Notices

Well, they kicked me out.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I truly did not mean to upset you. I really was just asking what we could help you with. Sorry I asked. I will stay off your thread as I am not in FL and do not know what they have to offer.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you said you can't get food stamps but there's other info on that site for help that I hope you'll check out

Other Organizations that Offer Help | Florida Department of Children and Families

D
Old 04-04-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Not for nothing but this is a sobriety forum...we can help you with the sobriety but not with your job or rent. What were you looking for from the forum? Maybe if we knew we could give you answers you find more appropriate.
Nah you're right. This forum is about sobriety, not life changes. I'm just terrified, I am suddenly having to live on my own and I don't know what to do. I'm sorry I snapped at you. I'm just scared really bad.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well you're in luck sobriety is about life changes We can help with both. It is scary but I have found in my life everything happens for a reason. We just don't always see it right away.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well you're in luck sobriety is about life changes We can help with both. It is scary but I have found in my life everything happens for a reason. We just don't always see it right away.
Back to the topic at hand, I think if I can stay sober, I can make better choices, spend my money in better ways and have a better chance of surviving. I don't mean to sound like a little kid but I've never been evicted before and I'm terrified! There are options like EBT once I get a job working 20 hour per week, and I can probably get some sort of government subsidized housing. Being sober is one thing, but actually living sober is something else entirely.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't mean to sound patronizing and maybe I missed it, but do you have any family that could help you out?
Old 04-04-2015, 10:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Mom's dead, dad lives in Portugal and wants basically nothing to do with me. So, no.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLGuy34 View Post
Back to the topic at hand, I think if I can stay sober, I can make better choices, spend my money in better ways and have a better chance of surviving. I don't mean to sound like a little kid but I've never been evicted before and I'm terrified! There are options like EBT once I get a job working 20 hour per week, and I can probably get some sort of government subsidized housing. Being sober is one thing, but actually living sober is something else entirely.
I know it's scary! Lots of folks are just a couple missed paychecks from being in the same position. You did hit it on the head though- sobriety is the cornerstone upon which to build. Being sober will help you make good choices and get stuff squared away.

It's easy to imagine the worst, but try to break one big problem down into a bunch of smaller challenges. Then attack them one by one.

We're here for you, and I'm really glad you did post, FLGuy34!
Old 04-04-2015, 10:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FLGuy34 View Post
Mom's dead, dad lives in Portugal and wants basically nothing to do with me. So, no.
Hi, I have been homeless before. The only thing that can help you now is sheer pragmatism. If you have no source of income, then apply for any and every job conceivable. Don't consider yourself above anything. Scrubbing s**t off toilets allowed me to educate myself, which got me a career.

Quit drinking, prove yourself sober. Use every and any contact you have to help you, you might be surprised as to who is willing. I got off the streets because a friend from high school took pity on me.

Last but not least, self pity is a black hole that is hard to fall out of once you fall in.

I am not saying any of these things to sound horrible. I want you to get through this.

Best of luck, Tom.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks for enduring my initial terror. You didn't have to, but you did, and I appreciate it. You seem like a good person. Keep it up. :-)
Old 04-05-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
Hi, I have been homeless before. The only thing that can help you now is sheer pragmatism. If you have no source of income, then apply for any and every job conceivable. Don't consider yourself above anything. Scrubbing s**t off toilets allowed me to educate myself, which got me a career.

Quit drinking, prove yourself sober. Use every and any contact you have to help you, you might be surprised as to who is willing. I got off the streets because a friend from high school took pity on me.

Last but not least, self pity is a black hole that is hard to fall out of once you fall in.

I am not saying any of these things to sound horrible. I want you to get through this.

Best of luck, Tom.
I've scrubbed gunk off toilets. I've worked for Universal Studios where we had to mop up puke and clean dung from the... well... yeah... there's nothing I consider beneath me. I just want to be able to live, y'know? I don't want to be one of those guys who lives under the bridge when I have an able body and a sound mind. I can program applications in multiple languages and I can roller blade several miles in each direction before I come home. I just don't want to end up living on the street because I have trouble communicating with people. I'm willing to to the work-- ANY work-- just please don't take my home away from me because I had a drinking problem.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey FLGuy. No one in here wants anything but the best for you. You're the one at ground zero though and that must suck.

