Notices

Something I have learned here

Old 04-03-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Great post haennie, interesting you joined in 2010 and plugged away for 4 years before finally getting it right. that's pretty awesome.
Yeah, I did absolutely nothing during those nearly 4 years to get sober apart from studying how addiction works and what other people do about it. I was just trying to use some willpower without anything else, to not drink, during the last year only. But no commitment. Epic fail, never even lasted a week (I think I had 5 straight days once). It wasn't trying and failing with relapses -- I did not try at all. When I finally did, it worked... so for me it's not like my efforts failed. But I could have followed exactly the same "protocol" 4 years earlier if I decided on it, I think. So for me it was lack of decision and lack of commitment. And I typically liked to think about myself as a decisive person... ha!
Old 04-03-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
There is an old saying that is "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink". I am starting to learn what that means on a very serious level here at SR. People try and try to quit drugs and alcohol with the best of intentions. But it almost seems like it is not likely to happen until that person is ready. And everyone's "readiness" is different. I've learned some new terms here like a high bottom, which is rock bottom at a different level, correct? Anyway, reading another post, I kind of related to what people were saying, and that was that they were there to help 24/7 but if you aren't ready, we are wasting our time. "wasting our time" is probably not the right phrase, but I get it. It makes sense to me. I guess it depends on the the individuals involved.

This post is merely an observation, I have another post in which I will need input. Thank you.
This is a very helpful post for others Thomas and some good observations which I would like to comment on - you've touched on some important issues.

"High Bottom " and readiness I believe are tied intimately and not only keep people away from sobriety but probably kill many. Not just the person who is a HB but the collateral damage to others.

As a person who did not lose many worldly possessions, it took me a very long time to comprehend I had lost / was losing many more important things in my life. One day I realized that my values and beliefs no longer mimicked by actions and behaviors. I had reached the point of sick and tired of being sick and tired and became "ready".

Readiness I believe has two components. One is acceptance that we have a deadly problem. I accepted this several years ago but still did nothing. The other is the willingness to change. THAT becomes the action verb. We not only accept the problem, we accept the solution.

I wonder sometimes if the "high bottom" is the saddest of all drunks. Having "everything" but lost all, loving nothing.

Glad grace showed up in my life!!
Happy Easter
Old 04-03-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I agree with a few about not being ready. I was certainly not at all ready to stop drinking.

Don't know what made me think of this cartoon, but it applies in my case. I dared to step over the line one too many times.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Trudgin

[QUOTE=LBrain;5298667]I agree with a few about not being ready. I was certainly not at all ready to stop drinking.

Don't know what made me think of this cartoon, but it applies in my case. I dared to step over the line one too many times.

perfect!
Old 04-03-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
There are so many factors that will make or break a person's program. Sometimes it takes years for them to figure out what that is. It can be as simple as surrender or acceptance.
that's a keeper
Old 04-03-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Flynbuy.

Lbrain, that's quite an illustration of addiction. Sooner or later, I'll take you over the edge...if you let it.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Perfect cartoon! Thanks...

I would not have gotten sober if I weren't pressed back against the wall with medical issues. My intent was to do this for six months, complete my medical treatment, make the doc happy...

I am high bottom (wow, look at that cute high bottom!) in the sense that I never had legal or financial losses, had a great career, etc. I soon discovered that I had "kept it together" by using a tremendous amount of energy & intention, & had taken other, quieter losses. For example, I mostly drank alone at home, partially because my professional reputation was important to me. Keeping my drinking a secret meant that I said "no" to people, to opportunities for friendship. I said "no" to yoga classes and challenging hikes. I stayed protected, and thus most of my losses were in possibilities.

In the end, I was heart achingly lonely.

So my "high bottom" was like those undies you can buy that have the fake butt pads in them to make your bottom look better!

I passed the six month point a couple of months ago. I considered having a drink to celebrate having moved through my medical odyssey. But, my life is better & I don't want to stop. Those invisible hurt places are healing. I'm taking risks & am growing.

So, I agree that sometimes an imposed sobriety can bring about the real thing! If I had not been "forced into this," I might not have walked through the door to my new life...

Some people call the magic of this journey - with all its coincidence & happenings - the touch of God, a grace. I feel like all the planets aligned to put me exactly where I was when "sobriety found me." I just have to keep up with the changes!!