Notices

Milestone

Old 04-06-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Milestone

Today is Day 100 for me.

I won't lie. This has not been easy. I've been through Hell, and it's not over, but every day is better.

Nights are times of temptation, but in the morning I always feel strong. That lying ******* Addict Voice whispers in my ear, and it can be persuasive. Every morning I am thankful for my strength.

I have taken a few breaks here and there, but most I have steadily drank--gotten drunk--every night for over three decades. That brings on a monster of a dependency problem.

I'm mostly doing it alone. I've heard some say that is impossible, but I say that anything is possibly if you put your mind to it, and your resolve is strong enough.

I am keeping very busy. Reading, writing, exercise, working, home projects.

I am seeing someone. I know that many advise against that, but what can you do? I met a woman, and I like her. She likes me. I have been totally honest. She does not drink, and has never been a problem drinker.

She wants to move faster, but I am going very slowly. I am still discovering who I am without the omnipresent influence of alcohol in my system. You know what? I like it. A lot. And it is going to get better.

Having someone to take walks with, who will listen to me (as I listen to her); dinners, movies. That kind of contentment can make a world of difference.

There is no way I am turning back now. I am stronger by the day, and I am seeing more clearly. I have the best job I have ever had in my life, and I don't mean to mess it up.

Thanks to everyone, and God bless you all. It's a great day to be alive and sober.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats! Wishing you good luck with the lady. Everyone deserves to be happy. Don't let the odds turn away from and shot and something wonderful.

Rock on
Old 04-06-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

God, I don't ever want to go back. I relapse and I lose the girl, probably lose the job, the whole domino effect.

I'm not an AA guy, but that saying of One Day at a Time is a good one. I can't think about staying sober forever, all summer, anything. Anything but *today*. And I guarantee that I am not going to drink TODAY.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Living in hope you are awesome
Old 04-06-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 100 days.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 100 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 04-06-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

congrats on 100 days
Old 04-06-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job. I've found having close relationships with non drinkers has helped me. I think dating such a person won't be a problem!
Old 04-06-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, all!!!

It helps a bit that she has had extensive back surgeries, and became dependent upon pain killers for a time. She even bought some on the street for a while. Now she is clean and shudders to think about how bad it almost got. She has some insight into addiction and recovery.

It can happen to anyone. Drinking, drugs, you name it. But then everyone here knows that.

100 days and counting.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats on 100 days AND the new sober relationship! Way to go!