Notices

Mother of alcoholic son

Old 03-30-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Mother of alcoholic son

I am 57 years old and the mother of 3 sons. My 29 year old son has been abusing alcohol and certain drugs for well over 10 years now. I have watched him get into wonderful jobs with great pay only to lose it months into his employment due to his drinking. I have "tried to help" and now I see all I did was enable him. I fear he will become so depressed he may consider ending his life and feel such a burden and also responsibility in his addiction. I don't know how to help him, really make a difference and help him find the life he should be living as a creative, funny, handsome, smart young man. I need help in finding how to do this
Old 03-30-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry for your situation.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to force your child into sobriety. He will have to decide when he's had enough.

What are you doing for yourself? He doesn't live with you, does he?

You can go to the Family and Friends of Alcoholics section here, and read the posts at the top, called "Sticky" - there is a lot of good help there.

Here, click this link:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome, there are many other parents that will be along to talk.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Dlrshawnee youl find so much support here we have a great friends & family section to get additional support

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 03-30-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, dlrshawnee; I am sorry for what brings your here.

Have you considered going to Alanon?
Old 03-30-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!!

Al-anon has really helped me with all my frustrations about trying to get someone I love to stop drinking.

SR has really helped me understand addiction and addict behaviors.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My youngest son who studies at Temple has been telling me this for a while now. He has unfortunately turned his back on his brother and they were close. He said he can't have it around his children and his wife. I see today, today I see, I have been the enabler out of guilt. I felt him not having a wonderful, happy life was due to my poor parenting some how. I feel sad, I feel bad that his only living parent will have to step away. I feel sad that my little boy is now a grown man in pain. It breaks my heart to hear his voice so desperate and not able to find a true path. But today, I realize I have to step away so he can find it. I pray he is able to find it and doesn't just give up.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yes I tried finding one close to my home but wasn't able to. I do need to attend these meetings for my own heart ache in this
Old 03-30-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi dlrshawnee and welcome.

I was the drinker in our family and although part of me wanted to stop nothing or no-one could stop me. It wasn't that I didn't love my family but the pull of alcohol consumed my life, until I nearly lost everything.

I know my husband couldn't do anything for me or my very close friend.

I think the family and friends section may help you.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Dlrshawnee!!
Old 03-30-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Shawnee, we are kindred spirits. I could have written those exact words except my son is 25. He has been sober for two months due to a DUI, which I pray is his rock bottom. He is also in an outpatient program and taking Antabuse. He HAD to do something because of all of the trouble drinking has caused him over the years. The loss of the license and the fear that we will make him move out has been working thus far. I couldn't get him to quit for anything. I have found some peace attending AlAnon. They will teach you how to disengage, although it is very difficult. You deserve to have a happy life. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by dlrshawnee View Post
yes I tried finding one close to my home but wasn't able to. I do need to attend these meetings for my own heart ache in this
dlrshawnee - glad you're here posting. I have a son who is 18 I am concerned about. Letting go/establishing boundaries is REALLY tough.

This is a link to Al-anon in your area - actually list a meeting in the location you listed on SR = Chester springs. I find sometime new folks cannot always find the best listing, perhaps.
http://pa-al-anon.org/newsletters/Di...eetingList.pdf

Also - here's a nationwide #
1-888-4AL-ANON (1-888-425-2666) Mon- Fri, 8:00 am to 6:00 pm

Posting here will help you, glad you're here.