Notices

I almost drank on Sat

Old 04-06-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I almost drank on Sat

I was still angry at my hubby for complaining that he "can't have a glass of wine" with me. So Sat we went to dinner and my AV just started yelling for an amaretto sour... My rational self knew it's wrong but for some reason the good old "I'll show him" kept winning... My husband said "no, no way, you will blame me later"...

I didn't but now that it is over I can see that I was about to order one. Now I feel so stupid. I was feeling in total control, with a littlebit over a year, and now this? WHat the...

I don't know how to feel now. How can I even consider letting my AV win or even listen to it. So interesting how it just used any tool to try to get me to drink. I feel weak and stupid. I know there is no such thing as "drinking at him". What happened to everything I learned? If he would have said ok I would have probably ordered one...

Not feeling so good right now... Had to put it out there...
Old 04-06-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You should consider it a victory. You didn't give in and you didn't drink even though you were close. Also you've identified another strategy AV uses on you that you need to keep an eye on, but the key thing is you're still sober!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You won. That's all that matters.

The voice is going to be there - who knows for how long? Just keep shutting it down, you know what to do.

Your husband's problem is your husband's problem. When I start thinking I need to do something to appease or make someone else comfortable and it goes against everything I believe, I know that's my problem. Staying in my own hula hoop is a big part of my recovery.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sounds to me like you did a good job of not drinking. Cravings happen, even later in sobriety - see it for what it and know that you'll be strong next time it happens too.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You did well. Be nice to yourself. That's a lot of pressure, 2 strong voices going at you
Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree, you did good!! Well done resisting
Old 04-06-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done exellent not drinking Nows
Old 04-06-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through that.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You did really well not drinking. Give yourself credit for getting through that.

Maybe now's the time to have a chat with your husband if you haven't already. He can't have it both ways. Complaining that you can't have a glass of wine with him (and we all know where one leads, right?) and then saying "no way you'll blame me later" when you think about having an amaretto. Push me/pull you support. Either he's behind your efforts or not. I hope you can convey to him that he needs to keep his lamentations to himself of having a romantic glass of wine together. Ain't happening!
Old 04-06-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't be hard on yourself, it's really impressive that you've (a) been in recovery for so long and (b) didn't actually drink on Saturday night when your AV said do!!
Old 04-06-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Good job.

I have to stay sober for me. Alcohol is poison for me. I look at it like a peanut allergy. Most of the world can eat the yummy things with nuts in them but unfortunately when I eat them I die.

If I jump off a 1000 foot cliff I die so I don't even consider it but somehow alcohol tries to convince me I won't go splat on the ground
Old 04-06-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everybody for giving me perspective. I was counting it as A defeat since I was having those thoughts I was just disappointed at myself after all this work I have been doing to let myself get to that place but you guys have been given me perspective and Now I will see it as a victory since I didn't let my AV win after all however that was close...

And I will keep having the conversation with my husband...
Old 04-06-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Compare that feeling against the feeling if you had of drank, and I guarantee this is a better place to be, than waking up having had drank!!
Old 04-06-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post

I don't know how to feel now. How can I even consider letting my AV win or even listen to it. So interesting how it just used any tool to try to get me to drink. I feel weak and stupid. I know there is no such thing as "drinking at him". What happened to everything I learned? If he would have said ok I would have probably ordered one...

Not feeling so good right now... Had to put it out there...

Hi.

How about ALCOHOL= powerful, cunning, baffling and insidious?

It’s proven every day.

BE WELL
Old 04-06-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think that's great! I think your concerns definitely show that you might want to revisit strategies you worked with earlier in your sobriety, but it WAS a victory. Three weeks in and I don't know if I am strong enough yet to deal with that kind of pressure (from my AV and a husband, no less), but you WERE! Great job!