Notices

Hop to it! Weekender Thread April 1 until....

Old 04-03-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Morning all

A real early morning too.....can't sleep. Sinus all blocked can't breath, so can't sleep. Getting thru the days on 4, 5 hours. Is this an alcohol thing,.... anyone?

Anyway. Day 4 dawning.....

All good to you all for the day....
Old 04-03-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sorry Ruby it wasn't meant to sound like a correction I just didn't want you to draw a blank if you Googled it. I must plead ignorance as I don't know why it's called that myself.

Where I live is called Shoreditch it was named after the sewer that drained the City of London. Romantic.

When I moved here in 1983 it was the second poorest part of London and I lived in the attic flat of a Victorian terraced house. It was still a poor area when my (now ex) wife and I bought a terraced house in 1987. It started to gentrification in the mid 90's and was at it's best in the late 90's during the 1st dot com boom. Now it's all dowagers and City types.

Through no ability or talent my little flat is worth a lot more than I paid for it and has probably earned more than I have but it's not half as much fun living here as it was.

It rained this afternoon which forced me to do chores boo!

I hope your friend Tommy is OK Weasel

Pouncer, Trachemys
Old 04-03-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Dunno about the sinuses Canguy but lack of sleep definitely - it did improve slowly for me
Old 04-03-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

HAve a peaceful night PK and canguy. CG, I had trouble sleeping in the beginning. Very fitful. It gets better, truly. On to day 4!

Hi Dave, glad to see you.

Saoutchik, that's a great thing for you. Regentrification. It does creep in there. Best to get in on the ground floor.

Waiting to get off work. Ready and anxious.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lovesunrises View Post
Good morning everyone! I'm flying out of town today to spend Easter with family. In my drinking days, I always got to the airport early before a flight so I could hit the airport bar first. So, needless to say, airport bars have been a trigger for me. And when I flew a couple of months ago, the couple sitting next to me drank the entire flight. Hoping that doesn't happen today! Hope everyone has a nice weekend!
Hi Sunrises,

I was also a big drinker at airport bars and would often (always) continue upon getting on the flight, as long as we were in the air an hour or longer. I hope you don't sit next to drinkers too! That's certainly no fun. As for the airport bars, I simply walk by them and pretend they don't exist. Plenty of lunch counters, food courts, newsstands to occupy my time. Bring a book or a tablet/smartphone and you'll be in good shape. Enjoy the time with the family!
Old 04-03-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Google's great: quote:

"Eliminate alcohol consumption - It is amazing how even casual consumption of alcohol can cause nasal and sinus membranes to swell, exposing them to irritation and infection. Often beer is the offending drink."

....like the last line too.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Love reading you, guys)
Old 04-03-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  
saoutchik

How's the chicken pox Midnight blue?
Old 04-03-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Saoutchick, thanks for asking. It's better, but still hasn't' recovered yet.

The doc didn't release me today - didn't like the way I looked. And bloodwork showed anemia which doesn't help either.

So, still at home.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Hello All,

I just wanted to let you know that I was extremely touched by all of the kind notes and messages you all gave me. It makes me feel worse, in a way -- which, I know, that is my problem.

Marathon Man, if you are reading this, I would like to say that it took extraordinary courage to write what you did. I read your thread afterwards and it was heartbreaking. I hope things improve for your sake and your family's. I hope you can join the sober bus.

A couple of days ago I had a bad nightmare where I got text messages that said 'F*** you!' They were from all kinds of people and it was non-stop. I had a nightmare last night that my husband decided he had enough of my aloofness and decided to leave. In my dream, I bought a big bottle of Dutch uber-craft beer. Just one... That was the first time that I had dreamed about falling off the wagon this time around.

I don't think I was in a very good place a couple of days ago. I was pretty hormonal and having a pretty anxiety-filled day. External events at home were stressing me out. I am a little bit embarrassed about my meltdown, but since I have been starting SMART recovery, I am forcing myself to re-frame external events in a new way.

What I am trying to say is that I just realized that acceptance and perceived non-acceptance is a major trigger for me. So, thank you all for caring enough to make me feel welcome and accepted. I am on day 20-ish (don't really know) and I am grateful for the support that got me here.

So, in the vein of being myself and not caring...I will end with a picture of a license plate that was taken at a Starbucks drive-through near my children's school:

Starbucks.jpg

P.S. I caught up on the weekenders thread and wanted to say that the bottle clanking when throwing away recyclables was embarrassing. I used to arrange recycled paper in between so that the bottles would make less noise. Lately my bin has been less than half full. It used to be overflowing.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

I need that plate! Glad you are here.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Della, Lol

Shoes was not what I saw at all...
Old 04-03-2015, 01:12 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Morning all

A real early morning too.....can't sleep. Sinus all blocked can't breath, so can't sleep. Getting thru the days on 4, 5 hours. Is this an alcohol thing,.... anyone?

Anyway. Day 4 dawning.....

All good to you all for the day....
Good morning to you canguy......who knows for sure, but I used to routinely feel the need to use nasal strips to breath better at night. I never use them anymore......was almost exclusively a beer guy too. I'll take any perceived benefits I can get from sobriety!
Old 04-03-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  
pray for strength

HI Pouncer! Great to see you. Horrid nightmares. Hormones, BOOoooo!

Does that say "Love sharts"? What!?

Canguy...I was sweating and I suppose getting rid of a bunch of water for a week? No matter, alcohol appeared to have caused me to retain water pretty much everywhere and I had to re-equilibrate. Also, unfiltered beer used to make my sinuses swell like mad...definitely an offending agent.

Midnight, it sounds as if you are getting good medical care. This is nice to read. Hopefully staying home for another day is a good thing?

Good to see everyone here. Back to hard labor for me. Happy Friday!

Old 04-03-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Verte, it sure says that.

My friend saw sh%rtlover just a few days ago after taking this pic. That BMW is like the Great White Whale, it keeps slipping away. Well, we did get a picture. My husband took it. It is the little things that keep you going sometimes.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope everyone is having a nice sober good friday
Old 04-03-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Tomorrow I will hit 300 days - I dreadfully recall the Saturday night before Easter last year. I will not bore friends with the drunkalog, but the story ends with my 17 year old son smashing a mostly empty tequila bottle in the street outside my house.

My reply to him was - well, I was going to make mom a nice margarita tomorrow and your ruined her surprise. I drank for another 65 days...........

We sometimes say play the tape if we feel like drinking. I fast forward to this.

I am so grateful to be here, sober. Haven't been on the bus ride before........Any room left for this old drunk?????

Happy Easter friends~!
Old 04-03-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Welcome, Flyn
Old 04-03-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

I am on and belted in for the ride!
Old 04-03-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

congrats on reaching #300 Fly

Della, did you run out to wally-world for that bike? And I agree, you don't want that license plate. A local radio morning show does sh%rt outs. Rather than 'shout outs'. You can email or whatever your request to have a sh%artout to someone. Then they play the "noise". Think disgusting.

welcome to day 4 canguy - I stopped by the creek to say hello to some folks from the city that come up and camp out the night before. They got a fire going in a kettle and are all set up. Beers are going.
Usually it's the hops that people are allergic to. I had a terrible hops allergy but it never stopped me. I used to grow hops - imagine - and I would break out if it rubbed against my skin.

Hope you are feeling better midnight blue. Remember to stay close if you need support.

I gotta say, I used to moan about the price of flying. But that never stopped me from dropping another 25 or 30 at the airport bar. Long layovers got expensive. Another hundy to the price of flying.

Well done on day 20ish pouncer. Hang in there.

Last edited by LBrain; 04-03-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: airports