Notices

two nights away work trip. scared

Old 04-01-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

two nights away work trip. scared

I'm happy I made it 5 days. Now I have to be alone in a hotel 2 nights in a row. I feel like it's too early for this. Hotels on work trips were always my biggest drunks. Does anyone have any issues with this? Or any pointers about things to help cope and stay sober when away. These first 5 days were made easier by being with my supportive wife. Now I have an opportunity to drink and not let her know. I'm worried about this trip.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

At times such as this, it's really good to be in a program like AA that has meetings almost everywhere.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Determination. Remember why you are doing this. Stay on SR as much as possible. Find an AA meeting. Tell the people you are with that you cannot drink. If you are not comfortable w/them knowing tell them you are taking meds it would interact with.

I am going out of town in a couple of weeks. I am not going to drink for different reasons, as I don't have a drinking problem. However, there will be lots of people there that will expect me to. Some I will tell my true reason (don't want the calories, I am rigidly trying to lose this weight), some I will tell the med story to.

XXX. YOU CAN DO THIS.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by soberforbaby View Post
Now I have an opportunity to drink and not let her know. I'm worried about this trip.
I imagine it worries your wife too. Don't let her down. Hopeful4 mentioned determination. I would add integrity. It takes a lot of integrity to stay sober, to not let your sneaky addiction undermine your decision to get sober and the trust other people have put on you.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. everyone. that helps. I have a vision of the person I want to be and am becoming and it inspires me. My problem isn't turning down drinks with colleagues. I used to say "I'm on a fitness kick. No alcohol. No junk food ...."
That was last year during my failed attempt at sobriety. I'd say that and then go back to my room and drink a 12 pack before bed. I plan to log in to this board from my room. Read a good book (something I cant do when drinking) and treat myself to a good supper. Integrity is a good word. I'm asking my wife to call me like I'm a child away from home a few times too. If I can do this first trip away I think it will get easier.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, road trips were always my downfall. I understand completely about not being accountable for your consumption while away . The down time at night was always my trigger. The last time I was away, I found things to do around the hotel ie. gym,pool or just sitting in the lobby people watching. The busier I stayed, the less my AV was in charge. Also eating a large dinner seemed to lessen the urge to have a "few". You can do it, just stay busy and full. Best Wishes
Old 04-01-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If there is a mini fridge have the hotel have them empty it. You can go to AA even if you are not a member and kill some time. Lock yourself in your room if you have too. Whatever it takes. Best wishes.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you got a sober plan ?
Old 04-01-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I did a business trip (5 days) during my first month of sobriety - I used it to check out the local AA meetings because I was afraid to attend one where I live.

Was a great experience, even though I don't belong to AA and have never attended a meeting locally.

I also spent a lot of time on SR posting support and asking for support. Are you a member of a class thread? I would read my thread constantly and take notes on people's posts so I could write a post in which I responded to everyone by name. It helped me get to know the individual members of my class better.

I spent a lot of time online educating myself about alcoholism and recovery (from credible sources) and reading about others' experiences with recovery. Took notes on strategies that I wanted to try.

Finally, I kept a gratitude journal (I actually only did this during my trip) and/or you could post on one of the gratitude threads here. I try to post on the bedtime gratitude to end my day on a positive note. Even if I am in a funk, reading others' posts always improves my mood.

You can do this and your wife will be so proud - call her each bedtime sober to wish her goodnight.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Take some sober reading material. Make sure the mini bar is emptied or locked before your arrival. It's not an unusual request.

You might check ahead for an AA meeting locally if you're using AA. it can be fun to see how they do it in different cities. If you call the general office, you might be able to arrange a ride and maybe a coffee & pie date.

And SR is always here. If your room doesn't have Internet, scoot down to the coffee shop

We"ll leave the light on...

Love from Lenina
Old 04-01-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Trips are tough. I agree with everything said already, make a plan, keep busy, maybe check out a meeting. I would probably do what you said, treat myself to a good dinner (maybe at place that doesn't serve alcohol, just to be safe) and then I'd go read or just go to be ridiculously early. Then get up and take advantage of the gym or go for an early walk or run. But a plan is so necessary, just having a list of things to do that aren't drinking, especially if this is one of your old habits.

Best of luck! I'm sure you can do this and you'll be so happy and proud of yourself for sticking it out
Old 04-01-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Reading is a great idea. I am on day 1, IF I can make it through the day today without wine.
I used to read all the time, but like you, I can't read when I am drinking. Good luck to you.
You can do this!
Old 04-01-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You can do this! Business trips were always my time to get drunk as well; not that I laid off getting drunk at home either!

I've been on several since getting sober. They are tough at first but you can make it happen. You'll feel such a sense of accomplishment and self achievement once you make it through. You'll feel so much better than the others in the mornings too.

My first trip I simply told the group I wasn't drinking that night when someone asked. I didn't elaborate and they didn't care, they just kept on drinking and drinking.

When we were out at the bars / restaurants I also made it a point to corner our waitress and let her know to keep bringing my diet coke when my glass was empty. That reduced the necessity for anyone in our group to ask if i needed another drink or what I was drinking.

I think you'll find that the other's don't really care what you are drinking.

Stay strong, you'll be glad you did!

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 days by the way!!