Notices

Just Had a Dream About Drinking

Old 04-03-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Had a Dream About Drinking

So I was living in some place I've never lived before. A unit in a building you access through a lift and then you have to walk over a ledge on another building into mine then down some stairs into the corridor where my place is.

For some reason I met Billy Connolly on the train after I'd gone out to buy 3 bottles of cheap scotch and coke zero.

He came with me to my place and was doing an ad for some alcoholic drink taking photos outside the entrance to the corridor in which my unit was located. It was night time and i was on the top floor and there was no roof, so the full moon was shining and everything.

Then i went into my unit and Billy became my father then my mother showed up and the liquor was on the couch next to me hidden and I couldn't drink it because they were there and would have got pissed off.

I was quite angry that they were there and I couldn't drink. Dad was making dinner and then I woke up.

Weird. I wrote this right after waking up.

Thoughts?
Old 04-03-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're asking for an interpretation I can't help you there lol.

I had some pretty weird and vivid dreams in the beginning.
It's very common.

As an aside Billy is one of my heroes. He stopped drinking in the 80s

D
Old 04-03-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Adding to the dream. Just remembered that I had skipped class to drink. It was a fictional class though and I've never been there, but I was doing well until that night. And I felt guilty for not going. I slept in so I would have been late for class in the dream. Then I went out for alcohol. Even though I knew I had work the next day.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you're asking for an interpretation I can't help you there lol.

I had some pretty weird and vivid dreams in the beginning.
It's very common.

As an aside Billy is one of my heroes. He stopped drinking in the 80s

D
I'd love an interpretation if there's a psych who visits the forum

Billy Connolly was just in Perth on tour. My manager saw him.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Vivid deams & nightmares will fade DD

The Big Yin in your dreams tho i havnt got a scooby DD
Old 04-03-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by DrunkenDonuts View Post
I'd love an interpretation if there's a psych who visits the forum

Billy Connolly was just in Perth on tour. My manager saw him.
Yeah I met him in the street when he was up here. Nice bloke

D
Old 04-03-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had quite a few drinking dreams at first. I take melatonin sometimes and always have vivid dreams on it.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh I did last night too!! At least it's just a dream
Old 04-03-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I still have drinking dreams from time to time. Someone once told me it is God's way of reminding me that I'm still an alcoholic. This explanation makes about as much sense as anything else I've heard so I decided to embrace it.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi DD.

I do a lot of this for myself so happy to play a little

It's best if you try to associate to the different aspects of your dream yourself, including the emotional content. If I understand correctly, you did not drink in your dream after all, right? How did you feel when you woke up from it, disturbed or satisfied?

One thing you can try is to imagine that every character in your dream represents you, aspects (projections) of yourself. What do they mean/symbolize to you this way? The one that you identified in first person as "yourself" within the dream? The Billy Connolly figure? Your father and mother? Try to think about stuff (events, context, emotions, any kind of association) that comes up from your mind quickly when you think about them. Can do the same with your dream environment and imagery.

Here is what I came up with very quickly after reading it, but it's my associations so don't take for granted. Quite simple, actually. Let's assume that we take Billy Connolly as a positive, attractive figure.
It's a temptation to drink. You know you should not (have a "class" and "work", means another business to do), but the temptation is too strong so you skip it. Then you start to chase your urge and the alcohol. Billy Connolly represents the craving and the "positive" aspect of drinking that attracts you (advertises it even). The top floor with no roof and open night sky is perhaps that you want "out", want to be "free" to drink, without risk.
Then suddenly you are "inside" again, constrained...the temptation morphs into your conscience and inhibition, represented by your parents. But you are pissed, because part of you would still want to drink. But "dad" is still there... then probably due to the strong emotional content, you wake up.
Try your version of associations.

In any case, you survived the dream craving unscratched, didn't you?
Old 04-03-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Billy is from my town, He is a legend. Funniest comedian ever. Hope your dreams calm down
Old 04-03-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have drinking/using dreams occasionally. I figure it's my brains way of reminding me of what could happen if I take that first drink/drug.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Hi DD.

I do a lot of this for myself so happy to play a little

It's best if you try to associate to the different aspects of your dream yourself, including the emotional content. If I understand correctly, you did not drink in your dream after all, right? How did you feel when you woke up from it, disturbed or satisfied?

One thing you can try is to imagine that every character in your dream represents you, aspects (projections) of yourself. What do they mean/symbolize to you this way? The one that you identified in first person as "yourself" within the dream? The Billy Connolly figure? Your father and mother? Try to think about stuff (events, context, emotions, any kind of association) that comes up from your mind quickly when you think about them. Can do the same with your dream environment and imagery.

