will probably keep this house and rent it out. It seems to work as I haven't had problems with renting my other properties out.

I am having a problem with one of the neighborhood cats. He keeps coming inside and finishing my twos food. Mine are idiots and just watch. I am at my wits end to try persuade the visitor not to come round anymore.

Well, time to jump through the bath and get this show on the road.

Be safe and be strong.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 05-17-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

regarding the book - it's not just you. I have read it a couple times and always had troubles finishing it. It's been sitting on my shelve for a couple months and just got moved to the "Give Away" pile.

Thanks so much for sharing all that you have here. I can't say how much I appreciate you being consistent on writing morning and evening. (actually I can say but will do that in a PM).
Cheers!
Old 05-17-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
regarding the book - it's not just you. I have read it a couple times and always had troubles finishing it. It's been sitting on my shelve for a couple months and just got moved to the "Give Away" pile. Thanks so much for sharing all that you have here. I can't say how much I appreciate you being consistent on writing morning and evening. (actually I can say but will do that in a PM). Cheers!
Hi Lethe, I enjoyed the book. It just ended so suddenly. She spent all the story on growing up and then fizzled out. I expected this great climax, but it was just - Blegh.

My pleasure in the sharing. It keeps me on the straight and narrow.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Evening all,

Day forty one is now ending for me. Another weekend done and dusted. Business first.

Physically I am tired. I am going to sleep well tonight, I can feel it. The headache from hell hit me this afternoon. I think it is all the builders dust as my sinuses are blocked too. I think it will be gone tomorrow. I smoked too much today. I am going to have to do something about this sooner rather than later.

Mentally I am good. I am reading an autobiography of a war reporter. Very interesting as his view points are not always popular. It stimulates the grey matter a bit.

Emotionally I am ok. The day had its highs and lows. Nothing that really got me too knotted up though. This is progress.

The builders did not finish today - surprise. So they will be back next Saturday. At least it is not a lot left to do. I am almost tempted to finish it myself now. But I added more stuff to do. It never ends.

It is getting chilly out this evening. The wind is picking up. I think we may be in for a miserable week. The cats are all snuggled in. I think they know something I don't. At least the fire is going. Can't complain about that.

I have noticed on some of the posts that a lot of us are struggling along at the moment. I am not sure if it might be weather or something. One thing I do realize is this - we forget how shite it was to stop in the first place. We become complacent and then we slip. It is almost easier to keep it up in the early days of sobriety due to our fear of having to go through it again. I would suggest to keep a journal. Something to go back to that will remind ourselves just how bad it was to stop. If the urge ever arises, go back and read what you would be going through in order to quit again.

Be safe and be strong.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 05-17-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZaBoozer View Post
Hi all,

I am a 39 year old male professional. I have been a heavy drinker (I think) for the past 20 years. The first 10 was beer, the last 10 scotch. I drank about 500ml scotch per day on a weeknight, and 1000ml per day of the weekends. A couple of weeks back, my wife of three years decided she wanted a separation so she left telling me to think. Don't get me wrong, I love my wife ver much, but in the booze fueled mind that was mine - I didn't think too much about it.

From there it went downhill very quickly. I would wake up in the morning feeling very anxious, shaky, sweats you name it. I could not wait to get to work to get those first couple of vodkas in by 6:30 am. I heard you could not smell it. Anyway that would calm me down to 10, when the cycle would start again. By 12 it was the same thing. At 3 I would retire to the pub with colleagues, and get some beers in. At 8 I would go home and get the usual scotch in. This has gone on for the last six or seven weeks now.

Anyway, my plan for the long weekend was to detox, well due to some unforeseen emotional discourse with the wife, that plan was put paid to rest.

Tuesday when I went to work, before I could get my drinks in a colleague asked me to join her for a smoke as she does not like to smoke alone. This continued during the day. So there was no choice to get a drink in. By 3 is was a wreck. The shakes and sweating were so bad. I decided to just go home. Once home I lay on the bed and bargained with myself - I would have that first drink at 5. I started reading a book, and 5 came. I bargained to wait till 6 and became absorbed in the book. The anxiousness was starting to ease of a bit, and the shivering and sweating were in spells now. 6 came, bargain again. 7 came, bargain again. I was drinking copious amounts of water during this time. I had a fantastic headache. 8 came, bargain again. I bargained again at 9. The anxiousness was not too bad now.

