Notices

Day 4 - Apathy

Old 03-31-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 4 - Apathy

Well, here I am on day 4. I am feeling like a slug. Rather apathetic, lethargic, a little irritated and annoyed, and have an overall bad attitude and lack luster and motivation for every day life, which seems a bit pointless. I am trying to eat healthy and I am taking my supplements. Plodded along on my elliptical for 15 minutes so far. Not snapping out of it. I got plenty of sleep, but all I seem to want to do is hibernate, roll over and go back to sleep, which will do me no good because then I will be awake for the day around 6pm and will get my schedule backward. I might compare myself to a zombie, but I think zombies are more motivated than I feel now. I need an attitude adjustment or something. Don't know what my problem is.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The problem is your body is healing, years of drinking is not gonna be healed in 4 days, give it time!!

Keep pushing through!!
Old 03-31-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Court jester

What Purple said! Don't have any expectations on feelings or emotions in early sobriety. Just accept what comes along as part of the journey of sobriety that we all go through. Eveything passes in time and may return again when we are not expecting it; both good and bad, happiness and sorrow, excitment for life and being a "zombie". Just take it all in stride and don't drink no matter what!
Old 03-31-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 4 days
Old 03-31-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just listen to your body and don't push things too much. Congratulations on 4 days sober.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get better NSI - keep moving forward

D
Old 03-31-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We understand NotSoIvory...Day four is the rough day for me as well. Feeling Spaced out, Brain fog BIG time!...Feel like i'am on Valium...and yes...feel like the proverbial "Zombie" !

By Day 7 things are going to be much better ! Just you wait and see !

DD
Old 03-31-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Have to concur with the others, you'll have to give it time. Your body and brain chemistry are readjusting. Things are not well, at all. Push yourself only when you must.

I can't recommend one thing enough, though: walking. Get off the elliptical, get outside, work your whole body, breathe the outside air. Unless you live in LA, or some place equally noxious, in which case remain inside with your air purifier! Also, it might help more to add some weight, if you want to be a soldier about it. Replace the weight on your shoulders with a different one.

Back in 2010, after both of my parents passed due to illness, I quit drinking upwards of a 1.75L/day, gave up everything, loaded a backpack, a bedroll, and a second backpack slung under the first, and I put out for a year. Walking, hitch hiking, train hopping, etc. A vacation if you will.

Now, that was a radical act, and as much as the work out, I know abdicating all my remaining non-essential responsibilities and burdensome property helped me as well.

Nevertheless, I find a long, hard slog a lot more refreshing and invigorating than anything else I've ever tried.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Never think of taking a book with you. The object of walking is to relax the mind. You should therefore not permit yourself even to think while you walk. But divert your attention by the objects surrounding you. Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far." - Thomas Jefferson

"All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Of course, feel free to replace the musket with a sturdy walking stick. Crepe myrtle makes for a surprisingly stout companion.

Think I'm going to take my own advice before the incoming storm hits. Cheers!
Old 03-31-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

As others have said, give it time and don't over do it.
We, addicts, always want instant gratification. Unfortunately life doesn't always work that way. Just don't give up.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We also have the slight problem of seeming to never be satisfied.