Notices

Tips for dealing with triggers

Old 03-30-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tips for dealing with triggers

this is probably the hardest part for me by far

I know all the reasons why I shouldn't drink but when I get the cravings I can't remember any of it.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What are your triggers?
Old 03-30-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
What are your triggers?
I dunno man

Certain time of day, say like 2pm it hits me and then for the next 4 hours it won't go away.

I find if I can just make it home without witting the liquor store I'm fine but its so hard.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

All you have to do is get through those four hours. Count them down. Even if it's minute by minute, there is still a fixed end to your craving. Do something to take your mind off of the ticking clock and how fixated your mind is on drinking.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not religious. At. All. Somewhere between agnostic/atheist. God's my lazy term for ... I dunno, something that's going to keep me sober. If you're a God guy, then cool.

This worked for me, every time.

I prayed, literally, as if my life depended on it. Still do. Had times when I wanted to drink, was going to drink, and couldn't think of a good reason not to... and I still prayed.

"God, relieve me of my urge and obsession to drink. Please help me stay sober." When the urge was intense, I'd throw in a few more pleases and curse words, so God knew I meant business. I'd repeat it. Sometimes I was driving, sometimes at work, sometimes at home. If I could, I groveled on my knees.

If I could, I picked up the phone and called someone in AA.

I developed a habit. If I wanted to drink, I prayed or picked up the phone, or both. I knew that I was an alcoholic and drinking was a bad idea. Besides, if I was still set on drinking afterwards, I could always drink. When I did (and do) those things, the urge/craving would go away, sometimes immediately, or sometimes after a little bit.

That practice has gotten me through a little over 400 days sober. It has gotten my sponsor through sometime like 4,000 days sober.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrLofg0029 View Post
I'll preface this by saying that I'm not religious. At. All. Somewhere between agnostic/atheist. God's my lazy term for ... I dunno, something that's going to keep me sober. If you're a God guy, then cool.

This worked for me, every time.

I prayed, literally, as if my life depended on it. Still do. Had times when I wanted to drink, was going to drink, and couldn't think of a good reason not to... and I still prayed.

"God, relieve me of my urge and obsession to drink. Please help me stay sober." When the urge was intense, I'd throw in a few more pleases and curse words, so God knew I meant business. I'd repeat it. Sometimes I was driving, sometimes at work, sometimes at home. If I could, I groveled on my knees.

If I could, I picked up the phone and called someone in AA.

I developed a habit. If I wanted to drink, I prayed or picked up the phone, or both. I knew that I was an alcoholic and drinking was a bad idea. Besides, if I was still set on drinking afterwards, I could always drink. When I did (and do) those things, the urge/craving would go away, sometimes immediately, or sometimes after a little bit.

That practice has gotten me through a little over 400 days sober. It has gotten my sponsor through sometime like 4,000 days sober.
thx man
Old 03-30-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll add one thing... As an alcoholic, gutting it out and just not drinking, is not my strong suit. I failed at that over and over and over again, for years. I need to do something different and it has to be an action plan that I do, no matter what. That something different action plan is what I described above.

Hope it helps.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrLofg0029 View Post
I'll add one thing... As an alcoholic, gutting it out and just not drinking, is not my strong suit. I failed at that over and over and over again, for years. I need to do something different and it has to be an action plan that I do, no matter what. That something different action plan is what I described above.

Hope it helps.
yeah that's the crossroads that I'm at.

been fighting instead of having that system and I do well in systems.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Do you normally have a set routine during those four hours? A place where you usually are, things you often do? If so, try to change these if you can. Specific times of day can definitely be triggering for many people who had a habit of getting alcohol / drinking during that time, but it's usually stronger when combined with places, people, and activities as well that we used to do during that time around our drinking. Depending on where you would most commonly drink, try to avoid being in that environment during the "witching hours". For me that was my own apartment, so I spent lots of time out during my 1-2 months of sobriety. The idea is to break these associations that our minds made with our drinking habit. Also, I had really bad cravings in the beginning and eating always helped.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Do you normally have a set routine during those four hours? A place where you usually are, things you often do? If so, try to change these if you can. Specific times of day can definitely be triggering for many people who had a habit of getting alcohol / drinking during that time, but it's usually stronger when combined with places and activities as well that we used to do during that time around our drinking. Also, depending on where you would most commonly drink, try to avoid being in that environment during the "witching hour". For me that was my own apartment, so I spent lots of time out during my 1-2 months of sobriety. The idea is to break these associations that our minds made with our drinking habit. Also, I had really bad cravings in the beginning and eating always helped.
Yeah I'm at work. I've been going to the gym, walks etc but it eventually reaches me. Always on the ride home from work.

Maybe there is something I could change on the way home like call my wife.

Witching hour/s indeed.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Try this Chewy http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 03-30-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Soberwolfs list is great. I particular recommend urge surfing.

The bottom line is tho - cravings pass. I never learnef that until I gave myself the chance to prove it.

It's uncomfortable sure...but they will pass...and each time should get a little easier.

Just cos we feel the trigger doesn't mean we have to let the gun off

D
Old 03-30-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Tell your AV no! I found I was having conversations in my head and still do as that AV never truly goes away! Just got to stay strong and push through! It's worth it!
Old 03-30-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
What are your triggers?
Does everything count?

I have tackled my triggers by reading my sobriety journals and personal journals. It keeps the memories fresh and reminds me why I can't ever drink again. Congrats on a new, sober day, Chewy.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Chewy88 View Post

Maybe there is something I could change on the way home like call my wife.

Witching hour/s indeed.
So, did you make it past your trigger period OK?
Old 03-31-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

How are you doing today? I think knowing you will want to drink starting at 2, while you are at work is fantastic self awareness. Drive a different route home. Treat yourself to something sweet at 2. Drink plenty of water. Siderail those cravings. They will pass and you know they will. You've made it through them.