Notices

1st Meeting

Old 03-31-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st Meeting

Finally made the first step in my recovery. Admitting I am powerless and I can not do this on my own. Went to my first meeting last night. Listened to the shares and felt overall good about the experience. I am an atheist though. I struggle with the idea that AA may not work for me since I don't have faith in a deity. With that being said I will continue to go just for the sheer fact that I know I need the community, fellowship and mentorship.

Are there any atheist out there that do both AA and follow their own particular views on God? If so I would like to hear your testimonies if possible.

Thank you.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Delta

I'm not an AA member, but I'm sure you'll hear from a lot of AA members on this point.

I'm glad you're finding it useful in any case

D
Old 03-31-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I am an atheist who uses my own particular idea of a higher power. The AA program is not inherently religious, but different people and different meetings view God differently. If you are uncomfortable with your local meetings, can you travel to a meeting elsewhere occasionally? There are agnostic AA meetings, but they are scarce.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not an atheist, but I still follow my own views on the higher power of my understanding.
That's the beauty of AA. All I had to do was be willing to believe there was a power out there greater than me( and not me) that could help me with my problem with alcohol. I was allowed to chose my own perception of that higher power.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job DeltaBravo
Old 03-31-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Court jester

Originally Posted by DeltaBravo View Post
With that being said I will continue to go just for the sheer fact that I know I need the community, fellowship and mentorship.
BINGO! That's exactly what I do. I have a different understanding of a higher power than the concept that AA was founded on. However, I LOVE the people there and absolutely need the fellowship as an integral part of my sobriety.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Right now it's not uncomfortable. I know eventually I'll start to share my own testimony. ..so I guess I'm a little apprehensive.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't use AA, but I definitely needed to connect with my spiritual side. The main thing is for you to stay sober and to find what works for you.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ahhh this question has come up before. You may want to look for an alternative in your area. I can relate to your situation on a certain level. I didn't go into AA as an athiest, but I can certainly say that AA made me into an Athiest. It was at this point that I decided to seek an alternative.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Would like to hear this. ..what happen?
Old 03-31-2015, 09:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I consider myself an atheist and I'm in AA. As others have said, I've been able to develop my own personal concept of a higher power that works for me. Even in 2nd, 3rd and 11th step meetings, AA'ers in my area (liberal US city) rarely get preachy about god.

For myself, AA has only required me to have an open mind, be willing to change, and be honest with myself and others.

Try reading the chapter to the agnostic in the big book.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Just think of it as a power greater than yourself. Hell, gravity has more power than you do in some respects (at least if you try to fly under your own power ).

Group-Of-Drunks was the power greater than me when I first started AA. I could not do it on my own, so that worked. The point is that YOU decide what that greater power is for you.

All the best.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have a higher power of my own conception! That's what AA is all about! <3
Old 03-31-2015, 11:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Its so deep really. I can't even put words to it. I do not believe at all in a divine creator. Sometimes I wish I could. I used to believe in God. It was easy to be held accountable to the invisible. With that being said I do believe in a higher calling. I just fall so short of it. I want to be a man of principle and ethics. A person I can be satisfied with. Not in an arrogant way, which I often fall victim too. Which leads to me giving in to my addiction. I used to believe in myself in that I was a good man. I just want to be that good man again. I do believe I need to find something...maybe some sort of holistic approach to enlightening. I see myself being more inclined to that versus Judeo Christianity. Regardless of what I choose I know I must stick to the fellowship of AA. It's funny...I've only been to one meeting. Here I am putting all my trust in it. I'm not naïve to the fact that the urge, the thirst is going to come. I'm actually quite frightened by it. I have this weird sort of assurance that if I go to a meeting the likelihood of me drinking that day drops dramatically. I missed today because I got off work late and wife and kids took the car...to go to church...go figure...haha. Anyways that is pretty much it for tonight. Thank you for everyone's input and feed back.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

The nice thing is that you don't need to figure it all out right away,

I agree that meeting attendance in the beginning is very important. The odds of drinking, when you commit to a meeting each day, are much lower.

Keep us informed!
Old 04-01-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi.
First let me say that reading your post you are a good man today and that’s what counts. The past is just that, we try not to repeat it.
I’ve never been a religious person but have MY Higher Power that has kept me sober for a lot of years.
Part of the need for alcoholics is because of their general low self esteem and super ego. Many consider they are the Higher Power. I’ll do it myself thinking. For them I wonder if they still feel that way when while driving and pulling off the road with the flashing red and blue lights in their mirror, or in jail, or waiting to see the judge. Just a small example along with the feeling we get when we get mail with the letters on it “IRS.”
Even today that’s an “Oh My God” feeling.

BE WELL
Old 04-01-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Good for you!

Most members of AA will respect whatever ones concept of their HP is for sure...... But, some will judge.

Remember that some AA'ers like all people can be pretty self centered about their way - keeping an open mind in the face of narrow mindedness is sometimes necessary for me and helps me grow outside of myself. We are all just people with our human flaw - even the most devout Big Book Thumper!

Love and tolerance is our creed........

Keep coming back!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No need to be religious. Plenty of people at my group who aren't and they've got many, many years sobriety in AA without it.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This morning was rough. Not a lot of sleep. Seems like everyone wants to be loud and rude when I'm trying to sleep...lol. Not going to lie it affected me and kinda put me in a funk this morning. Not really wanting to grab a bottle or anything but the potential triggers could have been set I guess. I'm a self rewarding / spontaneous binge drinker. 1 6 pack turned into another. 12 pack of IPA got me pretty sloppy. Then I would try to get my mind right and would have a day of sobriety then give myself a reason to do it all over again. Rinse - Repeat .

So here it is today and I'm not feeling on top of my game. I'm going to take the better part of the morning and research the steps and look for some potential cults to join for my Higher Power...haha...just kidding.

Will keep an open mind though. Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

If you fancy getting your mood lifted while still contemplating AA type matters, I can recommend a listen to Mickey Bush - very funny. He can even make me laugh when I'm doing the housework, and not much can do that!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJXNmvDvXn4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L0hemu0vqU