Notices

"Life is better" Something inspirational that I read.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Life is better" Something inspirational that I read.

Day 3 for me.
This is not something I have written but something I have read that has given me inspiration. I hope other newbies also enjoy this. It describes me perfectly.

LIFE IS BETTER
For most of my adult existence I was the ultimate party guy. Life without booze and parties and wild nights were impossible for me to imagine. After all, alcohol was incredibly effective at (temporarily) alleviating my inhibitions, my painful self-consciousness and paralysing depression.
For me, binge drinking created a vicious cycle of crazy times followed by miserable self-loathing. There were endless humiliations and countless drunken escapades. I said over and over again that I'd cut back, quit drinking, and get a grip on my behavior— but to no avail for many years.
But one day I woke up, and it hit me square in the face. All of this would simply go away if I stopped drinking.
As I started adopting a healthier lifestyle and practicing self-care, alcohol just didn't have the same appeal to me anymore. So I stopped drinking. Here is what I've learned:
1. I didn’t like the person drinking made me.
That person wasn't really me. Pretty much every bad, embarrassing, stupid or ill-intentioned thing I’d ever done was attributable to alcohol. Not that I'm absolving myself of responsibility — I made the choice to drink. But that person wasn't the real me.
2. I’m pretty amazing without the influence of alcohol.
Admittedly, there was an initial adjustment period. Parties felt slightly awkward without any social lubricants; everyone was happily drunk and I was stone cold sober. Without booze, I felt boring. I used to think a couple of drinks ( more like a heap of drinks ) induced a better version of me. But without the alcohol as a crutch, I am permanently that better version of me, and this is a form of self-esteem that never wears off.
3. My idea of fun has evolved.
Some things just aren't as enjoyable when you stop drinking — like parties and bars and pubs where everyone else is totally hammered. But as parties and bars started appealing to me less, other things started appealing to me more. I discovered that healthy pursuits like music, art, outdoor recreation, enjoying the beach & nature brought me a sense of lasting joy that was a million times more satisfying than the booze-induced kind.
4. It's gotten easier over time.
Committing to a lifetime without alcohol seemed boring and impossible. After all, booze is everywhere and it livens everything up. But as time went on, it got easier and easier. I became comfortable in any given situation, no drinks necessary. And I can't describe how good it feels to know I won't do or say or instigate anything stupid.
5. I feel better across the board.
Ditching drinking is one of many changes I've made to my lifestyle, but all together they've effectively healed me from a depression that lingered for more than 3 decades. Alcohol contributed negatively to my mental health (hello, it's a depressant!) in ways I didn't even realize. Undoubtedly, abstaining from alcohol was a key factor in my healing process, and I'm an entirely different person these days.
6. No alcohol means less anxiety.
Alcohol was my means of self-medication. Sure, my anxiety all but disappeared when I was drunk, but it came raging back worse than ever in the aftermath. Alcohol fuelled my stress levels (and depression) in a big way, and without it, I've found the path to peace.
7. I see things more clearly.
Alcohol affected my judgment in ways I wasn't even aware of until its influence was gone. The after effects of drinking kept me on an emotional roller-coaster that led to countless bad decisions and life-altering choices. These days, I know my judgment is totally clear & sound. That is real freedom for me.
8. I now know what real self-love feels like.
Taking care of yourself is a commitment and sometimes, it takes sacrificing short-term pleasures for long-term well-being. But there is nothing more rewarding.
Drinking took me to the depths of self-loathing and despair. Without it, I can see myself for who I really am, and now I've finally realized that who I really am is pretty awesome.
Of course, drinking isn't a problem for everyone, and this is in no way meant as a condemnation of alcohol altogether. But for me, giving it up has altered my life in amazing ways.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good post Greggo
Old 03-30-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Greggo, and congratulations on three sober days.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Greggo thank you for the inspiring post.