Notices

Hop to it! Weekender Thread April 1 until....

Old 04-05-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  
Do your best

Wishing everyone a nice start to the week tomorrow

Thank you for this weekly thread Weasel your awesome
Old 04-05-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Ended up watching "Interstellar". Thought I would just watch an hour or so after brunch while digesting, before I went out. Turned out to be pretty engaging, well-written and moves along at a good pace. So I stayed in this afternoon and watched the rest. Some parts were a little too contrived but overall it was a good movie.

The downside is that I spent the day indoors and was stirred up by the movie. So now it's twilight and I'm blue. I did get out to take the movie back and see the sun, and to get coffee filters. Maybe a cuppa joe'll do me good.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Court jester

Originally Posted by Solarion View Post

The downside is that I spent the day indoors
Let me fix this for you, "The upside is that I spent the day indoors sober!"

Old 04-05-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Thank you, Bmac! You are right.

The upside is that I did not spend most of the day in bed with a hangover, or spend the day poisoning myself for entertainment.

Good job!
Old 04-05-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Tomorrow I am going to my cousin's wedding and I am getting nervous about it. Not because of drinking. Truthfully I haven't given much thought to drinking over the past while. It seems like a small part of my much bigger life if you know what I mean. I have a job now and it is a big and colourful life out there. I am nervous because I am shy and no good at small talk, although I am getting better then I used to be...oh I don't know. Standing around talking to strangers is not my idea of a good time. Maybe I should just try to get some sleep. I'll feel better in the morning. I am here with my usual cup of herbal tea.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

.....dark chocolate. Reading in this morning's newspaper that a chocolate capsule is being developed. Apparently what is in really dark choc keeps blood vessels elastic and flexible, which reduces the risk of heart disease and alzheimer's.

But. And there's always a catch.....you have to eat the 85% + cacao stuff. (I usually eat the 70%) Most people find it too bitter. Hence the capsule form.

And apparently some places in Europe high cacao choc makers can now legally advertise the medicinal qualities of dark choc.

So....have to step up to the 85%. Tho I eat pure cacao offa the spoon too.....swappin' one addiction for another....
Old 04-05-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Small talk isn't my favorite thing either Tetra,.....especially now that I'm sober. For me it's easier if I ask a few questions about their life and get them talking about themselves. I'm getting better at it and now sometimes try to get out of my comfort zone a bit. I'll always be somewhat of an introvert but it never hurts to stretch my wings a bit.

I hope you have fun after all.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Have fun Tetra! FAD is right most people like to talk about themselves...just ask a few questions and they will be off and running!
Old 04-05-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Canguy Giardelli makes a really good 85% with almonds.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Tetra

Small talk.

Apparently the British Royal Family are all taught to make small talk by asking people questions about themselves. Imagine the amount of practice they must get....
Old 04-05-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Hey Weasel.....on the recommendation of a friend I went to Walgreens and got a knee brace....it fee so good on my sore knee!! The support really makes it feel better. I plan to wear it everyday.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Small talk, I'm awkward with it to. If it's someone you don't know you can always ask if they know the bride or groom. People do like talking about themselves. Just think they might be feeling as awkward. Just imagine you're serving that cake

Home now. Daughter crying because. Because she's six and tired. Because she can. Doesn't want to go to child minders tomorrow. That can't be remedied at 8:30 p.m. on Easter Sunday. Sigh.

Didn't get anything done around the house. Trying to not feel guilty. I have so much laundry to fold. Find something to wear. I took a two hour nap when I got home. Didn't intend to sleep at all.

Time to get kids in bed. Then find an outfit and then sleep myself.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Canguy, glad you had a good sleep. Now this talk if chocolate is making me want some. I love dark chocolate.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Bobby,

Congratulations on your party success! It is eye-opening to see what you notice about your friends when you are sober. I used to think everyone drank a lot. Most people don't drink very much at all.

I should have said that my chocolate lab is on or off - never in-between. She has a great disposition, so I don't mind it so much when she is hyper.

Tetra, I can commiserate. I abhor small talk with strangers, alcohol was always my way of coping in those types of social situations.

Going to try to photograph Jupiter tonight. I have been drinking so much that I forgot about the new telescope and astro camera. If I can only figure out how it works...
Old 04-05-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Tired as usual here on a Sunday night. My weekends have become so active - it's nice to be out and about. The weather is certainly helpful, there are so few days where staying inside is a better option than getting out. Saw some unique sights and spent the weekend roaming the cobblestone streets and admiring the great views from many angles. Nothing fancy. Just got the job done and had some fun doing it.

No matter what you did this weekend, as long as you did it sober you are a winner! Watching a movie or sporting event, doing laundry, or just running errands are big accomplishments when done without alcohol. For those that managed family get-togethers and weddings, hat's off to you. We gather here to accumulate sober weekends, one by one. So great to hear about all of your weekends as always. Have a great Monday morning folks!
Old 04-05-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Pouncer. ..you are right about your observation that most people don't drink a lot. I used to think everyone drank a lot too.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

I was the one who drank a lot and looked at others thinking "they should be drinking. Why aren't they drinking." Now I know better. And for that, I'm glad.

BigS, thank you for sharing your weekend pics with us. What a great experience. Weather here is very nice. Too nice to be inside for the most.

But, now it's bedtime for me. A little later than I wanted but I did have that earlier nap. Onwards to the week. On Wisconsin!
Old 04-05-2015, 09:23 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Yes Ruby. ..onwards to the week. Let's make it a good one!
Good night everyone.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  
pray for strength

happyandfree - Good night to you! A funny observation is that seeing your post on the Weekender thread lately is the signal that I must go to sleep as well.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your lives, stories, pictures, laughs over this weekend. We did it sober. And if you are reading this but did not have a weekend without your DOC then consider hanging sober for the next weekend with the support of everyone here. It works.

Bonne semaine!

Old 04-06-2015, 01:05 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good morning from London , public holiday here. It's looking like another corker

As of today it is no longer legal to display cigarettes or tobacco products in any retail outlet (they have been banned from supermarkets since 2012). I think it's a good thing. No wish to be mean to smokers but if it makes it seem less socially acceptable then maybe fewer people will take it

OK my opionated bit is over. Scrambled eggs here we come