Notices

Hop to it! Weekender Thread April 1 until....

Old 04-01-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Evening everyone

Thanks for starting a day early Weeze

Great to hear from you 2Wheel. Congratulations on the new job

Ruby your smarter than me - I'm English and I hadn't worked out TS's Avatar.

Had an "ironic" visit to the dentist today for a temporary filling. I say ironic because some of the old one came out whilst flossing.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

okay we can relax now, it seems someone already pulled the files and put them in a folder 1099B is there. good news is I took a 12K loss last year - had to do it to get out of debt. Bad news is only 3K can be written off this year. Other bad news is even with loss, income was enough to cancel out medical deduction - I think. My man will figure it out

I was getting that drinking feeling as I was searching for the papers... also that urge to go buy tobacco. This will be the most complicated tax return ever for me. As long as I break even - that's the goal.

In all my years I never really had to be a responsible adult. Or it seemed that way because I could not care less about a lot of things. As long as I had my drink and my buzz going nothing else really mattered to me. I'm not kidding.

So as I said before, when I checked out a long time ago I let of lot of things just slip by. I'm just now checking back into reality as they say.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hopping on. Late as usual, even though I live in the future. I'm wet and windswept, tis a soft day.

Greeting fellow soberenders: I hope everyone is well. It's wonderful catching up with some familiar and new passengers.

B
Old 04-01-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi weekenders

So, listen...I am so bothered by something and there is nothing I can do about it. There is a little french language below, sorry in advance.

I was in the walk-in clinic with my son (skin issue nothing serious) and we are filling out forms and waiting. The couple next to us is doing the same. So, when they get to the gender section of the forms, apparently they think it's f*cking hilarious that "transgender" is an option. Man says (loudly) "Oh, it's asking if I'm a Shim...hahaha what? Do the Shims have their own waiting room?!" Then they go on and other with other back-woods assinine talk...cracking up a second time about the "Hispanic" option as if there's something wildly funny about that. I'm telling you, my blood was boiling. I really don't like stupid people...like at all. And contrary to what some may believe, I'm don't frequently opt for violence, but those two almost got their greasy, twinkie-eating, foul-mouthed faces punched in. I did not want to set a poor example for my son though, so...yeah, no hitting. Plus I'm a teacher and I'm pretty sure the school board frowns on that kind of thing.

So anyway...can someone tell me when the eff it became hilarious to be transgender or to be any other ethnicity than white?! It's 2015. Am I just that naive, or do intelligent people really and truly hold views like this?!

ok...my rant is over. Thanks for letting me get it out. The weather is beautiful here and I'm enjoying my Spring Break beyond words. I hope everyone is well. xo
Old 04-01-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Do your best

Made a awesome chicken pasta bake whats everyone having for dinner
Old 04-01-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi soberlicious. That's a shame you had to sit and listen and even worse that you were sitting by twinkie eating ignoramuses. People laugh because they are uncomfortable or because they are mean or because they are hateful or don't know any better or because they were taught to be that way. Glad you didn't sock them.

I wanted to take the train downtown but can't. Rats.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

My dear soberlicious ,
i must admit to preferring to hear of someones biases rather than not know and get treated oddly and not know why .
It still isn't pretty whichever way you look at it , seems to me there is good and bad everywhere .
I'm sure you mentioned to your son that people who are different are just as likely to be good or bad as much as anyone else ..

Bestwishes, m
Old 04-01-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I am sorry you and your son were exposed to that sadly there are actually people living and reproducing that think that way.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Saoutchik sorry to hear about the lost filling, glad its fixed.

Soberwolf I'm making lemon pepper chicken kebobs on the grill.

Soberlicious sounds like you were sitting near the bottom of the gene pool, but hey what did twinkies ever do wrong. There delicious
Old 04-01-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I have a big weekend ahead. Myself and Mrs B are going on a road trip to visit our families.

First to mine. Should be ok: they know I am sober now and are quietly supportive. Funny, no one has challenged my sobriety as I expected...funny that.

Then we will drive across the island to Mrs B family. It's her father's 70th birthday. Last time I was with them all, I was extremely intoxicated. I have not drank since. I have many trepidations about this visit. I have no concerns about drinking. It just will not happen. I have such shame and regret. I fear questions. Actually I don't know what I fear.

So I will be standing on the bus if I may, ringing the bell, perhaps even pulling the emergency cord, this long weekend ahead.

My best wishes,

B
Old 04-01-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

soberlicious - Hostess Twinkies went out of business no? Damn.. if this dude has a hoard maybe we should....Na... he nor Twinkies are worth any more energy. Love you!

Behan... we have nothing to fear.... but fear itself! Know that just out of the corner of your eye... when you think you see someone... you do... you see your sober bus mates. we will lurk... be vewy vewy quiet... but we will be with you. So... nothing to fear but fear itself. You are a strong man.

