Notices

We are Opening a Brewery

Old 04-01-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
It's okay...It is your point of view. No worries.

My intent was really to parody the AV. We have all been there and/or have seen it in action. "I have a month; I can start moderating again"...or "I am secure enough to go to a bar with my friends," et cetera.

Dee, sorry about that. At least I didn't put mayo in your Krispy Kreme...

I'm also not one to think April fools jokes are very funny, especially when they involve something as serious as alcoholism.

There's other ways to " parody" the AV.
I found that simply admitting the thoughts were lies and not letting them control my actions worked good.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Pouncer -that was great. I like April Fools jokes...and you played it very well. I was the fish on the hook!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Lol. I was thinking "this sounds like a terrible idea!".
Old 04-01-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think we can benefit from the wise words of Mr T. "I pity the fool."
Old 04-01-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS!!! totally had me hooked. HA!

speaking for self, having a sense of humor about my issues is VERY important for me. "super serious me" was in full effect when i was trying to poison myself to death.

thought of a couple brand names for you guys at the brewery: RELAPSE ROGGENBIER. A.V. AMBER. HIGHER POWER HEFWIEZEN. PLUGINTHEJUG PORTER.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You got me. Sitting here thinking, Geeze Pouncer that's the smartest idea an alcoholic could have. Good luck with that one.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Heck, when I read this last night I was gonna ask for a job...
Old 04-01-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wow, that was good. Thanks for the laugh!!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hahahaha. I figured this was april fools joke before I opened the thread. I was hoping somebody did SOMETHING. Good one.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I must admit, ya got me. Well done.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I feel that life AND sobriety doesn't have to be all gloom & doom and no play. In my AA group, we have alot of fun joking around about how we "used to be", laughing at ourselves, being playful, sarcastic, whatever. If I had to sit and think about the seriousness of my disease and all the terrible things I did 24 hours a day I'd probably just off myself.

I think this was some light fun! Put a smile on my face this morning. Anyone who was SO CONCERNED or distraught about this brewery opening, that it truly deeply upset them, probably needs to go to CODA or Al-Anon or something, because we all know we can't control what other people do anyways.

Come on people - lighten up!

Lol.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thank God! Happy April Fools indeed...LOL!
Old 04-01-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
You are a naughty girl, Pouncer!
Old 04-01-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I know it's April 1st and I knew someone was going to play that card...but I still totally bought it! Punk! I'm an April fool!

Good one!
Old 04-01-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

#yawn
Old 04-01-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have to admit I'm not a fan of April Fools jokes, especially here at SR - but I'm very glad it's not happening Pouncer.
I agree.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I have to admit I'm not a fan of April Fools jokes, especially here at SR - but I'm very glad it's not happening Pouncer.

D
I agree
Old 04-01-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
EndGame

Hi Pouncer.

I'm not here to scold you, but I do want to offer another perspective. I'm not at all a stick in the mud, and I frequently use humor as a tool when I'm working in psychotherapy with people who are struggling with things like grief, major depression, suicide, death and divorce. I've also enlisted humor whenever I've coordinated large-scale research studies on "serious" issues -- schizophrenia, addictions, the effects of 9/11, PTSD.

When I read your OP, I imagined that there would be people who would caution you on embarking on such an enterprise, at least suggest you prepare for the worst, perhaps also feel disturbed by and fearful for you by virtue of your putting yourself in the line of fire so early in sobriety. These were among the thoughts and feelings I identified in myself.

Given that you were attempting to parody the AV, I think it's possible that the ultimate parody is that you allowed your AV to convince you that it's perfectly fine to pull off your April Fools prank without considering the potential unintended consequences, or that the consequences would be minimal, relative to the humor involved.

I've commented before that I don't at all like threads that are titled something like "I drank all night..." And then the first line in the body of the OP is something like "...and it's the best green tea I've ever had!" I'm certain that the intentions are good, but there are also unintended consequences for people reading these threads, many of whom have suffered the trauma of relapse and who may have formed an attachment to certain members of SR, if not SR itself.

So, I'll settle for being the bad guy with no sense of humor. I've been called worse. Much worse.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

BRILLIANT, I usually hate the ones as mentioned above "I drank all night" then open the thread and its "best green tea" they really annoy me but today is April fools and it is a one off.

I know everyone is here for a serious issue that is addiction but honestly we need to have a laugh and a joke sometime if not it just gets boring.

Can't believe how badly I got reeled into this one when reading the first post I couldn't believe my eyes lol.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Every morning I find out what obscure holiday occurs on that day. For instance, yesterday was Quit Your Crappy Job Day. I put up a post about it in fact. Tomorrow is National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day. If you don't like PB&J for tomorrow, it is Children's Book Day.

I checked out the calendar yesterday and duh, realized it was April Fool's Day. I had gotten to the point where I am comfortable on these forums -- which is good because I find it hard to be myself, or be relaxed and especially humorous with people. That was a goal for sobriety.

As for my AV talking to me...I merely thought it would be fun to make fun of myself, I have come further along sobriety in the last three weeks than I have in four years. I used to say things like the stuff in my OP to myself. I had not anticipated that people would be offended by it. I guess that's my sense of humor, so I apologize if it offends your sensibilities, truly.

Just wanted to walk you through my thought process.