Notices

Timing

Old 03-30-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Timing

Two years ago, roughly, was my first post on this site. Those years have flown by fast. My first thoughts of quitting came around then. I thought that quitting drinking was poor timing then. First because I was taking law school tests, then because I was leaving to live and work abroad. I was both right and wrong. The reason why my first two attempts to quit failed wasn't because of when I decided to quit, but because the other events took a much larger priority in my life and when I let sobriety became a side issue, it was easier to let things slip.

This happened time and time again over the last two years.

Once more I stand at another crucial moment in my fledgeling adult life, and I can't make the circumstances any less important or difficult to deal with. What I can do is make my sobriety a priority despite these things. If that means making new friends or any number of things while moving and working in a new environment are more difficult, I have to accept that as a challenge that is necessary.

Letting things slip would be all too easy, and its all too easy to be complacent while I'm comfortable here in an old environment. Soon I will be in a world full or new stressors and opportunities where drinking is encouraged. My resolve must remain strong. More important than anything right now, is my sobriety.

I felt a lot more confident at the beginning of that post than by now. But no-one said this was going to be easy.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Court jester

Originally Posted by kinzoku View Post
The reason why my first two attempts to quit failed wasn't because of when I decided to quit, but because the other events took a much larger priority in my life and when I let sobriety became a side issue, it was either to let things slip.
Welcome back!! It can be easy if you so choose; change your thoughts about the process.

One thing is for sure, if you continue drinking, then at some point in the future you will lose those "other events" that took priority. That side issue of drinking will become an all consuming issue that will cause more harm than good.

Glad you are back!!
Old 03-31-2015, 01:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're here now, kinzoku. Make this time your time!
Old 03-31-2015, 02:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

i kept putting quitting off from ages 27 thro 37 .

I've achieved a whole lot more in the last 3 years than in those 10 .

I asked myself how many more years, months or days was i willing to give up to the drink .
The best time to have quit would have been earlier , the next best time is now .

Bestwishes, m
Old 03-31-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Kinzoku,
I guarantee you that you will be able to live your entire life and always find an excuse why this is not a good time to stop. Always. It's your AV trash talking to you. Don't listen to it. I'm 60. The one regret I have is that I didn't to this sooner. My life is so much better without booze. It's amazing! I regret that I wasted so much of my life in a drunken blur, numb and unaware. Since you are in your "fledgeling adult life" you have a wonderful opportunity never to have to live that regret... do what you think is best.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Soon I will be in a world full or new stressors and opportunities where drinking is encouraged

Same for me Kinzoku, in September (if I get accepted into university).

I'm glad that you are making sobriety your priority. I am starting to do that now after a few years of half-baked attempts, and I'm currently enjoying my longest period of sobriety in 12 years. We CAN do this!

Oh, and I must mention, great avatar
Old 03-31-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk