Notices

Class of April 2015

Old 04-07-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome and glad to meet you guys! Suffering from serious insomnia! Without my wine knocking me out I'm wide awake! I hope this insomnia is only temporary!!
Old 04-07-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's pretty common Yacine but it will get progressively better

D
Old 04-08-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Loved catching up on how everyone is doing. Right now is the evening of day three. No withdrawal but holy hell I'm dying for a beer. It's making my mouth water. I can't remember the last time I went more than two days it's normally the longest I can go.

Herbal tea, cordial oh god. Not hungry but that a good thing.

Noticed there are a lot of runners on this site. I'm a distance runner too. Any idea how so many of us who commit to 'healthy' lifestyles who run day after day... Committed, disciplined blah blah. How do we become alcoholics? Is it because we're all or nothing? That's what I'm like. Running and beer are my two favorite things... Weekend before last ran a 10km trial run after about a dozen beers the night before and only stopped cause I really wanted to run the next day. I feel like amongst other things I'm not a 'serious' runner.

I guess we all have hobbies that conflict with drinking...

Just thinking out loud.. Trying to make sense of it all

Maybe I'm naive to think runners and athletes don't drink and treat they're bodies like a temple.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by SoberSparrow View Post
Any idea how so many of us who commit to 'healthy' lifestyles who run day after day... Committed, disciplined blah blah. How do we become alcoholics?
The answer to the question is we drink too much for too long. As for the first part, I would imagine it is some combination of the following:
  • We drink to reward our hard work (exercise);
  • We run in the mistaken belief it will counteract the damage we do with our drinking;
  • Exercise makes us feel so good and confident that we figure we've finally got things under control; and,
  • We have somehow developed an unhealthy method of getting enough carbs to support our running.

Anyway, those are my guesses.

Now, I realize that sobriety is the foundation of everything else in my life - without, everything else slowly starts to slip away.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Hi Midton, SoberSparrow,

Still going here.....finishing day 8 now. Getting thru a fair bit of dark chocolate......

Welcome Yazz, yacine.

Hope all the class is doing well
Old 04-08-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Totally agree with that jazzfish....

For me i am an addict, it could be running, lifting weights or drinking... i do things to extreme. I need to harbour my enthusiasm in a positive way...

Day 5 and sleeping well..... making plans., spring cleaning etc!

Good luck everyone
Old 04-08-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Welcome Yacine and SoberRunner (SR). What do you know, just back from a short run. I'm not an avid runner, maybe 3 times a week and not long distance. I do it cause I feel it helps my golf and helps clear the crap in my system. Day 4 here. I'm learning that I became alcoholic because I would drink to fill a missing void or to be satisfied. Only to find out alcohol can never satisfy. With booze our bodies are like a broken cistern (water tank) with holes. No matter how much I would drink I could never be satisfied. I was spiritually broken because of the booze. Now I am putting God first. And too his Glory I will stay sober on Day 4. For I believe God is truly the missing piece that I need. Peace to everyone here. Stay sober my friends.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Hi,

I am a new member. This is my second day and third attempt to quit. First time I was sober for 25 days. Second time it was for 14 days. This time I am not going to give up.

Thanks,
Amit
Old 04-08-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome amitranjan04

D
Old 04-08-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Hey all, day 8 today! Feeling good but a little anxious. I've also quit smoking so between those 2 things I've been a tad on edge. I am not going to bend, tho.....I want this more than anything! Stay strong april class!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by Goose1 View Post
... I'm learning that I became alcoholic because I would drink to fill a missing void or to be satisfied. Only to find out alcohol can never satisfy. With booze our much I would drink I could never be satisfied. I was spiritually broken because of the booze. Now I am putting God first ...
I 100% agree with you! I feel the same way.
You will stay sober! Thank you for the welcome...
Old 04-08-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Good morning all! I hope everyone has a fantastic day. Remember if you have urges today come post here first before you act on it. It's amazing how posting can squash a stubborn AV.
to all!
Old 04-08-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, checking in on day 2. Got my big jug of water here at my desk. Got the radio going. Just focusing on getting my work done and getting home sober again. Worked yesterday and I am committed to another successful day!
Old 04-08-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Had a successful night last night. Was in my normal social environment with business folks, and managed to avoid the discussion. Actually said a short prayer before going out, and read my page from the book "24 Hours a Day." Those gave me surprising strength, and went to bed and woke up with smiles on my face.

Glad others are doing well. Stay strong, and look forward to hearing about more successes!!
Old 04-08-2015, 10:05 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

So I drank again last night - this is the story of my life. I make all these promises to myself when I'm hung over but the next night I forget how I felt. I am starting to hate myself
Old 04-08-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rudy68 View Post
So I drank again last night - this is the story of my life. I make all these promises to myself when I'm hung over but the next night I forget how I felt. I am starting to hate myself

Rudy I've done the same thing. We just have to keep at it. Never give up!!!!! I believe in all of us!!
Old 04-08-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Day 8 for me! I went to bed with a wicked headache last night and all I could think was well that's just not fair I haven't drank anything! Thank god it was gone this morning.

Well back to the crazy party prep, it's starting to kick into high gear today, tomorrow the absolute insanity starts. Due to severe food allergies I cook and bake everything myself so even a small party is a big affair for me and this one is a good sized one. On the plus side I don't have time to even think about alcohol so that AV will be muzzled for the next few days. Good, I can't stand that hag anyway

Have a good day everyone!
Old 04-08-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Hang in there Rudy. Today is a new day, make it better today!!
Old 04-08-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by rudy68 View Post
Hi Rudy,

Don't hate yourself! We've all been there...

Have you tried writing down why you want to get sober? That helped me, sometimes, but we're all different. The thing that has always helped was praying, "God, please help me stay sober today." For some reason, if I didn't pray that in the morning, I'd end up on my usual routine (which included buying wine on the way home) and I wouldn't remember I was trying to stop drinking until I finished 1 or 2 glasses. It was really weird! It was like something takes over and I completely forgot I was trying to abstain from drinking wine.

I'm not sure if you're into praying but it's just a suggestion... If you're not, no worries--sometimes we have to try a couple of things and see what works best for us. Hang in there!
Old 04-08-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Great going Peaceful Rain!

Rudy, we've all been there bud. I can't tell you how many times I've caved in the afternoon after I just swore in the morning that I was done forever. How many times I've forgotten all the terrible costs of drinking alcoholically in the span of no-time-at-all. I hope you won't hate yourself for it, that's not going to do you any good. I hope you'll feel better as the day progresses! I believe we'll get it right eventually as long as we don't stop trying.