Notices

5 days

Old 04-08-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 days

I'm new to all this, needing to get sober. I haven't had a beer in five days and it's all I can think about. I have been reading everyone's post for a couple of days and it's been helping me a lot. I guess I just relate to them so I wanted to join. It seems like there is a really good support here and I no I need that
Old 04-08-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, itstiime!
Old 04-08-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome its time
Old 04-08-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 04-08-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some great tips for cravings here itstime

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 04-08-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Going to make five days

Here's my story. I started working for my dad when I was fifteen also had a little girl at that age. I would say smoking weed come shortly after that. Being a roofer there was always beer after work. I can remember how three beers would mess me up. I'm still with the same girl which is my wife going on eleven years and we have to more kids. im not sure how I got to almost a case a day and smoking all day too. In the past I have broken both collar bones- dislocated shoulder- broken ankle- broken leg- torn all legimants and tendions in both ankles- broken heel- broken tail bone- and cut two fingers off. Totalled a car. And I'm in a cast right now. I have been drinking and smoking for twelve years now every damn day and I'm just tired! I feel I have to and want to stop for good or I'm going to loss everything one day. It just feels so far away and I can't believe I got to this point. Please post. I need advice and kind words.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey, I'm not at great at giving advice, but you're on the right path if you have chosen to completely give up alcohol. Think of your wife, and your kids, and who would be there to care for them if something should happen to you. We all have to come to the realization that we're just not good drinkers, and that we do more self-harm than any good. I want to congratulate you on your 5 days, and say that there are only happier days ahead. I go on YouTube sometimes and watch motivational videos, there is one called 'Why Do We Fall,' and so many others. Maybe that might be helpful to you. This is my advice for now, and I'm sure someone on this great website will be glad to say more kind words. Keep it up.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Court jester

Originally Posted by itstiime View Post
It just feels so far away and I can't believe I got to this point.
Far away? Bro, you have done this for 5 days!! It's not far away, it's right in your lap! You have figured out the first part; don't drink no matter what. Keep doing that. Feel like drinking? Put if off for an hour, then another hour. Build your confidence that it is YOU who can do this.

Stick around here and read as much as you can. The second part of this journey is changing how you think and feel about yourself and the world around you. That takes time and daily practice. But for now, keep the cork in the bottle. Everything else will fall into place if you are willing to do a little bit of footwork and can remain open to any and all possibilities for your life.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you itstiime - I'm so glad you're here with us.

When I joined SR it really helped me calm down and find the courage I needed. No one judged - everyone understood. You're never alone - there's always someone here to listen and help.

My drinking started out innocently enough the way yours did. Just a few were relaxing. I never meant to become dependent on it. I also worked my way up to a scary number of drinks each day - and I never felt high or happy in the end - just miserable & disgusted. It's good you're taking action now - some never realize what it's doing to them. You can do it!
Old 04-08-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you so much ignatious bmac and hevyn, your advice is really helping right now. I will check out the you tube that sounds very helpful. Thanks again!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hi itstiime, well if you are a roofer you are no stranger to hard work. And it sounds like you worked pretty hard to get to that case a day of beer. Getting sober is the same thing, its work, its just different kind of work. You can do it man, do it for yourself and your family. You've done it for 12 years, I can almost assure you, it doesn't get better. I wish you the best. Great job on 5 days.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ur doing great!
Old 04-08-2015, 09:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, it sounds like you realize you have a problem and are ready to deal with it.

This forum, or I should say the people in this forum have helped me a lot. When I need inspiration to stay sober I look here. Congratulations on five days- that is a good start.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Itstiime,
You will find endless wisdom and support here. Throw out whatever idea you have of sobriety, because you will learn an entirely new way to live through these caring people. I only have four days right now, and I am staying close to the boards and reading everything. I too, have found a lot on YouTube. My favourite is Bob D. From Vegas on the steps
Keep posting! Congratulations on five days!
Old 04-08-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Itstiime, 5 days sober is so FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You took the big step and got five days. That says a lot, keep at it and soon you'll catch yourself not thinking about it. Progress can be slow and sometimes it feels like you're going backwards but staying sober is good stuff. I'm a beer and bud guy myself. I never thought I'd quit, till I did:-) good luck buddy!
-Ted
Old 04-09-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Man I love this site. All of you are fantastic and a lot of what you say touches my heart. I never use to get on the Internet and just upgraded from a flip phone. I fell so lucky to Meet all of you. Making it through another day. I'll post later. Thank you to my new family!
Old 04-09-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Keep it going boss, you will make it. And you will a better man for it.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

A test today. I finally got my cast off my leg today and went grocery shopping something I really do enjoy because I love to cook. Well anytime I go on a road trip I load up the beers. A day like today as soon as I get out of the docs I would start pounding beers about five before shopping. When done I'll have two more on the way to roosters. I'm so happy to say no beer today and no roosters. The. I would come home and instead off spending time with my family I would go to the garage smoke and drink myself to a black out. Instead I come home and got real joy spending time with my eighteen month old boy. What have I being missing? No more. I will do my best to be the best dad and husband I can be. Alcohol has takin so much time from me and not a second more! I want to think every one that post. Your stories touch so close to home and we all no how much they help us!
Old 04-09-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good for you. I hope your family is supportive. I bet your kids will love having their dad present. I'm at about 7 weeks sober. There is so much more time in a day when I dont waste hours guzzling wine then passing out.