Notices

This made me sad

Old 03-31-2015, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This made me sad

http://abc7.com/589600/

This story could have been written about me. I was a wandering drunk. To me this was more of a danger to me than drinking and driving; I actually got hurt bad a couple times in my wandering stage... but I am still here and this young man isn't. This story really hits home and why I don't wish to go back to drinking again. I wish he wasn't dead. I wish he had another chance like I got.

My sincerest condolences to his family.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I fixed the URL

But..yeah...I've seen many people, friends or not, lose the battle with their demons, or otherwise die young tragiucally...there must be some reason for all of us here to still be here.

We shouldn't ever forget that.

Prayers for all who knew and loved this young man.
D
Old 03-31-2015, 01:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I couldn't read it because the site has a poor reputation rating.

But..yeah...I've seen many people, friends or not, lose the battle...there must be some reason for all of us here to still be here.

We shouldn't ever forget that.

D
Oh that's weird, it is from ABC local news. In case others with same issue, the story is of a Berkley student/soccer athlete. He came down from N. California to go to a party in USC. He told his friends at the party he wanted to go to the beach walking. They tried stopping him but he went anyway. He called two friends moments before he died. The friend he talked to last said, that he sounded confused, scared, and asking for help.

He ended up getting hit by a car traveling 60 mph on the 10 fwy. My guess is he was so confused he didn't know he was about to cross a freeway.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow. I remember that accident. Really sad.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

... and you're right Dee. I am still here for a reason and I hope I won't go anywhere until I finish completing whatever it is that I have to accomplish.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is so sad and hits home for me too, I was so reckless with traffic its a miracle I was never hit
Old 03-31-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by GoesWithTheFlow View Post
Oh that's weird, it is from ABC local news.
Your url had two 'http//'s in it, thats all.
I fixed it.

D
Old 03-31-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow...I could so relate to this. I, too, was a big time wanderer who managed through some miracle to still be here. So many people who drink end up getting hurt physically in a variety of ways.. I fell so many times I damaged my brain. Great reminder article on why being sober is the way for me to live
Old 03-31-2015, 03:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In addition to driving drunk, I have;

Jumped out of moving vehicles in drunken rage
Picked fights with people who could quite reasonably have brought me grave bodily harm
Wandered in traffic
Jumped out of multiple-story windows
Leapt intentionally in front of traffic
Become violent with police
Wandered into and around very dubious neighborhoods in at least a dozen countries
Wandered off from bars with total strangers to do drugs
Slept with strangers

And these are just the things I recall.... God knows what other perils I've put myself in during blackouts

it is really a miracle I'm alive and never hurt or killed anyone
Old 03-31-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yeah, I can certainly relate. Passed out on the subway several times. Not sure how I never fell onto the tracks. But woke up in the hospital once and then at the far end of the Bronx or Brooklyn on probably five separate occasions. I never recall doing so, but I'm sure I've stumbled across the busy streets of NYC while completely blackout and somehow managed to never have any serious happen.

Truly a terrible story. I feel horribly for his friends and family and for the young man himself. Thanks for posting, I'm on Day 41 right now and while I'm sticking to my plan, I notice my resolve is slipping. Knowing that this is a possible consequence of my drinking since I cannot guarantee I won't blackout is a good reminder of why I decided to try and get sober.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Tragic
Old 03-31-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nymets86 View Post
Thanks for posting, I'm on Day 41 right now and while I'm sticking to my plan, I notice my resolve is slipping. Knowing that this is a possible consequence of my drinking since I cannot guarantee I won't blackout is a good reminder of why I decided to try and get sober.
Congrats! I am on day 56 or 57. This story also keeps my resolve from leaving me.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey FreeOwl & NYMets -

Wow! Jumping out of multi-story windows and passing out on the subway...

I am VERY glad that you both survived all your shenanigans!! (Our behavior doesn't sound so crazy when I call it shenanigans, huh...)

You are both pivotal people for me on this site. Imagine if you hadn't made it. All the little turns and folds of destiny! It is possible that in your recovery, you have each supported at least one other person in the critical moment with just the right words to prevent their drinking which might have resulted in their own tragedy. We never know how we impact people, but I think all of us can safely assume that our steady presence here on this site has meaning, and that - collectively - we really are saving each others' lives, over and over again...

When I read a story like this one, I am reminded that for all my "quitting for medical reasons" and "I never did that....", I have had a blackout or two in my life, and during those blackouts, I have absolutely no control over my actions. This is terrifying to me, and - even without a single other ramification from drinking - is enough reason to never drink again!

I think often of the analogy in the big book, where the guy is addicted to jay-walking and gets hit by a car, is hurt, recovers, does it again, is hit again, is injured, recovers, gets hit by a trolley, is badly hurt, recovers, does it again, is hit by a bus, etc. While that is used as a metaphor for our experience inside alcoholism, it can also be taken quite literally for many of us who have the tendency to frolic in traffic during blackouts, or fall down stairs, or bed strangers...

So, I am grateful that every single one of us is sober and cognizant today...