Here is what I came up with very quickly after reading it, but it's my associations so don't take for granted. Quite simple, actually. Let's assume that we take Billy Connolly as a positive, attractive figure.
It's a temptation to drink. You know you should not (have a "class" and "work", means another business to do), but the temptation is too strong so you skip it. Then you start to chase your urge and the alcohol. Billy Connolly represents the craving and the "positive" aspect of drinking that attracts you (advertises it even). The top floor with no roof and open night sky is perhaps that you want "out", want to be "free" to drink, without risk.
Then suddenly you are "inside" again, constrained...the temptation morphs into your conscience and inhibition, represented by your parents. But you are pissed, because part of you would still want to drink. But "dad" is still there... then probably due to the strong emotional content, you wake up.
Try your version of associations.

In any case, you survived the dream craving unscratched, didn't you?
I'm not sure what the Billy Connolly character meant on the train, but the feelings of being disappointed with myself for drinking when I know it's the wrong thing to do are quite familiar.

I'm living with my parents at the moment after a really bad year last year, and I did have a couple of big binges in January but stopped on 28th January and haven't drink since.

My parents, especially my mum, hate it when I drink. Even before I admitted I was an Alco. If have one beer and she'd get angry with me even though I wasn't getting drunk.

I woke up feeling okay. Not happy or sad. Just posted this straight away.

On another note, for the last few days I've been feeling really clear headed and positive.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was thinking as a main meaning for this dream that you had what we commonly describe an "AV fight", and you won it. I was asking how you felt when you woke up because I heard many times here, and also it's my experience, that when we are trying to stay sober and have dreams in which we do drink (so, break our commitment), often there is an unpleasant, disturbing, disappointed feeling that lingers for a while upon waking.

Glad you are doing well
Old 04-03-2015, 09:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Court jester

Having completed my Masters in psychotherapy, I may be able to lend some insight. I believe your dream means one of the following:

1. Don't drink.
2. You are the love child of Billy Connolly and a groupie.
3. See #1
Old 04-03-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ok I don't get out much so had to google billy Connelly...

I used to wake up from drinking dreams in terror. I don't get them very often anymore, now I just wake up annoyed. In the dreams, I go between really wanting to drink and being mad and trying to cover up that I did. I used to worry that it was a sign I would drink. It's not.

Some may say it's your minds way of dealing with the lack of booze. Some may say you are working out your stress. Some may say it's like those dreams where you realize you forgot to take that crucial class at university 10 years ago and now don't have that degree after all.

It could be any or none of those things. It's a dream. You woke up sober and won't drink today. That's what matters!
Old 04-03-2015, 10:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrunkenDonuts View Post
So I was living in some place I've never lived before. A unit in a building you access through a lift and then you have to walk over a ledge on another building into mine then down some stairs into the corridor where my place is.

For some reason I met Billy Connolly on the train after I'd gone out to buy 3 bottles of cheap scotch and coke zero.

He came with me to my place and was doing an ad for some alcoholic drink taking photos outside the entrance to the corridor in which my unit was located. It was night time and i was on the top floor and there was no roof, so the full moon was shining and everything.

Then i went into my unit and Billy became my father then my mother showed up and the liquor was on the couch next to me hidden and I couldn't drink it because they were there and would have got pissed off.

I was quite angry that they were there and I couldn't drink. Dad was making dinner and then I woke up.

Weird. I wrote this right after waking up.

Thoughts?
As I have over the years re: alcoholism, my perception has changed re: drinking dreams; I view both as positive.

When I understood that my alcoholic drinking was the symptom, this lead me to understanding that the solution for the problem of why I became addicted was self-examination; that's positive.

My drinking dreams were also positive because my dreams helped me work out many truths of why I was a shame based approval seeker, full of guilt.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
Having completed my Masters in psychotherapy, I may be able to lend some insight. I believe your dream means one of the following:

1. Don't drink.
2. You are the love child of Billy Connolly and a groupie.
3. See #1
lol.

I got the same.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I had some in my first 30 days but they weren't dreams... more nightmarish. They were so "real" and vivid that I awoke thinking it really happened for an minute or two and felt guilty for drinking. Even if that happened in the middle of the night and I went back to sleep, when I awoke in the morning I still felt guilty for a while. My sponsor assured me it was normal I think that's what made them stop actually.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This is really the first drinking dream I've had that I can remember. The only thing that's happened to me recently which had any impact mentally was talking to a work colleague I care about. A relative of hers died and she was really down and was planning to get really wasted too cope. I messaged her last night so she knew I was there if she wanted to talk and she told me she had company who were all getting stoned. I said I was glad she was doing the right thing not getting stoned and she got pissy with me.

I know I was right in my categorization of it not being the right thing to do, and this is the first time I can ever remember being morally confident. I used to smoke aton of weed so I know what I'm on about.