I decided to surf the net and the first page I found was about the HAMS tapering method. But at this stage did not feel to uncomfortable. I was sweating, shaking and shivering in spells. Short ones. I had taken something for the headache. I went back to my book. I thought, I have got this far lets just cold turkey this thing out. Oh boy.

Around 11 my eyes were drooping from the book, and like I said earlier they were shorts spells and would pass quickly, so I was feeling much better than the morning where I could not get my fix. So bed time. Oh boy. Just as I was dropping off, I had my first convulsion. It lifted me off the bed. But I have had these before after a heavy session so I didn't think to much of it. Then the bugs under the skin would come, but in spells. This went on the whole night. Each time I was dozing off - blam - convulsion and bug spell. Anyway I must of dozed off for about 30 minutes just before the alarm went off.

So how did I feel then this morning. Well I had a light sweat, but at least the shaking was not that obvious. I had a nice hot bath and got dressed for work. I did not have that urgent need for a drink. To my surprise, I walked down the stairs without being a shaking idiot as has been happening to me for a while. My muscle control had returned somewhat.

To my surprise, I was quite calm on he drive to work. I did not curse and shout at every other driver around me. I got to work and went straight to the chemist and bought som B12 vitamin supplement. Took one with coffee and was feeling ok. About 8 the brain mist set in. I bought a pie, and for the first time in years was able to eat the whole pie in one sitting. This is a little meat mans pie people. I got on the net and found this site. Oh boy. I told an old friend of mine about my first evening dry and did I get it in the neck about not going to a professional before detoxing. I understand now after reading through most of these posts.

I had little shivering and sweating spells during the day, nothing major. But no craving to drink. I had a few mild anxiety and panic attacks but I had read about wave surfing so I just rode it through. By 2:30 a slight shaking had come back to my hand, nothing major like before. I have this burning feeling down one side of my face, that has been with me for a while. You know the one - just under the skin. Unlike yesterday, I did not have any of that tingling at the tips of my fingers or hands and things going numb. I got caught in a traffic jam on the way home, but did not lose my cool, again to my surprise.

I got home and made myself something to eat, again I was amazed that I could eat two sandwiches in one go. I have been drinking copious amounts of water during the whole evening. I have a slight sheen of sweat. The shaking has gone - maybe I had to eat? I have not had any shivering spells so far this evening. I have had the headache thing comming and going the whole day, but they fade after a while. As I sit here and type this, I can in all honesty say, I do not crave a drink and I have a full bottle of scotch downstairs in the kitchen. I have the brain mist, and I have that burning feeling down the side of my face. I was even able to do some work today for the first time in weeks. I did two whole days of work just in this afternoon alone.

I know that the road is long and hard. I would not advocate the cold turkey thing. I used to be very fit when I was younger, so maybe that helped.

My plan - one day at a time. I first have to heal myself before I can heal anything with my wife and the people around me that I have damaged through booze.

This is my story so far, now we live it day by day.

Cheers

ZABoozer
You basically couldnt fullfil your initial plan to quit and drank because......

"Due to unforseen emotional discourse with wife"

??????

My friend. We have the same profile. Unless you can start handling lifes very basic problems and the OCASSIONAL bad ones (unless you keep drinking they will always be and appear bad) you will never ever ever ever quit...this is the key to sobriety. I gave you that insight free!!! Get to work.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itstheone View Post
You basically couldnt fullfil your initial plan to quit and drank because...... "Due to unforseen emotional discourse with wife" ?????? My friend. We have the same profile. Unless you can start handling lifes very basic problems and the OCASSIONAL bad ones (unless you keep drinking they will always be and appear bad) you will never ever ever ever quit...this is the key to sobriety. I gave you that insight free!!! Get to work.
Hi there, I am not sure if you read the whole thread, but if you did, you would notice that I am working on it. This is my story, good or bad and it is there to remind me why I can't go back. Whether it is a cliche or not - such is life. You will also notice in the thread what I experience on a day to day basis and what I try and do to deal with it.

Thanks for the advice though and the reminder that we need to deal with the basic problems and that the answer does not lie in the bottom of a bottle.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 05-17-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Monday morning and the start of day forty two. I am at work already and the sun is not even out yet - anything to beat the traffic these days.

