Notices

New

Old 04-08-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

Hello everyone, I have finally hit rock bottom in my late 20's and am going to sort it out.

I developed an anxiety problem 2 years ago which I have just realised that is has been brought on by my alcohol intake. I then self medicated on alcohol to stop the anxiety but its come to point now where I need to stop.

If the anxiety was not around then I could stop quite easily.

I am scared as all my friends are quite heavy drinkers it I don't have enough self control to moderate my drinking.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wecome to SR! we are Glad you found us.. lots of good people here..
Old 04-08-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Hopscotch check out these links they are very useful

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-features.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 04-08-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel slightly limited as I really want to go to a AA meeting asap but due to my anxiety I would have to be drunk.

I run my own business so can escape when it grows on me to much.

Im also scared about the withdrawal symptoms. I went cold turkey last summer for a week and was fine and the anxiety slowly went away.

It came to the weekend and I though, id treat myself but then I had a weekend bender and carried on since.

I had a rule that I would never drink before 5:30 but that has now dropped to 3 which is gone to far.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.

Many alcoholics make plans and quickly break them for many “reasons” , usually we want to drink more than we want to get sober.

To achieve sobriety I and most have to get honest with ourselves about our drinking, forgetting the ah buts.
Then we need to accept the fact we cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row.

Next we take action. We work on ourselves and make changes to be comfortable without alcohol.

Usually when we slack off we drink again.

BE WELL
Old 04-08-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Hopscotch!!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Hopscotch!

The anxiety sucks but the good news is you're right about it being caused by the alcohol. It has taken me months but for the most part it is gone now.

I understand the issue with heavy drinking friends in your late 20's. I am 29 and the truth is a lot of my friendships have fallen away. Acquaintances have become friends and new relationships are being formed. We are fortunate to be dealing with this now and we have the rest of our lives to work on better relationships.

You're allowed anxious during your first AA meeting. I don't know of anyone who wasn't.

Hope you keep posting!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you Axiom,

Will keep posting, not sober yet but will be soon.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hopscotch,

I also self-medicated with alcohol to deal with anxiety/depression. I had anxiety issues since my teenage years, long before I started drinking. Drinking made the anxiety worse, much worse. Stopping drinking didn't end my anxiety issues, but now I am able to deal with the anxiety. There are a couple of books that are really helpful to deal with anxiety without medication. I think, if you stop drinking, you will find that things improve.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi hopscotch, I know it was a real eye opener for me when I found out that my anxiety was caused by alcohol intake. I thought that was crazy. But it is certainly true. I wish you the very best.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopscotch123 View Post
Hello everyone, I have finally hit rock bottom in my late 20's and am going to sort it out. I developed an anxiety problem 2 years ago which I have just realised that is has been brought on by my alcohol intake. I then self medicated on alcohol to stop the anxiety but its come to point now where I need to stop. If the anxiety was not around then I could stop quite easily. I am scared as all my friends are quite heavy drinkers it I don't have enough self control to moderate my drinking.
Hey there Hopskotch,

I have been a heavy drinker all, my adult life. I only joined today and have only thread. I can tell you that as a drinker I was anxious all the time, even when drinking. Today is day 2 for me and I have never felt less anxious.

Good luck
Old 04-08-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Hi hopscotch, I know it was a real eye opener for me when I found out that my anxiety was caused by alcohol intake. I thought that was crazy. But it is certainly true. I wish you the very best.
how are you now with anxiety? I never once had it before 2 years ago.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

And I used to be a pilot. Commercial pilot. Not any more.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi hopscotch

Anxiety. Drinking to alleviate it. More anxiety. More drinking... Yep, that was me - caught in vicious cycle of alcoholism. Since I've given up the booze, my anxiety has dialed down dramatically. And it's something I now manage with a healthy lifestyle and work with my therapist.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

And I used to be a pilot. Commercial pilot. Not any more.
Hey HS,

That was my dream job. I am an engineer. Hang in there chap

ZAB
Old 04-08-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hopscotch

Like Anna I self medicated my anxiety with alcohol. Things got a lot worse....but they got better once I quit drinking.

It's not going to be fun for a little while, but quitting is absolutely the way out of this hole you're in.

If you're really worried about your anxiety, particularly in withdrawal, why not see a Dr?

D
Old 04-08-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

hopscotch,

I had a friend who recently went to her first AA meeting. she was scared, but once she got there she absolutely adored it. you might feel like the sky would fall for you to go sober but it won't. and it can be a real new beginning for you.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

how are you now with anxiety? I never once had it before 2 years ago.
Let me preface my response by saying that the reason I am on this site is because I still drink some on the weekends, and sometimes too much. My goal is to quit completely.

I do not drink at all Sunday thru Friday, and there are no exceptions to that rule. I've done that now for 3 years and I don't suffer alcohol induced anxiety at all. I'm quite a bit older than you but some other health benefits have been normal blood pressure, higher energy, regular exercise is fun and not a chore and no feeling of being panicky.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome! You have found a great place for support and encouragement. Glad you've joined us.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It was in my late 20's that my drinking progressed from social drinking/bars/nightclubs 2-3 nights a week to drinking alone during week every day after work. My hangovers and anxiety from the weekend binges got worse and worse where I didn't feel normal for days after. So I drank to alleviate the anxiety on Mondays, then the next day and the next. Soon I was anxious all the time and the only relief came with more alcohol.

The anxiety was all brought on by the booze. I was never really sure what I was so anxious about. It was just a general feeling of dread that only went away with more booze.

Cut out the booze and you will see an improvement. Alcohol abuse wreaks havoc on the brain/mental health.