Notices

Day 3 and being 100% honest

Old 04-01-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 and being 100% honest

Hello all!

Just wanted to say I'm on Day 3 of sobriety, and it feels great! Hubby said he would not drink with me as well this week, but last night wanted some vodka and asked me if that was alright. I said no worries, and was honestly surprised that him drinking didn't make me want to at all, which is nice.

My "plan" last night was to take my dog to the dog park if I felt like I wanted a drink. I was GOING to go grocery shopping but decided against it. Mondays and Tuesdays are days that are easy for me to drink, as we do not have my stepdaughter on those nights, so I decided that maybe it'd just be easier for me to pass by the wine aisle if I don't put myself in the position. Thankfully, the urge didn't really happen so I didnt feel the need to remove myself from the house. I just took my dog for a long walk, cleaned, cooked dinner, and watched some Supernatural on Netflix =).

Being completely honest, and I know what all of you will say, but I really at this point am having a hard time accepting that I may never have another drink again. The goal for now is just to make it through this week and weekend. But at this point, I can honestly say I don't know why the hell I was drinking during the week before. It usually wound up being every other night, realistically, and now that I've had two full nights of not drinking my head is totally clear and I feel really great. I had a meeting with a client at 8 am this morning, and it went awesome! I feel better, and have every intention of signing up at the gym today...time permitting! I may have to stay late at work tonight (partially my fault since i've been reading on this site during the day this week, whoops), but it's not really a big deal as I don't need to rush home to have a glass of wine. Just rush home to see my husband, stepdaughter, and dog.

So, my trigger on nights that we have my stepdaughter are right after we put her to bed. The house is so hectic between trying to get dinner, homework, play time, straightening up, bath time, and XYZ done in two hours that by the time that she lays down and goes to sleep, I feel like a glass of wine helps me relax.

so the plan today is to avoid the patio for the first hour after she goes to sleep (as that is usually where I will sit and have a glass of wine). Immediately after she goes to sleep, I plan on hopping right in the shower and staying in my bedroom/bathroom until hair's dry, ant-aging crap is applied, etc. etc.

Of course tomorrow my heavy drinking mother comes and stays with me for the evening so hopefully I can make it through tomorrow. But for now, I suppose I'll just worry about today.

That's all, thanks for listening (reading) =)
Old 04-01-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's interesting how many things people have in common.
My wife and I went back and forth for a long time, I wouldn't drink to support her, the visa-versa. Or she'd drink and I wouldn't, or she'd try to stop and I didn't really want to. <sigh> Years went by doing that. We both went for an entire year without drinking, then started again - why? Addicts in denial. (mental note: "addicts in denial" - good name for a dysfunctional rock band!) We've also got a heavy-drinking mother-in-law. (wow another good one) That my wife had to sit down and explain - we don't drink any longer.

You sound like your putting good energy into your sobriety - awesome!

It's encouraging to hear. Thanks for posting.

- D
Old 04-01-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 3
Old 04-01-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Believe me a lot of us found it hard to conceive of life without booze.

Give sobriety a real chance - 3 months or so. That's not much to ask.

you may find like I did that your feelings about many things change

D