Is anybody excited by their sobriety?

Old 03-30-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get excited by life in general. Never did that in my drinking years

D
Old 03-30-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I wish I could say something helpful or positive, but I am just over 60 days sober and feel like my life is so completely boring and lame without drinking, I know I shouldn't think this way but it's how I feel, I've even been having dreams lately where I allow myself to be a drinker again and it is filled with joy ...
Old 03-30-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluhend View Post
I wish I could say something helpful or positive, but I am just over 60 days sober and feel like my life is so completely boring and lame without drinking, I know I shouldn't think this way but it's how I feel, I've even been having dreams lately where I allow myself to be a drinker again and it is filled with joy ...
well bluhend, I hope you don't allow these feelings to take you down. It will get better with time. Some of us take longer than others. Have you been doing anything to put some positivity into your life?

If we just stop drinking and do nothing else, or focus on the negative, we may not get that joy we so desire. It takes a little bit of work on our part to help change things around.

AND congrats on 2 months runnerbean---- pink cloud? maybe. Glad you are enjoying being sober.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have read a lot of posts about "flat lining" in early sobriety, where thing are dull, you are dull, everything is blah....it is temporary, and how long it lasts depends on the individual.

As for being excited about sobriety, I SO AM! find myself feeling good most of the time. I am conscious of not getting too stressed or too hungry. Trying new things like meditation, which really helps......
Old 03-30-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Very excited by sobriety. Now that I see what's possible, and how perspective on life improves, and horizons widen- how it makes me a better human being- in short, that is an exciting thing. I'll take it over a temporary buzz any day.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm still excited and hope to stay excited. Being sober is great !
Old 03-30-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm at about 4 years and I think I'm more in shock than excited. lol Sometimes I still can't believe I don't drink anymore, it's what I'd always done since I was a teenager. I knew I wanted to be a non-drinker, I just couldn't imagine I could do it. Same with smoking. I'm so much happier now, I feel so much better about myself. I still have the occasional drinking dream..had one last night. Guess my subconscious can't believe it, either.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That's exactly how I felt in my first sober 6 months , exactly. With time it will pass Blu & you will be so glad your life is no longer on the endless drinking hungover treadmill.

Time is your friend & so are we xxx
Old 03-30-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I have never used the word excited but I would say I am relieved and content.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Great question! Yes, yes, absolutely!

My first six months, I was up and down I really feel it took about six months to feel consistently better and a year for the peaks and troughs to level out. The hardest thing for me to learn was to embrace the positive feelings and use them to sustain me through the inevitable negative times. My default before was much like yours. If I felt great, I feared it as just a precursor to feeling like crap. Changing how i saw the ups and downs was hugely helpful for me.

Now a couple years in, things just don't get to me the same way. Overall I feel about 50 times better than before, all the time. And when something tough happens, it isn't life shattering like before. I just deal with it.

It's a pretty cool way to live, you're gonna love it!
Old 03-30-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Nice post, and YES I'm excited to be sober.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

7 years and all the excitement that I want and I'm doing it sober.

Right now
On a mini vacation out in the desert in our pull behind travel trailer. The best of hiking, biking, swimming, great AA 7 AM early morning meetings and the little MountainLady will be here to join me this Thursday (our 9 year anniversary).

Mountainmanbob
Old 03-30-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Now save that drinking money for another couple years and put a motorcycle under that leather. Nothing exhilarates me more than a nice long sober ride. Bike spent a lot of time collecting dust in my drinking days. At least I was wise enough not to hop on and kill myself.
Yeah, exited about sobriety, then I get bummed about wasting my youth drinking but can't go back, right. Ride the wave. Don't get over bummed if you get some lulls in the excitement. Early sobriety can be quite the roller coaster ride. At least from my experience. No matter what, life is much more exiting when your actually present to enjoy it.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm only ten days in but I am pumped!! I also have this anxiety tho that it's not going to be everything I want it to be. I really want these things but I think it's more realistic that I'm not going to lose 20 lbs and became a colorado (that's where I live) outdoor athlete /distance runner with all of my sober/not hungover time.. I'm just praying I see some other positive results beside improvement in my mood. Seems like a long road! But YES I say "go me!" every night I go to sleep sober. And just try to be in the moment.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Hehehe, great question. Almost 29 months. I don't know if I get excited about my sobriety, so much as it gives me an amazing amount of confidence in myself. Knowing that I can overcome alcohol and addiction gives me a belief in myself and the realization that I possess an inner strength I had no idea I had. I truly believe that I can accomplish anything I set my mind on now, and that is an awesome feeling.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yes indeed! I quit 8 years ago and I LOVE being a nondrinker.
Staying on that theme, I bought myself a leather jacket online on Saturday with the money I have saved over the last 8 weeks!
LOL you go! I share your theme, but I purchased something I can't take off I sleeved my entire right arm and I also have beautiful side and back pieces. Good ink costs money, so I spend what I would be spending on booze and smokes and I have more than enough to do my whole body.

The excitement of being free from addiction never has to end if you don't want it to. I've had some horrible things happen in my life since quitting. Some things have really gotten to me, but even throughout my worst times, I've felt a quiet strength knowing that I'm weathering the storms without drinking or getting high. There is something deeply satisfying about that to me.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yes! I've got some big things that are coming up (my freedom is on the line) but I don't use drugs or alcohol today to cope. I work hard, enjoy my time off and have a good boyfriend. I am so grateful that I got a second chance at being happy. My children won't talk to me often and their Father rarely returns any communication. Still, I don't use.

You can do it too.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

At 2+ months I'm over the excitement. I guess I'm in that "flat" phase, too. Going to bed sober and waking up sober are routine now.

That said, everyday is a learning experience. I learn things about myself, others, the world. I see things that I need to work on. I'm learning to deal with things rather than just pushing them aside without examination. It's a pretty steep learning curve, and I'm glad to be doing it. But excited? Pumped? Nah, just trying to get on with my life, really.

I don't mean to be a downer. Not at all. I find living sober to be interesting and (at times) challenging. Well worthy of my best effort. I will continue to celebrate my sober milestones, as they signify a growing distance between where I am and the insanity of where I was. But, at least for now, I just don't feel the excitement.

I do, however, feel something that has been somewhat elusive to me in recent years: hope.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I am nearly at 6 months and I am so excited about doing all the things this year that I have done before but drink was involved! I am loving life and even though my financial situation is appalling at the moment, life is amazing!
Old 03-30-2015, 11:06 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nigey1 View Post
Yep. Instead of looking down into a drink we can look up at the bigger
Love it!