Notices

I am Very Sorry

Old 04-01-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

PS
I also learned the hard way not to let other people interfere with my sobriety. My AV loves that stuff. If posting on SR helps you to stay sober, post to your hearts content. John
Old 04-01-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
PS
I also learned the hard way not to let other people interfere with my sobriety. My AV loves that stuff. If posting on SR helps you to stay sober, post to your hearts content. John
Exactly!!!!!

If that's the worse thing you did today Pouncer consider it a good day.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Pouncer, please don't be so hard on yourself. I, as many people here, found your joke funny. I can also understand where some people found it a little inappropriate but that's no big deal. We live, we learn. Obviously, based on the response from this thread no one wants to lose you over a harmless joke

Hope you are feeling better and I look forward to many more of your posts in the future!
Old 04-01-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
fwiw
lesson learned, the newcomer's section is serious business. no minor conversation allowed, no levity, just post your drinking issues and respond in kind..quite different from when I first joined in 2010.
Well I've been here since 2007...and I disagree Fandy.

We have a lot of laughs and fun in Newcomers - but there's a lot of really desperate people too who just want help.

It's a hard thing to balance but I think we generally do it pretty well - if you were to come back and post a little more regularly here I'm sure you'd agree.

making a fairly new sober poster feel bad is not what SR is all about.
The original thread was closed.
I've replied to Pouncer here and in a PM.

Noone wants her to feel bad or leave

D
Old 04-01-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Pouncer, please stay. Everyone has a different sense of humor. I, personally, got a laugh out of it. I understand that others don't. But you aren't so weak that comments from others make you give up. Most comments were supportive. Stick around. And let marathon man live in his own life. He doesn't dictate your life. Just be grateful that he doesn't live in your real world!
Old 04-01-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I thought it was totally without malice...can't say the about some of the responses. Kinda makes me sad.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Stay, a joke is a joke. But I missed it. Building my own momentum to pop back up. Long story.

So rock on, if Dee says it's cool, then it's cool.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

^ Patman!

Return of ThePat. Return of Thepat♬ *ahem, sorry...

I must have missed all the angry or hurtful comments earlier

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
In recovery - as in life - you can't please everyone all the time.
Yep, pretty much. I wouldn't worry about it Pouncer. No harm done
Old 04-01-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Pouncer, sorry for the public humiliation. If you find value here please stay around.

Fandy, I feel you. Not the same place at all.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Pouncer, I will admit you got me and I did find it humorous while also being glad that you weren't placing yourself in such a vulnerable situation. My take on all the responses in this thread and your original one is that folks understand that there clearly was no malice intent, but it's a rawer issue to some than others. Everyone wants you to stick around. Please do. Whether online or in real life I'm sure we've all tried to make a joke that didn't go over well; I know I certainly have.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Pouncer,
As so many said it was a joke, without malice, no harm done!
And we all learned something from your experience.....that is some are very sensitive about sobriety and don't appreciate jokes about it.
Well OK. Now you know, and go on from there.....

But don't leave the forum, that would be over-reacting. Early sobriety is said to be an emotional roller coaster, and maybe that is what you are riding....
It really is not a big deal....

What is a bigger deal is that you are feeling comfortable enough on the forum to post and are making friends & staying sober...that is the important, big deal here!
So please stay....
And I am pretty sure you can say anything on the weekender thread.....
Old 04-01-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey Pouncer

I saw the thread and quickly scanned it. To be honest, as we are way ahead in terms of time zones, the April Fool was a bit late

Seriously, I just shrugged when I read the original post. However, I am fortunate to be past the very early stage of recovery so it just wasn't a big deal for me.

In my early stages of recovery, I may not have found it so funny. Having said that, for my personal recovery, having a sense of humour was crucial in getting through the early days. At my AA home group, it used to be like a show in the first few months ! The secretary had a deviant sense of humour and conducted the group like an event. Sometimes it was sidesplitting hilarious ! The days passed by faster that way and the important messages were better retained when told in a funny (but caring) fashion.

So, dont let one thread derail you from having SR as part of your recovery. That thread will pass as all things do.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I've managed an online forum before, much smaller than this one, and it is MUCH more work than it seems. I am in awe of the job the Mods and Admins do here. Nobody gets it right 100% of the time, but if this was a pro sport they'd be in the Hall of Fame.

Here's my concern about this thread, Pouncer. In the past I've had posts I meant to be funny or enthusiastic deleted and terse PMs from the moderators here. One time it gave me a big case of the eff-its. Screw this place if you can't take a joke! I don't belong here! A few days later I was drinking again. My AV was driving that bus.

What's your AV doing?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hey, this is what we do...we offend, apologize and are hopefully forgiven. As sober folk, we learn from our lessons, and do not repeat, yes?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Pull up a chair, Pouncer, you're among friends!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I thought it was funny. I love joking about my past drinking. Off-color sense of humor here. I loved it.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

(Drifts off-topic) Patman! Good to see you.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Northlander View Post
(Drifts off-topic) Patman! Good to see you.
Totally off topic but totally agree. Back to the subject at hand ...we have to help this one. I fear she has been run off.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'd say let it go now and move on. Everyone knows that you meant no harm, pouncer. Let's let this one go.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Geez, everyone get a grip, shake it off and move on! No snark intended.../just sayin'.