Notices

Best Excuses for not drinking?

Old 03-31-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Best Excuses for not drinking?

Hi all - I'm female, 29, married for 3 years, with no kids - and in my newly sober state people can't seem to accept the fact that I'm not drinking and am not pregnant. My planned line "I don't feel like it" isn't being bought by a lot of people because, well, I was an alcoholic who drank at all times prior to now regardless of the circumstance. And every time people start asking me a million questions about not drinking, it weakens my resolve to not drink... so I'd like to have some good excuses planned

I don't want to tell casual acquaintances that I have a serious alcohol problem, as I am still not confident enough in my recovery to really make this known except among my good friends.

Soo.... any good "excuses" out there to tell people you're not drinking? So far I've said: "I'm doing a no alcohol cleanse", "I'm taking antibiotics", and "I'm tired". Any other suggestions?

xo, cambie03
Old 03-31-2015, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I just say no thank you. There is no need to let anyone know you have an alcohol problem, and you really don't need to make up excuses either. Just say no thanks, and if they ask why, just say because you don't want a drink.

To be quite frank, hanging around people who will persistently try to get you to drink is probably not the best idea at 2 weeks sober anyway. I needed to remove myself from those types of situations for at least a couple of months when I first started out.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by cambie03 View Post
And every time people start asking me a million questions about not drinking, it weakens my resolve to not drink... so I'd like to have some good excuses planned
If you have to explain why you aren't drinking, you are in a situation you should probably avoid, especially in early sobriety.

As for an excuse, I don't give one. I tell people I don't drink. I don't need to excuse that decision. I have yet to have that questioned.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I say 'No, thanks'.

Try to remember that you don't owe anyone an explanation as to why you are drinking or not,
and lying is not the best solution for recovery. I had lied quite a lot during my drinking days and was anxious to get away from that.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I say no thanks
Old 03-31-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah, I agree with Anna - lying is not the way to deal with it.

Lying only hurts you.

"No, thanks," is all that needs to be said. If they press you, how about, "I just don't like how it makes me feel." I also agree that you need not explain to anyone. If they don't like it, that's on them.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree. It's nobody's business but yours. NO THANK YOU should suffice.

However, after two or three "No thank yous" NO EFFING THANK YOU! DIDN'T YOU HEAR ME THE FIRST TWO TIMES! seems to get the message across.

Having a decoy in your hand always works too.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just say alcohol doesn't agree with me.

I used excuses early in my sobriety, but now I just tell people I don't drink
Old 03-31-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Cambie.

Welcome to SR.

Some of my friends knew me as a person who really appreciated good wine - I was a closet drinker and no one new I had a problem with it.

So, when I decided to kick wine and other alcohol out of my life they were quite surprised with me turning down my used-to-favourite-poison of choice.

My standard answer is "I feel much better without it". Which is completely true. No need to go into details.

End of story.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just say no thank you. If pursued why, years ago, I respond I want to live longer without toxic substances in my system.

BE WELL
Old 03-31-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey cambie03 I have been in the same boat am 25 and found when said to people I don't drink or no thanks they keep on and on or are curious as to why not. I have found these to be my favorite excuses that work very well.

1. I would love to but have made a £100 bet with my mate I can go for a month without drinking so no way I am losing that. (for some reason this works really well)

2. Have to go doctors tomorrow and have been told can't drink 24 hours before

3. (I dont drive) got a driving lesson in the morning and last time couldn't do it as was too hungover but still had to pay.

4. Babysitting a young relative later this evening and don't want to turn up smelling of alcohol.

5. Going running/gym tonight so not drinking.

I also have tried just keep getting my own drinks and ordering cokes/lemonades and no one ever questions if it's got alcohol in or not.

I know not everyone understands it's different for different people but good luck
Old 03-31-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just say I Jo longer drink, when they say why, I say I have had my fill. Done! No more questions.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Court jester

"No thanks. I'm taking the night off from drinking"

"Been having acid reflux lately. Alcohol will make it worse, but thanks anyway"

"No thanks. Last time it gave me a bad headache so I'll pass for tonight"

"The last time I got drunk, I was walking to my front door when this bright light appeared above me and I was sucked into the alien mothership where I was subjected to horrifying experiements. Drinking reminds me of that ordeal, so I'll pass for tonight. Pretzels anyone?" (They will probably stop asking after this one)
Old 03-31-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Cambie!!