Do you know anything we could do to help you? You need a job for example. What can we do to help you get one?

If you are having trouble with your new land lord, what is it? Perhaps someone here can help.

There are thousands of people who visit this place. Use us to help you. The only payment we'd like is to know you're okay.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi. Sorry to hear things didn't work out living with your friends.
I can understand you posting on here about it to get some support. Thing is,-you'll have to excuse the natural scepticism of some of us regarding whether it's as straightforward as Housemates = Villains / FLGuy34 = Victim. This really, truthful isn't a criticism. It's more a natural consequence of our own understandings of an alcoholic mind. Remember, we're all alcoholics as well,so along with the sympathy for your predicament, we can all remember our own incidents of not seeing our part in disagreements and problems.

I'm UK based so the systems to support people to find housing are all WAY different to what you'll be struggling with, so I have no 'practical' information to offer. I bet it is horribly scary though, and you have my every sympathy for being in that situation.

You mentioned in other posts that you were intending to go along for support at AA. Did that work out for you? I really hope it did, as the support you get at meetings could be crucial for you at the moment. Plus the people there might have some useful information / contacts for you as they're in your local area and are more likely than us lot to know what's available for you.

Please take care of yourself (ie don't drink!!) - things will get better.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
I can understand you posting on here about it to get some support. Thing is,-you'll have to excuse the natural scepticism of some of us regarding whether it's as straightforward as Housemates = Villains / FLGuy34 = Victim. This really, truthful isn't a criticism. It's more a natural consequence of our own understandings of an alcoholic mind.
First of all, it's spelled 'skepticism', and no, I don't feel that way whatsoever. I am acutely aware of every mistake I've made to contribute to this situation. They keep me awake at night. I've lived through every single day of it. It's even possible that in their position I may have done the same, but I don't believe it was handled well at all, by any of us. We were both wrong, even my former roommate has told me he regrets how things turned out, but there's no going back. I don't see them as villains, although I am angry at them. I don't see myself as a victim, although I am terrified of my future.

Life is often more complicated than dualities like villains and victims. Please don't push those kinds of archetypes on to my words.

Last edited by FLGuy34; 04-05-2015 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Clarity.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Nevermind the skepticism remark-- I looked it up and see the spelling differences between our cultures. I was just slightly offended by your post, and you can't alter your own message after 15 minutes.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi FLGuy. I know owners look for people to work at campgrounds and rv resorts in the summer in Florida. Seems that hardly anyone wants to work in the heat, especially if they are from the North, and it is hard for owners to find people that will do it. If you look there is a site workampers.com that shows jobs. If you could scrape enough dough together to get a small rv and secure a job it might be a possibility for you. Not a whole lot of money, but the living isn't hard. Just a suggestion.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lets keep the comments constructive please.

Thanks

Dee
SR
Old 04-05-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post

....Sorry to hear things didn't work out living with your friends.
...I can understand you posting on here about it to get some support.
... This really, truthful isn't a criticism.
... we can all remember our own incidents of not seeing our part in disagreements and problems.
...I bet it is horribly scary though, and you have my every sympathy for being in that situation.
...You mentioned in other posts that you were intending to go along for support at AA. Did that work out for you? I really hope it did, as the support you get at meetings could be crucial for you at the moment. Plus the people there might have some useful information / contacts for you as they're in your local area and are more likely than us lot to know what's available for you.
...Please take care of yourself (ie don't drink!!) - things will get better.

I'm really am sorry if you thought I was having a go at you (honestly - I wasn't attacking you or any argument) Perhaps you misconstrued the feeling behind my message what with all the confusion over my spelling and all... Anyway -no hard feelings intended. I hope you get things sorted better for you soon - esp with the cat issue that you have (I know I'd be absolutely gutted if I had to leave mine with someone else).
Old 04-05-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Lets keep the comments constructive please.

Thanks

Dee
SR
If that comment was aimed at me I apologize. Maybe I worded it wrong. I don't always say things right I suppose. This work is what I do and I am very happy to be doing it. Another poster commented that they'd like to help him with a job, I was only trying to make a suggestion to help.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was a general message Straightshoot - I have to post under someone tho
Sorry if you felt maligned
D