Physically I am a little tired. I thought I would sleep well last night, it was not to be. I battled to get to sleep. No position was comfortable. I kept getting these little waves of anxiety that just pull you back from the threshold of sleep. I am not sure what that is. I woke with a headache. It is not so sharp, but enough to make me take something for it. On a positive - I am famished this morning.

Mentally I am good. I am reading voraciously. I am not reading the self help and motivational stuff. I think I am saturated on that. I am rather reading the sort of stuff that I enjoy. If you ever want to know about all those horrible little wars fought all around the world, the people and their stories behind what really happened, check out Al J Venter. This guy has one big pair of cajones (not sure if that is the right word).

Emotionally I am fine. I wanted to think about how to describe yesterday without bias. So I slept on it. My wife did come round yesterday. Unfortunately we did not get to talk as her sister was with her. This makes any sort of personal conversation awkward. It was not as painful as I expected. I think she was more uncomfortable than me. I was calm. Sobriety helps. Of course I thought about my wife and us for the rest of the day and evening, but it was not as crippling as the past few weeks.

My SIL is in AA and wanted to know what plan I am following. I wanted to say - mine. Then I thought how would I explain that I took what works for me and discarded the rest, so I just bit my tongue and said none.

On a positive, they seemed to be impressed with the renovations and changes I have made. There was a trying moment when SIL asked me why did I not do this sooner. I had to bite my tongue again. How could I tell her - your sister did not trust my judgement or your sister would not let me?

Well we are in for a cold week. The weatherman reckons that we are going to be down into the single figure temperatures by the end of the week. Unfortunately I cannot work from home as I need interaction for everything I need to complete this week. But, I will have a cosy house waiting for me every evening - the fire burns 24/7.

Time for a smoke and coffee.

Be safe and be strong.

Cheers,

ZAB
Old 05-17-2015, 10:36 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by ZaBoozer View Post
Morning all,

This guy has one big pair of cajones (not sure if that is the right word).

ZAB
"cojones", with two o's. Cajones are boxes.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
"cojones", with two o's. Cajones are boxes.
Ta Fluffer, as long as it means he has a big pair of b@lls then I am happy.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hi Craig (aka ZAB)! I enjoy reading your story. I look forward to it every day. What is your favorite
Old 05-18-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hi ZAB ! Leave it to me to accidentally send from my iPhone before I was done! Anyway, what is/are some of your favorite self-help/meditation books? I read Alan Carr's How to Quit Drinking (The Easy Way). It was good, common sense info. Then I read Being Sober by the guy from the Betty Ford Center. It was very good also. I've read The Big a book and such. I enjoy your posts, as well as others. I just can't figure out why I can't quit drinking! You make it look so easy! My husband and I both are workaholics and alcoholics. I was an electrical designer for 28 years. Surprisingly, it's just wine for us (used to be beer a long time ago). I'm just so tired of it. I tried AA in 2007 and loved it. It worked for four months. Then I tried again about a year ago. It didn't do anything for me this time. I feel that I live an honest life, with God as my higher power, make amends as needed (and try to keep my mouth shut so I don't have to make the amends). I guess maybe I'm not going "deep" enough. I don't know. I feel like I earn my wine but boy once I start, I can't stop! Anyway, I plan on reading and reading until something clicks or I go for some kind of outpatient treatment. Treatment is all fine but it's got to be me that wants to quit. I have to decide to quit. Words are words from treatment people. My son has been though treatment a couple times for booze. Anyway, I will quit rambling here. Thanks for your posts.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Hi ZAB ! Leave it to me to accidentally send from my iPhone before I was done! Anyway, what is/are some of your favorite self-help/meditation books? I read Alan Carr's How to Quit Drinking (The Easy Way). It was good, common sense info. Then I read Being Sober by the guy from the Betty Ford Center. It was very good also. I've read The Big a book and such. I enjoy your posts, as well as others. I just can't figure out why I can't quit drinking! You make it look so easy! My husband and I both are workaholics and alcoholics. I was an electrical designer for 28 years. Surprisingly, it's just wine for us (used to be beer a long time ago). I'm just so tired of it. I tried AA in 2007 and loved it. It worked for four months. Then I tried again about a year ago. It didn't do anything for me this time. I feel that I live an honest life, with God as my higher power, make amends as needed (and try to keep my mouth shut so I don't have to make the amends). I guess maybe I'm not going "deep" enough. I don't know. I feel like I earn my wine but boy once I start, I can't stop! Anyway, I plan on reading and reading until something clicks or I go for some kind of outpatient treatment. Treatment is all fine but it's got to be me that wants to quit. I have to decide to quit. Words are words from treatment people. My son has been though treatment a couple times for booze. Anyway, I will quit rambling here. Thanks for your posts.
Hi Olivia,