Since my knee is healing I am craving exercise... until then... I had an Arby's Max Roast Beef... with Arby's sauce! Yessss!
Old 04-01-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sounds exellent 2Wheelterror
Old 04-01-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by mecanix
My dear soberlicious ,
i must admit to preferring to hear of someones biases rather than not know and get treated oddly and not know why .
It still isn't pretty whichever way you look at it , seems to me there is good and bad everywhere .
I'm sure you mentioned to your son that people who are different are just as likely to be good or bad as much as anyone else ..
lol...I never mind hearing people's biases. We all have them, as much as we'd like not to. but here's the thing...hate language is never ok. I taught my son that the word "Shim" is designed to hurt, belittle, and degrade. That's sh*tty and I've taught my son not to be a sh*tty person, so...we don't talk about other human beings as if they are subhuman. And people who do that are wrong. No two ways.

lol...and my sincerest apologies for bringing twinkies into it. They are not inherently bad, nor are people who eat them. They just got caught n the crossfire.

I will say the charming couple in the waiting room made some extremely unfortunate fashion choices. If you are going to wear a "Property of the Athletic Department" t-shirt, it might be best not to have it stretched over a very non-athletic body. I am not usually critical of others, but when you open up your mouth with hate and prejudice for others, you also open up yourself to judgement.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I really don't like stupid people...like at all.
God, or whatever you believe in, put stupid people on the planet in order to make the rest of us look smart.

It could have been worse. You could have been them.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Soberlicious,

That is the kind of thing that has me stewing for days. I take it personally when I hear ignorance or blatant or latent discriminatory conversations. I do a very lame thing and get get offended about incorrect grammar or mechanics: further/farther; there, their and they're, et cetera. I am trying to let it go because 'it doesn't matter, silly'. The next time I am there, in that place of judgmental-ism, I will try to remember that their intelligence would barely rival a procaryote's; they're trying their best. (Sorry, I had to do that).

Brain, our taxes were just prepared. We owe over 8K this year. Boo. I am self-employed. We get scores of 1099 forms every year. We had many years where we took a loss, but could only deduct the 3K, too. Last year was the first year we set up a separate tax account throughout the year, so it is okay. I just got put on payroll last week, too. It was a nice way to celebrate my sobriety. Tax season! Yay?

I am jumping on the bus. Let's get rolling. I am hoping Jeff (Thomas) will join us for a sober weekend.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hello! This seems like a good place to start. I might just lurk and browse for a while but I have enjoyed reading these threads recently. Lots of good info and reinforcement at SR.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

welcome to SR Solarion , glad to have you along ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 04-01-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Soberlicious, I'm glad your didn't get physical for your sake. I'd have felt the same as you.

I had a similar experience myself which I posted in my "class of Jan '15" thread. I was in the supermarket and heard a guy verbally belittling and abusing his wife. As we passes each other I said something sarcastic to him and he became all smiles and his demeanor was like he had been joking (he hadn't). Ten minutes later I saw him leaving and he was all scowls again.

I'm no saint, I've said stuff to my ex wife during arguments that I regret but this guy just showed such contempt and was so slimey about it when (obliquely) confronted

Some people definitely sucks

On a lighter note I mention Boris the cat on last weekend's post ( big Boris). Well everyone in our flats got a memo asking us not to feed him - poor old B is on a diet and needs to lose half a kilo. Me and B are soul buddies
Old 04-01-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hopping on the bus! Love it.

Solarion, welcome to this Weekend hangout. Just wait until everyone starts discussing plants, growing things and gardening. It is a veritable greenhouse all weekend.

Speaking of, does anyone have any pointers for finding and then growing heirloom tomatoes? Lettuces? Just thinking about this as the sun is shining and this year will be the first year I attempt to grow anything.

yeeeep!

Old 04-01-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Well judging someone on their grammar and judging them on their open use of hate language is two quite different things. I am glad I did not punch them, but honestly I'm not proud that I didn't say something in the matter of fact manner that I am certainly capable of. When we sit quietly by and let this go on, we are a part of it too. Just how I feel.

and I recant my previous statement. I do not hate stupid people per se, I hate mean stupid people. I am quite stupid about some things...but I do not demean a person's core being. I mean Hispanic is funny?! Transgender is funny?! Actually what's really funny is that Mr. Hatemouth was very trendy wearing such an ironic t-shirt, even more ironic was the fact that he was completely unaware of the irony.

Anyway...not stewing, I'm just not used to such open displays, thankfully.

Just put in 2 beautiful batches of chocolate chip banana bread. House is going to smell amazing soon. I won't eat it lol but I love baking for others!

Welcome, solarian!!. Quitting drinking is one of the best things I ever did!!! Glad you're here