Notices

Antabuse Questions

Old 04-02-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have found Antabuse to be effective for me when I take it the right way. I tried drinking on it once and got very violently ill. Would never, ever do that again. I never had any reactions to food products or perfume. The worst side affect I got was sleeping a lot more on the initial higher dose I was on. Not giving any kind of medical advice and everyone reacts differently, but it does take the option of drinking absolutely off the table.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm taking Antabuse now and have had very positive results. 11 days sober and it's only bc of antibuse. My doctor didn't mention anything about food reactions, but did mention mouth wash and hand sanitizer. It prevents the second enzyme that breaks down alcohol in your system to do it's job, thus giving you reactions 4-5x worse than if you weren't taking it. My doctor told me I have to have liver function checked in two weeks. It's an awesome place to start and I hope to keep a prescription around during times of temptation. It also causes you to reallllyyy have to think about it if you want to have a drink. You'd have to plan to make sure you wouldn't have a negative reaction. Just my experience/opinion. Good luck to you!!
Old 04-02-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I took my first pill just now. I only took half a pill just to see what side effects I have. Tomorrow I'll take the full dose. I take this very seriously and I know I absolutely cannot drink on this. I have two young kids and want sobriety more than anything.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

To my knowledge, the food reactions are due to alcohol contained in some foods. Antabuse blocks an enzyme involved in alcohol (ethanol) metabolism. The blockage of that enzyme cause an accumulation of alcohol byproducts that will make you very sick if you consume alcohol.

Read food labels, and stay away from desserts unless you're certain that they do not contain alcohol. Many, such as rum raison cake, tiramisu, some ice creams, and tres leches, contain enough alcohol to make sick anyone taking antabuse.

The vinegar your doctor was referring to is white wine and red wine vinegar. Both of these vinegars are ingredients in certain other foods, like Grey Poupon mustard, for example. Many other vinegars contain trace amounts of alcohol.

Drinking liquor on antabuse will require hospitalization. Incidental, low dosage alcohol ingestion while taking antabuse will likely make you feel flushed and nauseous.

Be careful and know what you're eating.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm on day 63 or 64 and taking antabuse nearly every day. Is helping me!
Old 04-02-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
a bit out there

I'm surprised no one mentioned avoidance of shop chemicals and other products which contain ethanol. Even hand sanitizer can cause a reaction to disulfiram (antabuse). Some individuals react to perfumes, colognes, and anything with ethanol. Perhaps that's when it works too well?
Old 04-02-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have tried to buy alcohol free medicines, mouthwash, etc for my son who has been on antabuse for almost three months. Someone mentioned that they should carry a wallet card but I have not heard that from his doctor.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It says on the bottle to wear a medicine id bracelet stating that you're taking this medication. I plan on ordering one when we are home from vacation.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I took it before and was overly careful what I ate. I accidentally started eating a chocolate and it had rum in it. I spit it out immediately and didn't have any reaction. I used mouthwash with alcohol and was fine because I didn't drink it. This was my experience. Everyone is different. I also took a swab of rubbing alcohol and dabbed a small spot on my wrist to see how sensitive I was to it. No reaction. As lono as I didn't consume alcohol I was fine. I ate ketchup and all kinds of stuff with regular vinegar. Just nothing cooked in alcohol Or a wine vinegar. I called my pharmacy when I took it to be sure. Do not drink on that stuff