Notices

Freaking out

Old 04-01-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Freaking out

My next door neighbor was broken into at noon today. The man kicked in her back door and stole her jewelry. She is a stay at home mom and home schools her kids who were there. She was so scared that she only could give a very general description of the guy. The police came over to tell me about it and to be careful.

I live alone, so this is freaking me out a bit. This is a nice neighborhood and I've lived here for 15 years. Never has happened before.

This is NOT an April Fools joke!
Old 04-01-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, sorry to hear about that! Thank god everyone is ok. That would freak me out terribly. Hope the police are able to catch him!
Old 04-01-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear everyone is OK. My place of work was broken into last week as well so I know the feeling of unease.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

To be broken into in broad daylight is very frightening. That sounds to me like a druggie.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very frightening for you.
Probably unlikely they will try close to last event though.
Is a watch dog an option?
Old 04-01-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
My next door neighbor was broken into at noon today. The man kicked in her back door and stole her jewelry. She is a stay at home mom and home schools her kids who were there. She was so scared that she only could give a very general description of the guy. The police came over to tell me about it and to be careful.

I live alone, so this is freaking me out a bit. This is a nice neighborhood and I've lived here for 15 years. Never has happened before.

This is NOT an April Fools joke!
How scary. You are justified to be afraid. It is a relief that she and her children were not harmed.

I home-school too. If she is anything like me, she'll use that incident as a jumping-off point for a lesson about crime and punishment, development of centralized police force in America, history of Medieval and Renaissance punishments for theft, or crime statistics and socioeconomic background and their correlation of criminal behavior. (Maybe just a joke only home-schoolers would get).
Old 04-01-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry to hear that Art
Old 04-01-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
How scary. You are justified to be afraid. It is a relief that she and her children were not harmed.

I home-school too. If she is anything like me, she'll use that incident as a jumping-off point for a lesson about crime and punishment, development of centralized police force in America, history of Medieval and Renaissance punishments for theft, or crime statistics and socioeconomic background and their correlation of criminal behavior. (Maybe just a joke only home-schoolers would get).
She was very shaken up, as were the kids. I think she may provide a lecture like that, but not until she settles. I work from home so I am here all day and I did not hear a thing.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Heard they have some pretty good castle doctrine laws in Texas.

You could post a sign on your door that says "there is NOTHING is this house worth DYING for".
Old 04-01-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bubovski View Post
Very frightening for you.
Probably unlikely they will try close to last event though.
Is a watch dog an option?
I have several felines who probably would not appreciate that.

I have thought about this before, but now it seems like a viable option. I live in Texas and guns abound. Maybe I should get one for protection. I don't like guns, but....
Old 04-01-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
You could post a sign on your door that says "there is NOTHING is this house worth DYING for".
But you are assuming these people can actually READ!
Old 04-01-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry, AF, that is really scary.

Have you thought about getting an alarm system?
Old 04-01-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

OMG, that must have been incredibly scary. I hope the perps are caught. Fortunately, nobody was physically injured, but I'm sure your neighbors have some emotional scars that will take time to heal.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I'm sorry, AF, that is really scary.

Have you thought about getting an alarm system?
I actually have one. But, I only set it when I leave the house. I can't set while I am in the house because it has laser beams that trigger the alarm when they are broken by someone walking into them. They are too high for the cats to bother them. Maybe I could have that feature removed?
Old 04-01-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

As long as your house looks more difficult, will create more attention or nastier to pick on than someone else's then they tend not to bother .

A few shot up cans and a couple of used casings/shells on the porch might be more of a deterrent than a sign without having a gun around the place ?

Don't leave house, car or spare keys downstairs they are best kept in a bedside draw as it's pretty annoying to have to change your locks and have all your things driven off in your own car .

Self activating security flood lights PIR type are a deterrent and you can get ones that set off a buzzer inside the house .

Bestwishes, m