Notices

Hop to it! Weekender Thread April 1 until....

Old 04-02-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Early morning here......

Still in bed, the garbage trucks come around early, like 5.45.

How many times have I lain here listening to the cascade of glass and cans that was the week's empties crash into the back of the truck?

Not so bad this week. And next week will be really quiet....
Old 04-02-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
We had to take polygraphs on the regular. One of the questions was had we done illegal drugs or possessed illegal drugs on the premises.

When I say, "cool off" I am being literal.
Polygraphs? We had a polygraph with two legs and a cynical disposition. The owner just assumed that we were drinking, doing drugs and otherwise stealing from him, so he regularly fired people at random and let it be known what the reason was so as to scare the rest of us straight.

Many of us were struggling actors at the time, and I got fired because I came in late for my shift following an audition in which I got the part. My first audition. The play was called "In the Land of the Round Eyed Girls," which referred to the Vietnam War. The play was to be picked up for Broadway, but too many things got in the way of that happening.

I played the part of a grad student in philosophy who was trying to help his best friend, a Vietnam Vet, who was struggling with suicide. (What are the odds?) Although all this sounds very serious, there was a riotous bar scene that left me hysterical each time it was done in rehearsals and during performances.

I drank and smoked weed more than I ever had during the run of the show. I got sober for the first time about two months after the show closed.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Early morning here......

Still in bed, the garbage trucks come around early, like 5.45.

How many times have I lain here listening to the cascade of glass and cans that was the week's empties crash into the back of the truck?

Not so bad this week. And next week will be really quiet....
I can so relate to this Canguy!!!
Old 04-02-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Weasel, ever thought about a little herb garden up on your 3rd floor window? Rosemary's pretty hearty. Cilantro, basil, and oregano are also pretty easy to grow if you've got some sun. It's great for cooking and the bonus is that every fresh breeze is accompanied by a fantastic fragrant smell.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
saoutchik

JT I remember going to my eldest daughters Nativity Play in '94 or '95 and they had Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in that. I'm hopeless about what happens in the Bible but I'm sure there were no Ninja Turtles.

Can't wait to read your book Ruby - you could replace Judge Judy
Old 04-02-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

From Opening Night, I was a Waiter at this 'Gay '90s' Ice Cream Parlor. Happening Joint back in High School. Lines around the Building some nights. Good Tips, and lotsa cute Goils to meet.

I remember one or two older Guys - some already back from 'Nam - who would go out and huff one on Break. Meanwhile, we burned through Cases of these 'Tall Boy' Cans of Whipped Cream, of course. When they'd sputter from being near empty, they got tossed on the Wooden Slat Floor behind the Ice Cream Counter, or set aside. We'd take a Can 'wherever', and exhale deeply. Then, hit the Can Dispenser Tube and inhale a massive hit of Propellant Gas. It wasn't Helium back then, but you'd have the Helium Voice, a la Mickey Mouse. Impress the Goils in your Waiter's Section.

When you'd completely exhale this Gas, and then take a deep breath, you'd be instantly really eff'ed for a moment. On a jammin' Weekend Night, it's how you'd get through a Shift. Clean up would go into the wee hours. The Married Manager was bonking this tall Blonde Cashier back in the secured Office where the Cash was being counted at night. So, that kept him out of our Hair to raise havoc. Her Career thrived.

Whipped Cream Gas. My 'Gateway' Drug...
-
Old 04-02-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Weasel, ever thought about a little herb garden up on your 3rd floor window? Rosemary's pretty hearty. Cilantro, basil, and oregano are also pretty easy to grow if you've got some sun. It's great for cooking and the bonus is that every fresh breeze is accompanied by a fantastic fragrant smell.
I have considered it. I think maybe later in the season I might. I did get 4 nice ivy plants. I love ivy. I can plant tomorrow.

Really wish I had the space you do. Mine balcony is tiny.

I even love the smells of going looking for the plants. The greenhouses are fun to poke around in.

Thanks for the ideas!!
Old 04-02-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Thanks Canguy for that video! I love the hair on the guys. Sweet.

Saoutchik, I would never make a good Judge Judy. I'd have everyone locked up in a split second for nonsense. Although, the judge in our courtroom tends to do that too.

The cascade of empty bottles. I still cringe even now when I toss bottles into the recycle bin. Mostly pickle jars nowadays. Son has a pickle fetish. Some pasta sauce. NO BOOZE. Yay. Leaving for train. See you all later!
Old 04-02-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Here is my balcony last years version. Not sure what I will do differently this year.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey y'all ,
got my job oop north as they say . flat cap and whippet dog are also options so i understand

Big changes for my nearest and dearest and myself but i have faith that things will be ok .

This new job should give me more time at the beach and a healthier lifestyle , being only 10 mins or less in the car to commute from my new front door , or under 30mins on foot taking short cuts along the beach
I'm no use to anyone if i have a heart attack or have other health issues bought about by poor lifestyle choices .

keep on y'all , m
Old 04-02-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Yeah, the crashing cascade of empties. To avoid it I'd go traipsing around nearby local parks after dark filling the trash bins with them.

Boozing really is hard work......
Old 04-02-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Mechanix,

There are beaches 'oop north'?

With sand and everything?
Old 04-02-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Congratulations Mec! That's great news. It will be a change but walking to work along the beach sounds great.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Apparently so canguy ,

I did walk for half an hour straight out on Blackpool's golden mile at low tide , i think i'd walked about a mile and i still couldn't see the sea … just damp patches of sand ..

maybe it's a joke on southerners and its some kind of damp desert .. i shall have to study this phenomena and write it up in my log …

Bestwishes, m
Old 04-02-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Congrats on the new job, opportunity, and adventure mex! Sounds like a great plan and I'm sure you're excited. Very cool news, great to hear it~!
Old 04-02-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations Mec, is it something you enjoy? Sounds like it rather than being just a job.

I liked having a fellow Londoner on the thread and being responsible for starting it

Hopefully you can bring the benefits of green tea to the missbegotten north (missbegotten in green tea terms)
Old 04-02-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Well done Mex!!!!!! Very exciting. I found the people very friendly there. Nice to be near the sea.

Nice balcony K!

B
Old 04-02-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Thursday night... Sober and relaxing.

Congrats M!!! Looking forward to seeing the new digs and seeing you and mex-m8 get settled into a new way of life. I could not be more happy for you!

Night... See you all in the morning!
Old 04-02-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Court jester

Picking up Bmac Jr. in about an hour. Looking forward to a long weekend with my son!
Old 04-02-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Weasel, nice balcony and view!

Mecanix, congrats and best wishes for the move and the new job!

Tired as a tired bean after work. No gym, just fed the cat and had a decent dinner, some SR time and now I think I might go to bed for the night, although I was hoping to have some strong iced tea and read a book -- but that can wait. I have done all that's needed and I lack nothing now, except sleep.

To everyone's health, and good night!