Notices

I am Very Sorry

Old 04-01-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am Very Sorry

I want to apologize for my April Fools Day joke. I did not intend to hurt anyone or make anyone upset. I did it in the spirit of camaraderie, or so I thought.

I am upset and utterly ashamed of myself for being so naive. MarathonMan, you are right. I should not be here. I don't want to set people off and if I seem like I am not taking sobriety seriously, then I should not be here.

Thank you all for being supportive over the last three weeks. I really appreciate it.

Pouncer
Old 04-01-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pouncer what you did was totally without malice.

I'm sorry if some of the replies in that thread hurt you.

There's absolutely no problem between us, and I can't see any real cogent reason for you to leave SR

D
Old 04-01-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree with D Pouncer
Old 04-01-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hey Pouncer - no need to apologise, you were funny.

You had me fooled, I only came to the thread late so I soon found out you were joking

You weren't trying to hurt anyone and it was a clever post. I was taken in but not in the least offended
Old 04-01-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your April Fools prank was funny - at least I thought so. People share varying opinions though which is cool too as long as expressed w/ respect & civility.

Pouncer please stick around!!
Old 04-01-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Pouncer, I know EXACTLY how you feel. One of my goals over the past couple of years was to catch myself before saying something which might offend.

You can't beat yourself up over it. Just move on.

No matter what you say, someone will make it their mission to be offended by it anyway. I'm not referring to your joke - just in general.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just a simple restart is all that's needed.
Now I we will take my our sobriety more seriously today.

Mountainman
Old 04-01-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Humor and being able to laugh without substances is part of recovery if you ask me. But there are a lot of sensitive souls on here. Maybe post in a different location, not sure which one?
Old 04-01-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found your post to be fun and not upsetting (to me at least). So in my opinion there is no need to apologize.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Pouncer, go easy on yourself. How were you to know. There are people from all 4 corners of earth on this site, along with every socioeconomic, and cultural level imaginable. It was in jest, and I for one took it that way.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Pouncer please don't leave. Stuff like this is part of the jumbled world of being human. It can get especially tricky in online environments where there are so many people in different places and mental spaces.

Take this experience on as a challenge of sobriety. We alcoholics can be a sensitive lot. Running away may feel the safest for whatever range of emotions you may be feeling, but try to allow yourself to be objective and work through it. You posted on one of the thousands of internet forums in the world and some people there had some varying opinions about what you posted. That's it...full stop. The rest of it is just the meaning you allow to be attached to it. :-)
Old 04-01-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Pouncer, shake it off and stick around.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Humor and being able to laugh without substances is part of recovery if you ask me. But there are a lot of sensitive souls on here. Maybe post in a different location, not sure which one?
The Café and Recovery Follies are set up for humour.

Pouncer, I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Court jester

Dammit. I missed the threaed entirely! Regardless, I would not have been offended. An integral part of my sobriety is humor and not taking myself so serious.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Pouncer, unless you withdraw your apology I
am flouncing out of this thread. Are you sprepared for that?

We love Pouncer
Old 04-01-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's all good, it was clear you meant only light hearted goodness and just as many appreciated it as were upset by it.

In recovery - as in life - you can't please everyone all the time.

Don't let it shake you.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

fwiw

I figured it was a spoof just from the title. it is April Fool's Day. maybe if it was in the support section you would have gotten a better response.

lesson learned, the newcomer's section is serious business. no minor conversation allowed, no levity, just post your drinking issues and respond in kind..quite different from when I first joined in 2010.

I think that closing the thread was OK, but making a fairly new sober poster feel bad is not what SR is all about.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Pouncer, unless you withdraw your apology I am flouncing out of this thread. Are you sprepared for that? We love Pouncer
I'm with you
Old 04-01-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Pouncer,

I see people at AA meetings laughing all the time about how some people describe something they are going through. Some of the things people have done while drunk are just hillarious, but that doesn't mean anybody at the meetings are not taking their sobriety seriously.
Unfortunately, the only thing we know about each other is what we post, so it's easy to misunderstand someone's intentions when they post something.
It's healthy to have a good sense of humour. I lost it when I was drinking, and I'll be damned if I let anybody take it away from me. It's one of my most important tools in staying sober. Your fine, keep posting. John
Old 04-01-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
I want to apologize for my April Fools Day joke. I did not intend to hurt anyone or make anyone upset. I did it in the spirit of camaraderie, or so I thought.

I am upset and utterly ashamed of myself for being so naive. MarathonMan, you are right. I should not be here. I don't want to set people off and if I seem like I am not taking sobriety seriously, then I should not be here.

Thank you all for being supportive over the last three weeks. I really appreciate it.

Pouncer
Evening all! Just sticking my nose in, I just read through your 'opening a brewery' post... Couldn't pass by without a few words.

Some have found it funny, others seem to find it inappropriate so here's my take:
From the business end! Joking aside, people who've read my posts since I've been active will know I'm an alcoholic in recovery. Got sober for 6 months or so, relapsed, got sober again.

Here's what you good people of SR don't know: I live in, and run, a pub. No joke. We've been here nearly 10 years and I was a 'functioning' alcoholic even before we came here.

I didn't find your April fool offensive in the least. Surely this is a place where we can all come to share the good, the bad and the ugly about everything? After all, we're all grown ups, aren't we?

I understand people's negative reactions but don't think that a little light hearted banter should be taken too seriously!

Don't feel bad Pouncer, and certainly don't leave SR!

Forgive me if I speak out of turn, but I seriously think no harm done.

Hugs
NGB