Notices

I may have done permanent damage

Old 04-01-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I may have done permanent damage

that's it in the title. Its been a few weeks now, but the shaking continues, panic attacks, waking up every few hours.. anxiety. My wife has been supportive, I have been honest with the doctors... another doctors appointment tomorrow, but I may have done myself permanent damage...
Old 04-01-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang in there bud keep the apt & good luck

You have SR's support have you got a sober plan
Old 04-01-2015, 12:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're not doing well. It's good that you are talking to your doctor again tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes Lost, please let us know how you make out.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Lost,

I am sorry to read your post. You should be proud of yourself for seeing your doctor and getting sober instead of beating yourself up. I followed your last thread and it was very hard to read. It could have been my inner voice saying discouraging thoughts two weeks ago.

We have been there: self-loathing; despair; embarrassment; fear of failure; relentless struggles. Please trust that most everyone here went through the same thought processes and inner grief -- they say it will get better the longer you are sober. It will.

Your body will heal, too.

I am still getting over physical symptoms of withdrawal. My hands are a little shaky and I am insufferably clumsy. My anxiety is lessening, too. It has been only been 2-1/2 weeks.

The one piece of advice that I did not heed at first was to find ways to be grateful. I joined the gratefulness thread here. At first I felt phony, naive and deluded -- like touching velvet while listening to someone scraped their nails against a chalkboard -- very annoying. It now becomes second nature. The best part is that I often think about things I am grateful for during the day and without prompting. It didn't even take that long, either.

It also helped me to see my addiction issues as a symptom of something greater. I have Major Depressive Disorder and ADHD and have been putting my mental health on the back burner. I stopped skipping my meds, started cognitive behavioral therapy and most of all, I went easy on myself. I still have many tough moments throughout the day when my moods change like an Atlantic storm, but the good moments are starting to outweigh the bad. What is the root of your addiction?

I really hope you feel better. It made me really sad reading your posts. I can't imagine how you feel on the inside.

((((( losteverything )))) I dropped in to give you a cyber-hug. I hope you will give yourself a metaphorical hug, too.

Take care and keep posting.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Lost, very sorry to hear that. Are you in any condition to do light exercise?
Old 04-01-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep your head up. It sounds rough, but hopefully the doctors will provide some insight and this will just be a step in the path to recovery. We'll be rooting for you
Old 04-01-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep hydrated - lots of water!

Things will get better, coming off heavy opiates, I was twisted up for almost 2 months. (still a work in progress)
The first month in rehab was hell on earth, then coming home I still couldn't sleep or concentrate, just messed up.

I finally got my sleep back, concentration is SLOWLY coming back. My emotions are still pretty sensitive. 54 year old man who tears up at TV commercials! Crazy.

Patience is difficult to have at first, but things will improve.

I try to find the smallest positive sign of improvement. The one I hope will always be first on my list - I'M ALIVE and CLEAN & SOBER!

You're doing it!!!!!!!

Hang in there!

- D
Old 04-01-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi lost.
I'm also sorry to here about health. Keep the faith. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

From reading thousands of posts on here and many, many of them about health problems and damage, I can say the VAST majority of people who abstain from alcohol completely (and forever) rebound health-wise pretty amazingly. The only catch is that you can't drink anymore. Not even the occasional relapse. The hundreds of "Wow-I-was-dying-but-I'm-way-healthier-now-can't-believe-it" stories I've read are from people who don't drink, ever, and don't relapse. It's an all-or-nothing game.

(This is coming from somebody who damaged my health and is on the rebound with complete abstinence)
Old 04-01-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LE

I suffered some mini strokes in my last detox. It took a long time for me to get over that - but I did.

There's always the chance you've done permanent damage...but trust me the chance of you not doing permanent damage is far greater going on all the people I've met here over the years.

you drank for years right? Be patient - all will be well

D
Old 04-01-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A few weeks is still early recovery. I was in a brain fog for about 3 months. Keep going to the doctor and give it time. It will get better. It just takes awhile for your body and mind to bounce back.

Also keep in mind that many of us have preexisting anxiety disorders and such. If that's the case and you are prescribed meds it takes awhile for them to start working. Best wishes.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by losteverything View Post
that's it in the title. Its been a few weeks now, but the shaking continues, panic attacks, waking up every few hours.. anxiety. My wife has been supportive, I have been honest with the doctors... another doctors appointment tomorrow, but I may have done myself permanent damage...
I wouldn't panic just yet. I went through all that stuff, too. Obviously it's smart that you're going to the doctor to get it straight. But most likely it's just PAWS.

Worst case let's say you did damage yourself. The body has an incredible capacity to heal once we quit trying to poison it. But no matter what your state of health it won't get better by drinking.

Stay the course, losteverything!
Old 04-02-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You are on the road to recovery! It is going to take a little time...
Unfortunately it is rarely a straight road but, fortunately, our bodies and brains are amazing at healing.
I felt the same, I really thought that I had done it this time. So far so good, fingers x.
You are talking with your doctor, he /she will let you know if there is anything to be concerned about.
Take care of yourself and hopefully you will feel better soon.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

thank you all for your very kind responses. You all have been so supportive. I just keep being an idiot, and relapses get worse with each detox.. I think I need to live sober. I just don't know how. the doctor is still trying to find out what is wrong. we are adjusting my medications, that could be it, or it could be neurological damage, or just anxiety with panic attacks. either way, I know alcohol wont be any good for me. happy easter all..
Old 04-02-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Stay strong Lost, you're not alone.
My anxiety has been a problem. Good days and bad days but the good have started to outweigh the bad.

Agree with what you said, drinking will absolutely not help... Took me a while to learn that but I had to double check, just to be sure!

Hope your doctor is helpful and you find some comfort soon, don't be hard on yourself

NGB
Old 04-02-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi lost, what Melissa said.

Click my name and read my posts and responses you will relate as I went through what you described.

All I can say is that even though it doesnt feel like it at the time it does get better.

Particularly 3 to 4 month mark for me. Learn about PAWS also you will see in my posts. Try to relax, meditate, listen to chill music. You are healing, it will pass before you know it :-) I guarantee. Ps my liver was back to normal in 4 months of abstinence and I had damage. Was drinking 12 full beers a night plus for 6 to 10 years
Old 04-02-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hopefully, the Dr. gave you some encouragement today.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

12 years ago i quit drinking for 2 years and kept depressed along the two years. so i got back to this monster till i reached the health problems now .i was depressed before i started drinking career. if u didnt heal early wait ull heal even after year or a two but at least you will be better without the monster . believe me you ll feel the ups and downs when healing . and we may handle this like any disease ,
Old 04-02-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

some people have diseases that take them to live on meds , hope and will power to beat it
people after surgeries start dealing with their bodies as they should . because they know they wont live if they missed with the treatment .

i see things like this for addiction ,its calm fighting .