SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Making Peace with never having the EUPHORIA/PLEASURE of drinking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/364019-making-peace-never-having-euphoria-pleasure-drinking.html)

bluhend 04-05-2015 05:35 PM

Making Peace with never having the EUPHORIA/PLEASURE of drinking

I'm very grateful to be here and to be able to share my struggle (there's probably a more positive word than struggle but can't think of it lol) and thank you very much to everyone who contributes to my posts, I am taking it all in, thanks! It is really helpful to learn from people who are further down the road than I am, how they think about things and look at things etc...

One thing I am realizing is that one of the major issues for me is what looks like to me the NECESSARY LETTING GO of having the pleasure and euphoria of drinking. Let's be honest, I doubt anyone out there who is now sober ever really feels that high intensity kind of pleasure/euphoria that alcohol gives. I'm sure there is A LOT of happiness and peace and joy etc... out there for the longer term sober people, no doubt. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this but it seems like we have to kind of let go of having that pleasure/euphoria ever again and settle for a a much more mellow yet REAL kind of happiness. And if that's true what I REALLY want to know is how people reconciled letting go of that pleasure, for life? How do you look at that?

Thanks so much

Dee74 04-05-2015 05:40 PM

You're right it's not the same....but I can promise you that once you feel real pleasure, real joy and real contentment it will hit you like a slap just how empty hollow and futile chemically assisted euphoria is.

You'll have to take my word for it for now but honestly bluhend - noone would stay in recovery if they felt they lost out on the deal :)

Give recovery a chance :)

D

Chewy88 04-05-2015 05:40 PM

Easy

Euphoria vs pain, suffering, anxiety, depression, anguish, shame, money, health, quality of life etc etc etc

Ninjaturtle 04-05-2015 05:42 PM

Well for me I got to the point where I only enjoyed about a few hours of a overall horrible 2 or 3 days. Life itself can be euphoric at times. I just need to find healthier ways to relax and shut down my brain

Soberwolf 04-05-2015 05:46 PM

Exactly what D & Chewy said

sva777 04-05-2015 05:49 PM

Euphoria for a hour or two at most and then feeling awful for days. I still wonder why it took me so long to quit.

Della1968 04-05-2015 05:50 PM

Honestly it is easy for me because I had no euphoria at the end. I was drinking to survive and that's all. I am now finding true happiness in things and I only have 90 days.

FLCamper 04-05-2015 05:50 PM

That fun, nice buzz from alcohol has been long gone for me. I'd run home and drink but the enjoyment disappeared a while back.
I'm with Chewy: alcohol has many negatives associated with it for me.

Eddiebuckle 04-05-2015 05:54 PM

Blu,

Perhaps you never experienced this, but eventually the alcoholic progresses to the point where that window of pleasure/euphoria gets incredibly small. You are on this site presumably because your experience with alcohol on the whole has become a negative one. Because this is a progressive disease, you are not giving up the euphoria you experienced when you first started drinking, you are giving up the ever worsening consequences had you continued to drink. Be careful how you perceive your sobriety - this kind of thinking is a very slippery slope imo:

... it seems like we have to kind of let go of having that pleasure/euphoria ever again and settle...

In my experience, sobriety is a gift not a sacrifice.

dcrr 04-05-2015 05:55 PM

There really was no euphoria/pleasure from drinking in the latter years of drinking for me. The only things I can associate with it now are negative. And to be honest, I hope it stays that way.

Latte 04-05-2015 06:02 PM

I started running! I read an article about how the endorphins from running were a lot like the pings you got in the pleasure center of your brain from opioids. Since that is my DOC, I definitely paid attention. I haven't run in quite some time but I do work really hard physically and that really does help with my mood. I cannot encourage people more-start some kind of exercise program-even if it's just walking 3x a week. You will benefit.

Lenina 04-05-2015 06:03 PM

honestly, look at it like this: the pleasure/euphoria is long gone. It is fleeting now at best and will never come back. This is the nature of alcoholism. What we are left with is the memory of what it might have been in the beginning. It is now only pain, suffering, anxiety, depression and regret.

So, let go of the illusions. It was so hard for me to finally get to this point! I'm glad you have!

Love from Lenina

Weatherman77 04-05-2015 06:05 PM

Like Allen Carr said, drinking may feel wonderful for a brief while but you wouldn't wear shoes that were two sizes too small all day for the quick relief you get in the evening taking them off.

Solarion 04-05-2015 06:07 PM

It's a sick and fake pleasure which keeps some people in a trance of self-destruction.

happyandfree 04-05-2015 06:12 PM

It was hard for me in the beginning also...to think I'd never have that euphoria again. But ditto to all of the above regarding the horrible, negative consequences that went with it. If sobriety wasn't WAY better, I would be drinking.

Hevyn 04-05-2015 06:12 PM

Great responses. :)

Bluhend, I felt like you for a long time. I couldn't imagine life without the fun & excitement it once was. So I held on to the idea that I could manage it if I just used enough willpower. I almost lost my life proving I had no control. As Lenina said, we are clinging to the memory of our early drinking days. I was completely dependent on it in the end - and like Della, I drank to survive. I'm glad you're working on getting free.

neferkamichael 04-05-2015 06:14 PM

Let's be honest, I doubt anyone out there who is now sober ever really feels that high intensity kind of pleasure/euphoria that alcohol gives. I'm sure there is A LOT of happiness and peace and joy etc... out there for the longer term sober people, no doubt. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this but it seems like we have to kind of let go of having that pleasure/euphoria ever again and settle for a a much more mellow yet REAL kind of happiness.
Being sober will produce pleasure/euphoria for short periods of time just like alcohol did. Expecting total blissful peace 24/7 ain't gonna happen, that's what I'm learning to let go of. Rootin for ya. :egypt:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Fg_dikRLAJJx3g

least 04-05-2015 06:37 PM

I would much rather have the peace and contentment of living sober than the "euphoric" fleeting feeling alcohol gives. I like what Neferkamichael said. Total constant bliss isn't the goal anyway, it's being at ease with yourself and the rest of the world. I'll take sober any day. :)

bluhend 04-05-2015 06:49 PM

cutting and pasting this one into a reminder, thank you!!

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5302641)
You're right it's not the same....but I can promise you that once you feel real pleasure, real joy and real contentment it will hit you like a slap just how empty hollow and futile chemically assisted euphoria is.

You'll have to take my word for it for now but honestly bluhend - noone would stay in recovery if they felt they lost out on the deal :)

Give recovery a chance :)

D

Arbor 04-05-2015 06:53 PM

Everyone's right on. Towards the end there is no euphoria. There is no enjoyment. That comes from years of abuse. The problem is we continue to think that we enjoy it despite all the consequences. Hence, addiction.