Notices

Things to do to distract yourself from drinking?

Old 04-06-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Things to do to distract yourself from drinking?

19 days sober and I'm definitely still struggling and feeling fragile... so I'm trying to fill my time with as many things as possible, basically doing everything I can not to turn back to drinking. My list includes:

- Working out. Playing as much tennis as I can financially afford, and then running on days when I'm not playing. Unfortunately I'm not very athletic, but I enjoy tennis, so it gets my mind off of other "bad" things...

- Reading sober memoirs. "Sober is the new black" and "Drinking: A love affair" have been my favorites so far. (Anyone have any other favorite books they'd recommend?)

- Cooking and baking. Unfortunately I've been eating everything in sight and am definitely gaining weight (notwithstanding the tennis and running) but it does keep my mind occupied and my husband has been happy with all the food!

Unfortunately other "time fillers" - my work, hanging out with friends - are tricky because I'm very unhappy at work (and used to drink at work) and most of my friends are heavy drinkers. My husband has been incredibly supportive of my non-drinking but because he travels significantly for work, I only see him on weekends - and being alone on weekday nights are my "trouble time" when it comes to drinking.

If anyone else has things to add to the list please let me know - I am desperate to get my mind of drinking!!
Old 04-06-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was early in recovery I used to walk my dogs when I had cravings to drink. If you don't have a dog, you could just walk anyway. Walking always got rid of the cravings for me.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

+ 3rd Step Prayer
+ God direct my thinking...God direct my thinking...God direct my thinking
+ Go to an AA meeting and call someone, especially your sponsor
+ Read and Post on Sober Recovery Website
+ Meditation, started by the 3rd Step Prayer, and use 'God direct my thinking' if your thoughts get squirrely

There is a saying in AA - Keep Coming Back Until The Miracle Happens - It will ALWAYS happen thru working the 12 Steps. The Miracle is that the Obsession / Craving / Drinking cycle completely disappears...then Your Thoughts and Actions are no longer under the control of the Obsession / Craving / Drinking cycle.

RDBplus3...Happy, Joyous, and FREE...and I KNOW U CAN BE 2
Old 04-06-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really enjoyed "Dry: a Memoir" by Augusten Borroughs.

Today I'm baking whole wheat pizza rolls for future lunches.

Going to a free church concert this evening.

Went for a drive, walked the dog.

Going to AA for the first time tomorrow.

Called friends and family, tried to plan some "dates" with my kids.

Read up on how to be a "big sister" (for when I'm more stable in sobriety).

Earlier I've done volunteer work, taken language classes, cooking classes and at one point even flying lessons. Anywhere you can go to find new friends.

I knit and crochet (ravelry.com is a greatest place to go if you do either of those).

There's gardening. I also try to declutter a shelf or a drawer a day.

Meditation, journalling. I used to get up early to write down 3 goals for the day when I had a job I hated. Small stuff, like making my depressed colleague smile or seeing if I could get more than 10 comments if I wore something outrageous. Hating work made me decide to at least brighten the place up, eventually giving me the energy to look for a new job.

And 19 days..!? I've never made it that long, so you're an inspiration!
Old 04-06-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think walking & exercise helps, interacting on SR regularly reinforcing your sobriety

Thinking of new books to read heres a link http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rituality.html

Going to see trusted friends & close family

Journal (exellent tool for reflection)

19 days is good keep up the exellent work
Old 04-06-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
totfit

I find that if I concentrate all my energy and focused thoughts on not doing something, then eventually that thing becomes and obsession and eventually, I "must" do it.

Take some time away and focus on just the simple joy of living. Don't fight, just flow. Focus on doing other things because you enjoy doing them or gain benefit from doing them, not that you are doing things to avoid "x".
Old 04-06-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keeping my hands and head busy were and remain great helpers. Doing dishes by hand, folding laundry, crossword puzzles and jigsaw puzzles. Small things that were quiet activities. Slow rhythmic motions.

I was never a jigsaw puzzle person before but I've found them helpful.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Walking with the dogs in nature.
Watching series shows....like renting breaking bad or house of cards or sons of Anarchy.
Reading
Walking around the mall.
Making the house real clean and tidy.
Going through closets and getting rid of things I don't use.
In the beginning, I had to keep busy...in between naps!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I drove the entire north shore of Massachusetts Saturday night. Gloucester to Boston, just because it was there. Got home at 4 AM. Better than drinking all night.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gum
Old 04-07-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi.

I learned that focusing on not drinking thoughts helped immensely and got my thinking away from my natural thinking process of drinking.

Also meetings, meetings, meetings even when I didn’t want to go!

BE WELL
Old 04-07-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

My brain needed a new regimen along with body and soul. I found if I attempt to address all three pillars of "me" it helps. Of course as an alcoholic I tend to go overboard on various ones at different times. For example, when actively reading material of a spiritual nature I ponder if perhaps I should become a monk! If exercising I think about adding MT. Everest to my list ---- ha!

So, I have to learn to temper and balance. That was part of the problem to begin with - all or nothing, in or out !

I do some free coursework on Coursera which eats up idle time and helps with the brain part of my life......maybe check it out. A million courses on huge variety of topics!
https://www.coursera.org/

Glad you're here with us - Welcome!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
I do some free coursework on Coursera which eats up idle time and helps with the brain part of my life......maybe check it out. A million courses on huge variety of topics!
https://www.coursera.org/
Decided to check this out, and the first course I spottet was "The Addicted Brain"..! Serendipity..? I think so. Thank you, Flynbuy.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I used to drink vodka and cranberry juice. Now I just have cranberry juice. It seems to help me to have a non-alcoholic drink in my hands. I quit smoking the same way... instead of holding a cigarette I hand a pen in my hand. It took me several months before I did not need the "prop" anymore.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please check out our Stickys at the top of this forum. The information you are looking for is there.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

19 Days is fantastic!! Keep it going!!