Notices

How many meetings do you go to?

Old 04-02-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iconoclastic View Post
When the Alcoholics Anonymous text was written in 1938 there weren't any AA meetings or AA fellowship. As written, the first edition text as well as the multilith was left intact. The only changes in future editions were additions e.g. Spiritual Experience.

AA meetings aren't the suggested program of recovery. The AA text states it very simply in Chapter 5 HOW IT WORKS, on page 59, it reads, Here are the steps we took, which are suggested as a program of recovery: It doesn't read, Here are the meetings we attended, which are suggested as a program of recovery:

What you heard is the typical AA party-line, and it's fear based, but it's not the Alcoholics Anonymous suggested program of recovery. In this context, those that live with this fear are still psychologically addicted.

David Stewart, MD stated well the difference between abstinence and sobriety in his book "thirst for freedom".....

"Few people realize that sobriety is an action of insights and skills far beyond mere abstinence. Sobriety is a creative discipline in the art of freedom of growth and of love. To be yourself, is to become yourself."
Wow... okay, glad I found this place to ask these uncomfortable questions... I will continue to go to meeting(s) and as I said I genuinely like the folks in the meeting I am attending... however I get the feeling that if I said (in that meeting) "can I just go to this meeting and try to get a handle on how all this works?" I would be encouraged to get out to more meetings no matter what.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

it is always good to try more meetings. Different meeting have different focusses and formats, and you get to meet a wider range of people to learn from as well.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
I followed that advice. I got some phone numbers and talked to other alcoholics every day. I needed to make sure my brain was not left unattended for very long - it's the same brain that got me here.

Kind Regards
Powerful stuff right there.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Marcus writes>>>I know the steps are the program, but meetings were a huge help for me especially early on before I had an understanding of the steps and worked them with my Sponsor. Yes I can call my sponsor, but going to big book meetings and step meetings just made sense to me.<<<

We're on the same page, Marcus. As I shared earlier on this thread, years ago I attended a lot of meetings which affirmed my desire to recover. I also attended Big Book and 12X12 Step and Tradition studies. Even through sponsorship isn't suggested for recovery, including the 5th Step (it doesn't say sponsor), I had a sponsor who helped guide me through the 12 Steps. He was my father's age and we became close friends. I was holding him in my arms when he died in his own bed. He was an MD and he died as most doctors die, in their own bed at home. Many of my friends today are AA members. I met my wife at an AA meeting.

For me, AA the text book and AA meetings / fellowship made choice possible, but then eventually choice became unnecessary. This is one way I describe why I have recovered. In other words, I’m not any more concerned with drinking than I am with not drinking; drinking or not drinking is no longer an issue, for I have recovered. But, my recovery was from my alcoholism which was a symptom, not the problem, which is ME. As it states on page 64 in the Big Book, “Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.” Here is where my on-going recovery exists, especially my co-dependency which my recovery from has gotten considerably better over the years. Due to my co-dependency, years ago, I work the AA fellowship and not the AA program; this is why I recognize this behavior in others.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Like Marcus posted - I too enjoy meetings. The wanderers group sounds awesome!
Old 04-02-2015, 10:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Marcus writes>>>I know the steps are the program, but meetings were a huge help for me especially early on before I had an understanding of the steps and worked them with my Sponsor. Yes I can call my sponsor, but going to big book meetings and step meetings just made sense to me.<<<

Were on the same page, Marcus. As I shared earlier on this thread, years ago I attended a lot of meetings which affirmed my desire to recover. I also attended Big Book and 12X12 Step and Tradition studies. Even though sponsorship isn't suggested for recovery, including the 5th Step (it doesn't say sponsor), I had a sponsor who helped guide me through the 12 Steps. He was my father's age and we became close friends. I was holding him in my arms when he died in his own bed. He was an MD and he died as most doctors die, in their own bed at home. Many of my friends today are AA members. I met my wife at an AA meeting.

For me, AA the text book and AA meetings / fellowship made choice possible, but eventually choice became unnecessary. This is one way I describe why I have recovered. In other words, I’m not any more concerned with drinking than I am with not drinking; drinking or not drinking is no longer an issue, for I have recovered. But, my recovery was from my alcoholism which was a symptom, not the problem, which is ME. As it states on page 64 in the Big Book, “Our liquor was but a symptom. So we had to get down to causes and conditions.” Here is where my on-going recovery exists, especially my co-dependency which my recovery from has gotten considerably better over the years. Due to my co-dependency, years ago, I work the AA fellowship and not the AA program; this is why I recognize this behavior in others.