Thanks for the kind words. The following is a list of the self help books I have read. It does not mean that I follow everything in them - I take what I need and discard what doesn't work for me.
  • Stop drinking now
  • A man's way - the twelve steps
  • Monkey on my shoulder
  • Real meditation for real alcoholics
  • Okay, I quit now what
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down

I am going to take it as a compliment that I make it look easy. The physical act of stopping or not drinking is as easy and as second nature as breathing. It is all the other after effects that take some working on. Some of them are physical, some mental and some emotional. These are the difficult things that we need to work on. For me it is simple - I need to address the issues that cause me to drink.

I am not an AA person. Don't get me wrong, if it works for you great. I am too analytical and therein lies my problem. I have to make sense of the things myself. I am not going to dig out everyone in my past that I feel I may have wronged - that will never wash with me. My belief is that we make amends by living the lessons we have learnt from the past. Yes we have made mistakes, the trick is to try not do them again. If I had to go back and make amends to everyone I have wronged - a whole lot of husbands would put bullet holes in me (they weren't husbands at the time).

You have hit the nail right on the head - it has got to be you that wants to stop. Stopping for someone else is not going to be a long term solution. You seem to be sincere in your wish for this. I am no expert, but I knew where the bottle was taking me. I was drinking before work, during work and after work. All this because I could not face the situation with my wife. At one stage - I didn't even care if I lost my job. Eventually, I just couldn't handle being hammered 24/7. There was just too much risk and physically I knew that it was only a matter of time before my body gave out on me.

I have given a list of self help books. I am into running, but these are some motivational books that may help. Even if you're not into running, it is the principle of what they did. These people managed to drag themselves back from the gutter.
  • Out there - A story of ultra recovery
  • Run or die
  • Run
  • Ultra marathon man
  • Finding ultra
  • Running on empty

You are not rambling. It is therapeutic to get things off your chest. Once again, many thanks for the post. I really do appreciate all the posts as it motivates me and encourages me to "keep on keeping on" as the Americans say.

Best of luck to you and your husband. I know you can do it - if you want to do it. Stick close to SR, there are a great bunch of people out there. Maybe, start your own post?

Cheers,

Craig (aka ZAB)
Old 05-18-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hi Za,

I just want to thank you for this thread. Just waking up to day 7 myself and reading your journey has been truly inspiring. Congratulations!

I'm a smoker too and notice I'm not smoking as much since I stopped drinking. I know I need to give it up and I really want to, but one thing at a time for me. How is that going for you?
Old 05-18-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ginamarie323 View Post
Hi Za,

I just want to thank you for this thread. Just waking up to day 7 myself and reading your journey has been truly inspiring. Congratulations!

I'm a smoker too and notice I'm not smoking as much since I stopped drinking. I know I need to give it up and I really want to, but one thing at a time for me. How is that going for you?
Hi Ginamarie,

Thanks for the kind words, they are greatly appreciated.

Congratulations on day seven - it does get better I promise.

I don't smoke as much as when I drank. I was on roughly four packets of twenty a day at my peak (drinking). Since I have stopped I am on about a pack and a half a day. Most of the time I just reach out for a cigarette and just smoke - force of habit. I am lucky in that I can smoke my e-cigarette in my office. Nobody seems to mind. Unfortunately I have too many smoking buddies at work.

I did manage to quit with the e-cigarette while I was on the bottle for about two months. So it can be done.

There are those that say you should not quit during early sobriety. Others advocate it. I think it is up to you. Looking back - I should have quit everything at the same time.

Good luck with the sobriety and quitting the cancer sticks.

Cheers,

ZAB