Notices

The fog is starting to lift.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The fog is starting to lift.

I am starting to feel human again, I am looking forward to a quiet evening watching TV and getting some decent sleep. I replayed the tape in my head about what went on yesterday and I'm very disappointed in myself. As doggonecarl recommended tomorrow will be dedicated to committing a plan to paper as I feel its necessary. Need to jump off this weekend hamster wheel I put myself through. I've talked about it incessantly but have not given it a 100%, so that is the plan. Thanks for listening.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JustaGuy

What happened Thomas? Trying to get as much information from as many people as possible as I am working on getting sober.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that, Thomas. A plan is important.

It's also crucial to remember this one thing: You can do this.

Re: your earlier posting. A lot of folks who've walked a mile in your shoes have urged you to get the booze out of your house. Your intentions may be good, but having booze in the house "to test yourself" isn't helping you. In addition to putting your plan to paper, please take the physical actions necessary by getting rid of the alcohol. Out of sight and proximity, out of mind.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jendler69 View Post
What happened Thomas? Trying to get as much information from as many people as possible as I am working on getting sober.
I got drunk yesterday and made a fool of myself on this website.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thomas, I'm glad you're feeling better and that you're okay! There are a lot of people on SR that are about you, myself included. I'm still trying to get this whole sobriety thing under control as well. I actually like the advice of writing down a sober plan that way we can hold ourselves more accountable in the future. I hope you have a great Sunday and that you take everyone's great advice. You can do this!!
Old 03-29-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Oh and you did NOT make a fool of yourself! We have all been there and there is no shame in this awful disease.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Thomas.... one thing that took me forever to do was to forgive myself. I didn't do that until well into a year of my sobriety. It seem to be less of a struggle once I finally did. Stop beating yourself up. This disease is not a choice. You weren't a little boy who wanted to grow up to be an alcoholic. It happened and you are doing something about it.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You're among friends who truly understand. Not a fool - an alcoholic. You sound good today. We're all with you.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Ask Dee to delete the threads and start fresh...never to do again.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

We don't delete threads unless rules are broken etc.
It's not fair to the many many people who gave their concern time and energy to help.

Thomas you need a plan man - something concrete some you can use when the urge to drink visits again.

Start thinking today not tomorrow.

D
Old 03-29-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree Dee, I'm pretty sure I know what to do, but doing it is another thing altogether. That is where I'm falling short obviously.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Thomas. Saw your other thread and it wasn't bad anyway. I've posted worse sober.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am going to set a modest goal of 30 days with no alcohol. Then see if I can do another 30. I think that's a realistic approach at this point.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Try one day...then another...repeat glad you are better.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thomas, falling short is why we are all here. If making a plan is all it was about this site wouldn't exist. As far as I can tell, working out a plan individually is what this site is about. Has been for me anyways.

IE Support in working out our plans, the good and the bad, no judgement... it isn't a competition here it is about support in the struggles we all face every day working out our plans.

My advice. Stop drinking. This escalates quickly and you won't even know it. Just stop. Now. All the "problems" with quitting fail in comparison with continuing on thinking this is a lifestyle. My deciding factor was, either fail at being a drunk and not living how I wanted, or turning my collar up and face the change full force. It really isn't that bad, just a change.

Best of luck friend, you only get older from here
Old 03-29-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mikie9 View Post
My advice. Stop drinking. This escalates quickly and you won't even know it. Just stop. Now.
Very true. Each relapse made my alcoholism worse. We all speak from experience. I tried committing to permanent abstinence before, but really, I wasn't there. I had a period of mourning a couple of weeks ago, but I really had to do it. Mourn alcohol. Do it and see how it feels. Just stop drinking.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It gets harder the longer you wait. And it is hard no matter when you do it, but it DOES get harder