Notices

I have to share at AA tonight... my first time

Old 08-19-2004, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

I have to share at AA tonight... my first time

Hi,

I'm new to this site, and I'm here looking for help. I have to share tonight at AA. I haven't ever done this and have only been sober since 5/30/04. I feel I'm ready to do this, however, am not sure that I can talk for 30 minutes. I'm told that there is no required length of time that you have to share but I'm afraid I'll have nothing to say after 10 minutes. Any insight as to what I can talk about? I know that the format should be, how it was, what made me stop and get help and how things are now.. but are there any easy topics to discuss out there? I'm not the most socially comfortable person..

Thanks in advance,
RB
Old 08-19-2004, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome and congratulations on the sober time.

You say you are ready so that tells me you are feeling some comfort level to share. Now just share. Know that what you say will touch someone. Maybe one, maybe 100. Some will write notes as a guide. I like to speak from my heart as guided. 5 minutes or 30 from your heart and experiences will shout more then 30 pages of a typed out proof read scripted speach.
Just be yourself and share what you know.
You will do wonderful.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

Before you share, ask your HP to help you. You'll share what is meant to be shared and what is meant to be heard. Don't plan it, just do it, and you'll be amazed when your done how good it feels. Remember, we all had our first share, and keep going back! Good luck, you'll be just fine.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

thank you...

Originally Posted by best
Welcome and congratulations on the sober time.

You say you are ready so that tells me you are feeling some comfort level to share. Now just share. Know that what you say will touch someone. Maybe one, maybe 100. Some will write notes as a guide. I like to speak from my heart as guided. 5 minutes or 30 from your heart and experiences will shout more then 30 pages of a typed out proof read scripted speach.
Just be yourself and share what you know.
You will do wonderful.

I'll post back when I'm back!

rb
Old 08-19-2004, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Great will like to hear how things went.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

Keep in mind that whatever you say, and however you say it, it is going to help someone else. That thought alone helped me the first time.
It's a great experience.
And welcome to SoberRecovery!
Old 08-19-2004, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

piece of cake!

Originally Posted by best
Great will like to hear how things went.
Hey that went really well! I just sat up there and let it all out. I followed the basic layout of how it was, what happened to make me stop, and how it is now and it was easier than I thought. I was actually thinking, at the end of the meeting, that I'd like to share again sometime.

I got some good feedback too, and talked with some people after the meeting. They all advised me to start looking for a sponsor and someone also suggested that I try to do 90 in 90.

I'm kind of at a point where I'm comfy. I've been sober for 3 months, which I know, is not long. But it's kind of an anxious comfort... no extreme highs or lows... So, I think I need to hit AA more often now.

Anyway, thank you for your advice and support!

RB
Old 08-19-2004, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Chy

Glad it went well, and thanks for sharing that! The next newcomer to come along perhaps will be put at ease.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dan

Well done!
Thanks for being of service.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Congratulations, Arby!!! Now you don't ever have to share your story for the first time ever again!!!

The first time (and only time, so far) that I shared my story in a meeting, I got about 5 minutes warning. (The person who was supposed to be the speaker didn't show.) I am actually glad it happened that way so I didn't have any time to freak out about it!!!

I am glad this experience has helped to inspire you to get more involved in AA. It certainly cannot hurt!!!!

Hugs to you--