Notices

Hello, I'm Alex! :)

Old 04-04-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm Alex! :)

My name is Alexis. I'm a dentist with an opiate issue that extends about 4 years. Prior I had alcohol addiction but quit with the help of AA just to find a substitute 8 mo later! I stayed clean through the first trimester of my previous pregnancy and resumed a light habit thereafter despite going through an outpatient program and professionals after care. After a family death (my baby at a month old), I started using full steam again. They said the disease was genetic and we shouldnt have another child. Anyway, I had 2 embryos put in me (not mine) and now I am pregnant. Im thrilled and don't want to mess this up, but I could use some support and I can't get it from my family or friends bc I've been hiding my addiction! Just some background info. Thanks. My sobriety date is 3/18/2015. Thanks! It took me a long time to admit I am an addict because I make a very good salary and so my only issues have been social!
Old 04-04-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And can somebody tell me when the restless legs, depression, lack of motivation and insomnia will end? It's taking a toll and still here after nearly 3 weeks!
Old 04-04-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm sorry but I don't know about opiate addiction. Sending you positive vibes, maybe see a dr. You might have more going on aside from withdrawal?
Old 04-04-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm am sorry to hear about your baby Alexis. I have an alcohol addiction, as a former Marine, I was just telling my wife how alcohol put fear in me in just about everything that I would do. I mean everything! I often think is admitting that I am an addict really that bad if I am going to do something good for myself. Like getting and staying sober. One thing I would like you to know Alexis is that, you matter. You really do. I'll be praying for you. And I hope you can find peace in your life that you so much deserve. Stay clean for you and your baby.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Alexis! You will find lots of support here! I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your baby. My prayers are with you.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you, guys. I think I'm also kind if into secrecy. It gives me a euphoric feeling! Is that messed up?!
Old 04-04-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

Welcome, Alexis!
Old 04-04-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family from a fellow Buckeye!
Old 04-04-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Alexis nice to meet you it will get better as time goes on
Old 04-04-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you with us Alexis.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Alexis!
Old 04-04-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 04-04-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome and sorry to hear about your child.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't really see any other reason that you would need to get sober than having a baby. I really hope you can do it and wish you the best.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Alexis. I am very sorry for your loss and know you will get support here.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome.
I’m also sorry for your loss and hope the very best for you.

“Prior I had alcohol addiction but quit with the help of AA.”
I’ve been sober a lot of years but am still addicted to alcohol, it’s not something that’s just put in the past and I think I’m cured, too many dead from that reasoning.

I suggest that what worked for you to stop drinking perhaps be repeated now on a daily basis.
It works if we WORK it.

BE WELL
Old 04-05-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. No, I agree. I know I will never be 'cured' but I struggled with alcohol for about 6 years, 3 of which I managed to be in dental school while drinking vodka morning, noon and night... Every single day! I did start falling behind, but my husband was fed up and I was too and when I quit I became very depressed. AA filled my time and I started feeling better, too! I managed to get off of BP meds! I was on antidepressants for 6 mo after and took myself off of them (not a good idea without tapering I learned!). On a rural rotation my final semester of school, I looked for an alternative when in my room alone one night. I found an online 'pharmacy' of sorts and never looked back. On opiates I function better than on alcohol. I like the feeling better too! I don't miss alcohol anymore... I miss opiates! I don't know what Im going to do, but I know I will stay clean for this baby and take it day by day after that! I have ZERO patience! That's a huge issue along with desiring immediate gratification!
Old 04-05-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm really hoping my dentist isn't addicted to opiates.

The secrecy thing? That's another part of the dark side. I hope you can get honest with yourself and your family and get some help. I can't imagine what an opiates addiction is doing to your unborn child. Does your doctor know? I'm guessing not, if they let you go ahead with an embryo implant.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No... I have been clean since Ive been pregnant. Im only 5.5 weeks along. I lost 8 lbs during withdrawal but most of that was just prior to pregnancy. Why are you judging me? Im trying to do the right thing. Im not using! In addition, Ive been in AA, NA (hate NA bc Im not like most of them), outpatient rehab, SA counseling twice. Im running out of options here. I guess maybe I just haven't wanted it bad enough yet.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clean4Once View Post
No... I have been clean since Ive been pregnant. Im only 5.5 weeks along. I lost 8 lbs during withdrawal but most of that was just prior to pregnancy. Why are you judging me? Im trying to do the right thing. Im not using!
Originally Posted by Clean4Once View Post
My sobriety date is 3/18/2015.
Um. Which is it?

You came here looking for approval? Oh. Sorry.

Good luck with the pregnancy.